Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

Well, having read this and other information, there doesn't seem to be any reason to get an Associate's degree. I am just concerned with the fact that my husband would have to be supporting both of us on his salary for the one year, but hopefully I'd be able to get a job if/when I graduate (and that seems likely from what has been said about the employment rate for SBU grads). I just spoke with a former professor who I had at Stony Brook when I went there for my first Bachelor's degree and it gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling, because I really enjoyed receiving my education there. I love the fact that the agency that I work for wants me as a nurse if I get the degree... I just feel like this is meant to happen, and I truly hope that I get into SBU's program.

Jenn, thank you for the input about beth israel. That was another school that i looked into before, but for a number of reasons decided not to go for it.

No problem. I wasn't all that fond of the program and they were all over the place changing the program constantly at the last minute. I wouldn't recommend it.

Its just not for me, works for some people... pLUS its an associates degree.

Did anyone here apply for Pace's CDP program?

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
Psych is at SBUH, Mather in Port Jeff, Zucker-Hillside in Queens or the VA Hosp in Northport.

I forgot to mention that Pilgrim State Hosp in Brentwood (I think that is where it is) is another location for psych clinicals. The whole hospital is psych, not just a unit like in other locations. So if you're looking to go into psych nursing (unlike moi :D) ... this may be a good place to get your clinical experience!

Did anyone here apply for Pace's CDP program?

I think I'm going to apply if I don't get into Stony Brook as a back up. I talked to someone in the nursing department and she said you can apply up until June 1st. It's just so expensive.

I thought about applying to Pace but I have only heard bad things about their program. What do you guys know about it?

Well, I have heard "bad" things about it too, in the sense that it is VERY difficult to get through. I have heard fewer negative comments about their two-year program, though. I checked their pass rates since 2008, and they had a 98% pass rate for 2010 and it looks like the class size has steadily increased, which suggests that perhaps the program is getting a bit better. It is definitely more expensive (I think I figured it out to be around 44k) but seems like a reasonable back-up plan, and less expensive than Columbia or NYU.

I forgot to mention that Pilgrim State Hosp in Brentwood (I think that is where it is) is another location for psych clinicals. The whole hospital is psych, not just a unit like in other locations. So if you're looking to go into psych nursing (unlike moi :D) ... this may be a good place to get your clinical experience!

Thanks Paco for all of the info! I am hoping to get Stony Brook, since I would love to work there after graduating...first I have to get in...one step at a time!

I wanted to ask you also if you know anyone in the program who has kids? Just curious how they are doing...

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
I wanted to ask you also if you know anyone in the program who has kids? Just curious how they are doing...

YES, there are several in the ABSN with kids. They seem to be managing well from what I can see. No one is really complaining about any conflicts (one of my closest friends in the program has 3 young ones!). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they planned the entire academic year with them in mind.

YES, there are several in the ABSN with kids. They seem to be managing well from what I can see. No one is really complaining about any conflicts (one of my closest friends in the program has 3 young ones!). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they planned the entire academic year with them in mind.

Thanks, that is good to know, I am sure the success is all in the planning. I have 2 and we are settling in to our new area and school, so hopefully by next year all will be as smooth as it can possibly be with two kids. :p

Well, I have heard "bad" things about it too, in the sense that it is VERY difficult to get through. I have heard fewer negative comments about their two-year program, though. I checked their pass rates since 2008, and they had a 98% pass rate for 2010 and it looks like the class size has steadily increased, which suggests that perhaps the program is getting a bit better. It is definitely more expensive (I think I figured it out to be around 44k) but seems like a reasonable back-up plan, and less expensive than Columbia or NYU.

I've heard bad things about it as well. I'm going to wait until after I hear from Stony Brook and possibly apply if I don't get in. It is one of the less expensive private schools (but still a lot).

+ Add a Comment