JCCC RN program

U.S.A. Kansas

Published

Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear if they got an interview for the '11 Fall start for JCCC RN Program?:eek:

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to those who were accepted to JCCC! I am finishing my first year in the JCCC ADN program right now. It is a great program - you will love the faculty and will learn to be a great RN! In response to the question about typical hours, JCCC requires that you keep Monday - Friday from 8am-5pm open, HOWEVER, you are not in class or clinical for 8 hours a day Monday thru Friday!! Once you start and get into the groove you will have lecture for 4-5 hours every Monday and will have clinical usually 2 days per week. Tests are always on Friday and you always have the Thursday prior to a test off. Sometimes you have labs or simulation on other days. You will have lots of 8 hour class days initially, and then it will slow down. I would be happy to answer any more questions you have. Don't worry - enjoy your summer! You will figure it all out - doing the applications and waiting for acceptance letters is the worst part - it is all uphill from here! :)

And I also want to say to those who haven't been accepted or are having a hard time - PLEASE HANG IN THERE! Applying to nursing school is the most frustrating, demoralizing process you will ever go through!!! I had a long road there myself, trust me! There is a spot for you somewhere, keep your heads up and power through! There is only so much that you can control. Don't get down on yourselves. I have been in your shoes and I promise that it gets better!!!!

Hello everyone....I'm new to this board and just found out that I did get into the RN program at JCCC. Congrats to the rest of you in as well! I'm having a lot of anxiety about the schedule! Rexy - could you expand any on what the schedule is like (total schedule...theory, clinicals, etc.)? Is it possible to find a free day every week to work? How often do you have 6 AM clinicals? I have three kids to get to school every morning and home afterwards and a husband that travels, so I'm really trying to figure out if I can cash in on favors, or if it will go beyond being able to do that. Any info would be so appreciated!

Congratulations! Did you go to the "mandatory" thing today at the Carlsen Center about the study JCCC is participating in this fall? /yawn... But it will be nice to have all our ATI fees paid for the whole program!

From listening to questions today, it sounds like we won't be doing very much 6am stuff...in fact it sounds like 8am is a normal time to be expected to report for class or clinical or simulation lab. I'm in the same boat with 3 kids to get off to school/preschool and a traveling husband but I don't think I'm going to have to call in too many favors...at least not the first year.

Hi Jillianbeans....yep, I was at the meeting re: the research study. However, I didn't hear anything about clinicals being more at 8:00 AM than 6:00 AM....maybe I missed something? I sure hope you are right though. Did they say anything about how often we'd be going until 5:00? I am hoping I can continue working 1 day a week as well. I have all my other classes done, so all I have left to do is the 5 core nursing classes. It is definitely going to be challenging, but that's okay. Are you in OP or surrounding area? Congrats to you on getting in. I'm sure I'll meet you in person soon!

I can't speak for what your schedule will be, as I'm sure it changes every semester and I know that the study significantly affects it as well. But...

Here was the general schedule for my first semester:

The first 3-4 weeks of the semester we had class 3-4 days a week for about 8 hours. It usually started at 8am. Once clinicals started, we went to Monday classes, which were Monday afternoons, from 12-5 or 1-5. Classes will be very heavy at first - long days and tons of info! However, it will slow down A LOT once clinicals start. You will have about 3-4 weeks of only class content before you start clinicals.

My clinicals first semester began at 6:30am, and we often had to be there slightly earlier than that to get all the info on our patients. As far as I remember, all the first semester clinicals started at 6:30 or 6:45am and most went until 3:30. This might change every semester - we did not have any evening or weekend clinicals our first semester, but that may change. I had clinical two days per week.

Lab days were varied - some Fridays, but I can't really remember!

To the person who asked about 1 free day per week for working - that really depends. Theoretically, you should eventually have one day a week with no school obligations - however there is ALWAYS clinical paperwork, lab time, or a ton of studying to be done! I do know people who work every weekend. I know that for my job, I have to request my days several months in advance. Because of that, I tend to work mostly weekends, simply because I can't predict what I will need to do during the week early enough to be sure about scheduling a day of work. Many people work, some people don't. I do not know anyone that works full time during the program. Most people that I know are PRN and work weekends.

Also, we only had simulation twice during our first semester. I have no idea what your sim schedule will be like next semester, so I won't even try to give you an idea!

Don't panic about the schedule. No exaggeration, at least 75% of the people in my class have children! The school will give you the schedule early and will give you a better idea of what to expect, but everyone is able to figure it out. There will obviously be some changes that need to be made and adjustments to get used to...but you can do it!

Great info rexy and extremely helpful for me. Thanks! So, it sounds like you had basically every Thursday off? If I could just manage to work every Thursday, that would really make things easier. They did mention something in passing today at the research study meeting about having clinicals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so that sounds like it is the norm as far as clinical days. I am hoping to use my weekends to get a lot of studying, clinical prep, etc. done. It is definitely going to be crazy! Thanks again for the info.

Specializes in Oncology/hematology.

I'm bringing up an old thread to see if anyone else got their letters yet this year? I just got mine today and am so excited. Would love to hear from others.

Rubato-

I got mine too this year!! I'm so excited. have you had your interview? If so, how did it go!?

Mine is tuesday and I'm shaking in my boots! :w00t:

Rubato-

I got mine too this year!! I'm so excited. have you had your interview? If so, how did it go!?

Mine is tuesday and I'm shaking in my boots! :w00t:

I had my interview last Monday. I think it went well, but you never know. Good luck. Hopefully, we'll both be going in this August together!

I have been checking the mail hoping to see something, but I am glad I haven't yet. I just read the part about people that are accepted are notified by certified mail and people that are not accepted are notified by regular mail! If I had found what I was looking for then I would have failed. :p

I am a little worried because I am about to move, in the next 20 days, and don't know how well the letter will follow me if I do.

I have been checking the mail hoping to see something, but I am glad I haven't yet. I just read the part about people that are accepted are notified by certified mail and people that are not accepted are notified by regular mail! If I had found what I was looking for then I would have failed. :p

I am a little worried because I am about to move, in the next 20 days, and don't know how well the letter will follow me if I do.

I just got mine today! I'm in! Hopefully, you'll be getting yours within a few days and won't have to worry about the move affecting you.

I just got mine today! I'm in! Hopefully, you'll be getting yours within a few days and won't have to worry about the move affecting you.

I will be joining you this fall! I got my acceptance letter Monday for JCCC as well! Can't wait for August to get here!!!!

+ Add a Comment