JCCC RN program

U.S.A. Kansas

Published

Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear if they got an interview for the '11 Fall start for JCCC RN Program?:eek:

Edewalt,

may I ask what your plan B is? Will you wait and apply again next year? I won't be applying to JCCC again, I suppose I will pursue a BSN. I don't want to wait another year to apply to a 2 year program. It's frustrating competeing with 4.0 GPA's and top notch science scores. I feel like I will never be good enough!

KSRN2B-

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am definitely considering KCKCC, and plan on meeting with an advisor once I wrap my head around things. I have decided not to puruse Brown Mackie, because I would prefer to not have my degree be from a place that is not as reputable as some other programs in the metro area. I was wondering though, have you heard anything about National American University? I have heard they have a 2 year BSN program (once all pre-reqs are done, which mine are for the most part), and their application deadline is June 1st. I was thinking I might meet with someone over there too, because if accepted, the program starts in the fall. I'm definitely interested in checking out KCKCC though, I'd say that's my 2nd place, after JCCC.

PaigeAlayne-

I feel your pain! It's tough having to wait another year for a 2 year program.. my only issue is that although my GPA at JCCC is decent, my overall GPA isn't so great, so BSN programs are probably not an option for me, atleast right now. If I can recieve my RN from somewhere, I feel as though there wouldn't be too much trouble applying to a bridgeover program to recieve my BSN. My plan B as of now is to explore other programs in the KC area, find out application deadlines (I've noticed many of them are around the same time as JCCC to late March), and apply to as many progams as I can before the fall semester starts. I do plan on looking into NAU as well, even though I'm not sure how credible the program is. If I don't get in anywhere for the fall, or even the spring, I plan on spending the next two semesters taking classes that will pump up my GPA and are pre-reqs at other nursing schools but not at JCCC, such as Pharmacology and Pathophysiology, Nutrition, etc. I've been in college since I got out of high school.. I'm only 22, but if I had stuck with my "cookie cutter" plan of a Psychology degree from KU, I would be graduating in a month! But that wouldn't be fulfilling to me and I feel like nursing is the way to go. I'm just exhausted from school; applications, transcripts, meetings with counselors, etc. So I understand what you mean about not wanting to wait another year to apply for a 2 year program, but at this point, that feels better to me than attempting a BSN program and having it be at least 3-4 years because of different pre-reqs and admissions criteria. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, my plan B is just an idea at this point. What are your plans?

Sounds like we are in the same boat. Though I have a sort of plan B, I really don't have anything set. I am 21, and took a year off of school after high school to figure out what I wanted. I worked at a nursing home for a year, fell in love with the residents, and decided long term care was right for me. I excel in most of my classes but science courses aren't my strong suit. I get B's and the occasional C in science courses and A's in my other classes. I feel your pain about the different pre-reqs required for each different BSN school and that is VERY frustrating. I am from Salina so I considered going back home to live and applying to Kansas Weslyan, but if I don't get in I made the move for nothing and geared my pre-reqs toward a school that I may not be able to use at another school. I am trying to avoid KU because of how expensive it is. I would consider KCKCC but it's an even further drive from Lawrence and I am not sure I'm willing to pack up and move even further from home. My sister is getting married in a year and as her maid of honor, and her living in Texas, being ever further away from her would be hard. I feel so anxious all the time from the constant changing of my plans! I am also frustrated that my grades are stopping me. I don't feel that I should be held back by a 3.5 but I am. I wish I could scream out that my grades don't reflect how good of a nurse I will be, and I'm sure the same applies to you. Pretty overwhelmed over here!

I know how you feel, but we're pretty opposite. My overall GPA isn't great, but I get great grades in my science courses. I got an A in microbiology (I've never worked so hard for a grade, and been more proud of myself for accomplishing an A), which was definitely the hardest class I've taken thus far, and my others are A's and B's as well. It's my overall GPA that isn't treating me very well, even though I do just fine in the classes that they want the high grades in.

Sounds like there are lots of options for you, even though they will complicate your life somewhat. Maybe consider just taking the summer to think about what you really want; if there's even a chance that you'll get in to JCCC next year, is it worth the wait for you? With all your pre-reqs geared towards JCCC, if you end up somewhere else, it might tack on another semester or two to accomplish the requirements elsewhere. It's a sticky situation we're both in!

Edewalt, I am not very familiar with NAU. I understand it is really expensive, so I opted not to pursue for plan A or B. It may work well for you and your circumstances. The best of luck to you!

Thank you so much! Good luck to you as well :)

I had my interview at JCCC and it was so nerve-wracking! The interview is scheduled for a 20 minute slot, and the interviewer had a dozen (or maybe it was ten?) questions to ask. She started off by introducing herself and then saying "I have x number of questions, so let's get started!" Some of them were typical "Why do you want to get into the ADN program at JCCC?" and "In 30 seconds, name the three most important qualities that you think a nurse needs to have", but then there were some oddball scenario "What would you do in this situation?" questions too. The time really flew past! At the end she asked if I had any questions for her, so I asked the one I'd thought up ahead of time, and then our time was up. She shook my hand and told me that she felt I was a strong candidate, and that decisions would be made by mid-May...

I answered the questions the best way that I could think of, and I don't think I gave any "wrong" answers, so we shall see...

One thing I should have asked her but didn't think to ask was what the hours are like for a student who does get in. I need to submit my preschool hours request by the end of next week!

Congratulations! It sounds like it went great! When I went to the seminar in October, she said it was like a full time job monday through friday. She said the typical hours were between 8am-5pm, but that the hours do vary for the different days. If you need a schedule now, you should look on JCCC's credit class search for Fall 2011 and type in NURS 124, which is the first nursing class. There's the entire schedule posted! It'll show the days and times.. Hopefully that helps you out! Keep me updated on whether you get in or not, although I'm sure you will.. Congratulations :)

Congrats! It sounds like you have nothing to worry about! Now the hard part, patiently waiting. :eek: Good luck to you!

I got my acceptance packet today!!! It was sent by certified mail so I had to sign for it...woohooooooo!

Congratulations jillianbeans!

Yay!! Congratulations :) I'm truly happy for you :D

+ Add a Comment