Is it hard to switch from Utilization management to bedside nursing?

Specialties Case Management

Published

I will be taking a Utilization management/review position as a new grad RN. My passion is bedside nursing, but I will take this job because I desperately need one, and I will still be using my RN license under this position anyway.

My question is- will it be difficult for me to be hired as a bedside nurse in the future? (I am hoping the knowledge I learn will override the fact that I had not been able acquire any nursing skills while doing UR.)

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.
my question is- will it be difficult for me to be hired as a bedside nurse in the future? (i am hoping the knowledge i learn will override the fact that i had not been able acquire any nursing skills while doing ur.)

i think you will have trouble being hired unless employers become desperate in the next few years. i cannot imagine you will be the first choice for a bedside position after being a ur nurse without prior clinical work experience. however, who knows? all you can do is apply.

by the way, a lot of ur in my job involves critical thinking, obtaining and implementing orders, and influencing medical and supportive staff to assist with moving the patient along the health care continuum especially when they do not meet criteria. i am able to do all of this because of the skill set i picked up working as bedside nurse.

will you receive training to understand nursing, allied health treatment, and medical courses of treatment? if not, you may want to find out how you will be able to perform your job successfully without a clinical nursing background. maybe you will not have to critically/clinically think without following a set number of protocols, where you will defer complicated cases to others? in any case, gl!

fscj123

1 Post

Amazing that a UR position would be offered to a new grad as it is a poor fit. I think a

medical /surgical underpinning is invaluable career training for life in nursing. I have been a nurse for 36 years in the hospital, critical care, home and case managment areas for what it may be worth to you.

nursingosaurus

38 Posts

I have to agree with the member who wrote that it might be a bad fit. However, as a relatively new nurse (it will be four years for me next year), I can most certainly understand the need to take a job because it is all you can find. I had to do the same thing and sadly it did not work out for me, but I changed jobs and now have been at the same place for three years! It is working directly with patients in the day surgery setting....it is tough, and I actually am in the opposite position as you....

I want to take a break or at least try something different from direct patient care, and Utilization Review is one of the things I am looking at. Please tell me what you find out, and most importantly, keep looking for other jobs that might be a closer match to what you desire to do! Good luck!

nursingosaurus

38 Posts

PS- lots of credit and admiration to ANYONE who is a medical surgical nurse and actually likes it. Working directly at the bedside IS NOT for me....some people have the very stringent belief that without any exceptions, the nurse should always get a lot of medical surgical experience before going to another area. It seems that such a stringent "always should" point of view is too inclusive and does not account for the fact that many people such as myself might have learning disabilities and that another area of nursing might work better for them. Regardless of where you find yourself, I wish you much success ...NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

FunRN510

1 Post

I may be a naive New Grad, but I think that not all New Grads are built the same. Many have extensive Management and quality control experience. Some have hospital experience in another format that has showed them much of the continuum. I think with proper training and mentorship, many different areas of Nursing can be "starter" areas. Some Nurses probably need the research and knowledge that UR can bring before they could become good nurses on the floor. The Vice versa is true for many other Nurses.

Advice is just that, and if you get the opportunity somewhere, embrace it and be the best you can be.

+ Add a Comment