harder to get a job with a phone interview?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I read somewhere that it's harder to get a job with a phone interview (this interview book wasn't specifically talking about nursing, FYI), because the employer can't get a "feel" for you. My situation is that I'm in Louisiana where I've now been working 2 years as my first job, but I want to move back to Atlanta (born and bred there, went to school there, family there). I'm kind of befuddled as to the logistics of actually interviewing, though - it seems like it would be hard to get a face-to-face interview, as it's a 12-hour drive either way, which means that I need to schedule at least 2 days. (Admittedly, I haven't yet looked thoroughly into airplane fare.) I might be able to do that (I get 2 or 3 days off at a time - although my 3-days-off are Fri-Sat-Sun, and interviewers aren't interviewing on Saturday) - but it seems more practical to maybe ask for a phone interview. Btw, my work schedule is planned weeks in advance.

So IS it harder to get a job with a phone interview? Do employers hire from phone interviews?

I'm thinking that maybe I should even just get a travel nursing job in Atlanta so that I can be there, and be able to look at hospitals and interview more easily.

Thoughts? (When I took the Louisiana job, I didn't really consider how I would ever get BACK to Atlanta. oops!:p)

Specializes in ICU.

The easiest time I ever had getting a job was through a phone interview.

Specializes in ER, ICU.

It is becoming more common, I have gotten at least one job that way. I wouldn't ask for one just to avoid travel, but if they want to come on a day you can't, then ask if that is an option.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

In my experience, I've found that phone interviews were usually the first round of interviewing, and if the employer liked what they heard they'd call me in for in-person interviews. Then again, I've never applied out of state or anywhere that I couldn't easily get to for an in-person interview.

OP: I'd ask--after all, what do you have to lose by asking for a phone interview? The worst they can say is No.

Specializes in Trauma Surgery, Nursing Management.

Oh sure, you can get hired via phone interview. I was living in the same city as the hospital I applied to when I was starting my nursing career, and the NM called me to schedule an interview. She was really laid back, and we started chatting. A few minutes into the conversation, she asked, "Canes, do you mind if we just go ahead and do the interview over the phone to speed up the process? If it makes you feel more comfortable to come in, then please say so. But I think that we can get this hammered out over the phone if you feel comfortable."

Oh yeah! I not only felt comfortable, but also ELATED that the process was sped up! I got the job and really loved my NM. She was as laid back in person as she was on the phone. Loved her.

Phone interviews are becoming more commonplace. I wonder if skyping will become the next commonplace interview?

Specializes in ER.

Phone interviews are becoming more commonplace. I wonder if skyping will become the next commonplace interview?

What a great idea!! I am hoping to relocate to California within the next 6 months and would love to be able to interview by phone since I am in N. Carolina!

Specializes in Long term care, Rehab/Addiction/Recovery.

Phone interview? I have spoke to perspective employers on the phone, never considered it an interview. Great idea though..don't have to dry clean my suit or put on pantyhose.:rolleyes:

+ Add a Comment