Nurse managers-Do you think tattoos look professional?

Specialties Management

Published

I am curious as to how nursing managers feel about tattoos. I know some people love tattoos and some people hate tattoos. Since nurse managers are in charge of hiring nurses, I am wondering how they feel about tattoos.

Specializes in Medical Surgical & Nursing Manaagement.

Many times tattoos are meaningful to the wearer. I just hired a young lady who had a breast cancer ribbon on her wrist.......of course I didn't ask but I'm sure there is a connection.

I guess there is not one answer, it depends on what it is, where it is, how big it is etc.

against our work rules. all tattos have to be covered even on your hands

Specializes in Hospital Education Coordinator.

Personally, I have seen OLD people with tattos who looked like they had been tie-dyed. Our facility policy is tattos have to be covered. Sometimes they scare people (kids, anyone who relates them to gang members, etc). A co-worker has a large one on her ankle (tough to hide). She wears a really big bandage.

Specializes in RN, BSN, CHDN.

Not bothered either way to be truthful as long as the employee does their job

i don't know of any hospital in which tattoos are tolerated. they must be concealed in all cases.

in most cultures tattoos are reserved to the criminal element. USA is one of the few 1st world countries in which they are common outside the criminal element.

Specializes in Emergency, Administration.

I believe that it is unprofessional. It is showing personal attributes of an individual that shouldn't be shared in public environment. I liken it to high thong underwear and tongue rings. Those are much too personal to share when upholding a company image.

Specializes in ICU, ER, nursing admin, med/surg, flight.

Haha. I disagree. I am an RN, and have travelled in over 100 hospital ER's and I have a TON of tattoos. I am very professional and work extremely hard. In the over 100 hospitals that I have worked in, I have NEVER been told or asked to "cover them up." The hospital I work for now and have for the past year has no problem with tattoos. Tattoo's are not only displayed within the criminal element, but they have been a militaristic symbol of pride for generations worldwide.

I have much more of a problem with people who have tongue studs. I have interviewed (and not hired) many applicants with these studs in their tongues. They can't speak coherently and sound like they are talking with a mouth full of food. Some even sit and twirl it around during the interview. I find that I can't focus on anything but their mouth and how distracting it is.

If I didn't hire people with tattoos my work force would be cut by about 75%.

Kyasi

Specializes in Sub-Acute/Psychiatric/Detox.

I'm no nurse manager. But I find any tattoo that cannot be covered unprofessional. As an example if you work in LTC your working the geriatric crowd. A tattoo on a women was virtually unheard of in their generation.

Specializes in NICU, Post-partum.

Our facility does not permit tats or piercings on anything but your ears and you are limited to two, at that.

I agree with the policy.

Probably not, but I have one and I love it! I know I'll never be the CEO and I can cover it up easily so.....

+ Add a Comment