Nurse managers-Do you think tattoos look professional?

Specialties Management

Published

I am curious as to how nursing managers feel about tattoos. I know some people love tattoos and some people hate tattoos. Since nurse managers are in charge of hiring nurses, I am wondering how they feel about tattoos.

Specializes in ED/ICU/TELEMETRY/LTC.

I am an ADON. I personally find tattoos to be very unprofessional. And the older a person gets, and make no mistake, you will be old a lot longer than you are young (if you are lucky) the more unfortunate they become. I know they are the person preference of the person who has the tattoo. I guess I would just find it hard, on first impression, to trust the life of my child, husband, parent, to a person with "Live Free or Die", or Sponge Bob tattooed on their forearm.

If I was a patient, I would wonder if the employee has been drinking or do drugs before coming to work as tattoos are associated with the bar and drug crowd. As a side note, I also find it funny that alot of those employees that have tattoos are always short on money yet they have money to get another tattoo. Go figure.

Specializes in ICU, CM, Geriatrics, Management.

Unprofessional.

I agree, piercings (other than ears) and tats should be removed/covered and on women look even more unprofessional. This is not an opinion, but rather a fact of society in a professional environment. I also know of hospitals that have nurses that have them, but they are not allowed to be visible , it just happens that the supervisor turns the other cheek. Personally, I have one, but it is totally hidden and I would never share with staff that I have one.

Specializes in Emergency, Trauma, Critical Care.

Wow....I'm amazed at the amount of bias in these posts. I agree that tattoos should be covered in a professional environment. However, the assumptions of the "bar/drug crowd or the prison crowd" really as me floored. The majority of nurses that I know have at least one tattoo, if not several. All of them keep their covered. I thought many were aware of the artistic expression that currently reigns with tattoos. I have three, one was due to my love for dolphins and represents the swimming with dolphins I have done, another represents family, and lastly, one represents my love for my husband (no not his name). All are hidden and unable to be seen unless I wear a tank top, then one can be seen.

You might be amazed at how many nurses who take care of your loved ones have one.

Many other cultures use tattoos to indicate history or tell their story. Not saying we should go around with bones in our noses, but perhaps be aware of cultural elements that even are now present in modern societies.

Specializes in Med surg, Critical Care, LTC.

I have a tatoo on each ankle, and a nose stud. I had the nose stud for approx 16 years. Non of these things have kept me from being professional or doing my job. I have been hired as an ADON and DON with these items showing - since I always wear skirts to interviews. I have never been asked to remove my nose ring and would lose a job rather that do it. I am also 50 years old. My tats are 1 and 2 years old respectively. I plan to expand upon the one on my left ankle.

It is a new world, just as in the past, attire that was once "banned" is now commonplace. My nose ring (stud) is small and most people don't even see it. My tats are personal to me, and I chose the least likely place on my body to wrinkle and age.

You will see a time when the President of the United States has tats and or piercings. Maybe not in my lifetime, but certainly in our younger nurses lifetimes.

I have never been into drugs or gangs - one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I have two folders FULL of awards for patient excellence - and you would be lucky to have me as your nurse, because I am experienced, have excellent assessment skills, and quite frankly, I ROCK as a nurse. Don't judge a book by it's cover, or you may lose a great employee or boss.

Blessings

Specializes in PTSD, Mental Health.

Oh shoot.....I wish I would have known about all this BEFORE I got my dead brother's initials tattooed on my ankle!!!!!!

Crap....and now I can't seem to find the sarcasm icon.

Specializes in ICU, CM, Geriatrics, Management.
Our facility does not permit tats or piercings on anything but your ears and you are limited to two, at that...

Baby, would you clarify what State your facility is in?

Thanks.

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

Wow.Where a I work tats and piercings are no problem.My charge nurse has a large one one her leg and in the summer she wears capris to work.One of our male nurses has visible tats as well.

Specializes in Neurosciences, cardiac, critical care.
If I was a patient, I would wonder if the employee has been drinking or do drugs before coming to work as tattoos are associated with the bar and drug crowd. As a side note, I also find it funny that alot of those employees that have tattoos are always short on money yet they have money to get another tattoo. Go figure.

You HAVE to be kidding me, right? So if I have two initials tattooed on the inside of my wrist, very small & neat but still visible, you're going to be checking my arms for track marks? (I don't have that tattoo by the way). Many people who have neither do drugs nor drink alcohol have tattoos- they can be a very meaningful symbol of something that is important to that person.

I have 2 tats and they are both in places that are covered up when I'm at work, but I make no secret of the fact that I have them.

Frankly, I find your stereotype extremely offensive. Many of my friends have tattoos (usually a small one in a place that can be concealed if needed), and they are by no means struggling to pay bills because of a "tattoo addiction" that you seem convinced exists.

I'm curious how you treat your patients when they test positive for illegal substances since you seem to be pretty judgmental. Do you start checking them for tattoos?

I think that for the most part, tattoos should be covered up at work. They are not widely accepted as professional, but I also think that the decision to cover up tats or not depends on the content of the tat. If it is anything that could be interpreted as offensive, then by all means cover it. I doubt that many people would find the swallow on my foot offensive if it was showing.

Specializes in Neurosciences, cardiac, critical care.

Just FYI, this is my 2nd. None of my patients ever see it, but many of my co-workers have, including my manager & director.

Tattoos have been around for century's, they were not criminal markings but markings of authority and standing in the community, of knowledge. My Maori ancestors had tattoos depicting their tribal and personal history.

Yes times have changed but you can not discriminate because of what a person decided to do to their body. People also make mistakes when they are young and silly (I am not implying that people with tattoos have made a mistake, but some do regret their choice later on). I am sure you have all done something you have regretted at some point. How would you feel if you were discriminated because of that action?

If it is offensive by way of language or meaning of the tattoo itself I understand the need to cover it up but otherwise why should people have to?

As for the oldies not liking it as it was uncommon for women to have them in their day, the internet and smart phones and many other things where not common in their day. Does that mean we should not use them for fear of upsetting them? I have a friend at uni studying nursing who has tatts all up both arms and has long dreads. She works in a nursing home and has for quite some time. She is very well respected by staff and residents alike because of the way she works and the service she provides. Not the way she looks.

+ Add a Comment