GCU Summer 2012

U.S.A. Arizona

Published

Hello,

My name is Keisha and I am currently taking the prereqs for GCU's summer 2012 program. Is anyone else thinking about applying?

My first choice is the program at St Joe's.

ME TOO!! I'm so excited! I was so freaking nervous because they sent two acceptance letters to me for other people and then "revoked" them, but finally ------ sent one to me!!

Specializes in Women's Health.

The same thing happened to me too! I received an email for somebody else. I replied to the email and told them that they sent it to the wrong person. She apologized and said that if I was accepted, my enrollment counselor would send me an email. It seemed like forever before I got m 2nd email!!!! I'm so excited though!

What were your grades like if I can ask?! I had one C. so it was awful waiting to see if I'd get accepted!

Hey,

My grades were pretty good. I think my GPA is 3.6 (science GPA is 3.8). I had 2 C's, but I retook the classes to improve my grade. I was trying to get the GPA scholarship. My TEAS scores were decent.

My enrollment counselor told me that I had a great chance of getting in. My GPA was good, I have a previous degree, and I have CNA experience.

You should be proud of yourself! You got in :yeah:

I was nervous because my only C class I'm actually retaking right now so I was like...UM...I dunno! haha! I didn't have a previous degree so that made me nervous too, but I had a lot of credit hours. WELL I'm just glad I got accepted. I'll still try and get the B or A in my class now though!!

Specializes in Pediatric, ED.

Congratulations to all those that were accepted for Summer '12 program! You are in for a rigorous and a very exciting program. You will be amazed how much you will learn in such a short time (our classes are 8 weeks long.. midterm during the 4th week and final exam on 8th weeks of each course)! I will try to post a list of some great books to have on hand for when you start your clinical rotation and to do your write-ups for care plans. They have been life savers for us each week! Good luck to you all! :)

Stoofanie - Your hard work paid off!!!! I'll see you at the Health/Immunization orientation on Friday, February 24th!

Lizzyru - Thank you so much! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Johnnyarei: Yes you definitely will! I will probably see you at St. Joseph's too!! :)

Do any of you know how the St. Joseph's program is set up? Like morning classes? clinicals? Or anything??

I know it sounds dumb that I don't know! I just wanted to focus on getting in first!

Stoofanie - Definitely! I will need a study buddy and a friend going through this journey with me! A girl in the program at St Joe's last year emailed me the schedule for last year's blocks 1 and 2. It will probably be close to the same for our group too. Basically, it's mixed up. Some half days and some full days. There are no classes on Wednesdays or the weekends.

That sounds awesome already! I actually work full time too...! So I was worried, but not really concerned if I had to go to part time or something! Yeah a study buddy would be nice! I can't wait! It'll be hard but at least we finally know we're actually on the path to graduation now!!

Specializes in Pediatric, ED.

Here is a list of books that a lot of us use every week for our care plans:

Carpentino-Moyet, Lynda (2010) Nursing Diagnosis; Application to clinical Practice. Amber, PA. Walters Kuwer Health |Lippencott Williams & Wilkins.

Deglin, Judith Hopfer, Sanoski, Cynthia A., Vallerand, April Hazard (2011) Davis’s drug Guide for Nurses (10th Ed.) Philadelphia, PA F.A. Davis Company

Gulanick, Meg., Myers, Judith L. (2011) Nursing Care Plans: Diagnoses, Interventions and Outcomes (7th Ed.) St. Louis, MO. Elesevier Mosby.

Nettina, Sandra M. (2010) Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice (9th Ed.) Ambler, PA. Wolters Kluwer Health | Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Pagana, Kathleen Deska. Pagana, Timothy, J. Mosby’s Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests St. Louis, MO. Mosby (I have an older edition.. not sure what the most current one is)

You will most definitely want to pick up a Davis's drug guide. Within that guide, it will give you an access code that will allow you to search for new drugs that didn't make it to the newest edition of the guide or all the others just at your finger tips. I also have a guide downloaded to my iphone which really helps. You will also want to pick up a Diagnostic and Lab test results book for a reference. It is really handy to have when you are working on your care plans. I have 3 nursing care plan books but if I were to pick just one, I would go with Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice by Nettina.

Good luck! :)

it looks like I didn't get into the program. I guess I will try again next semester. Good luck to everyone who got in.

+ Add a Comment