JCCC RN program

U.S.A. Kansas

Published

You are reading page 2 of JCCC RN program

Charesa

8 Posts

Youre so sweet! Let me tell you, I feel better already chatting with others in the same boat!!! Im so obsessive though, this is all that Ive been thinking about!:eek: - Ill let you know if/when I get a letter!!!!

Have a good afternoon!

Charesa

8 Posts

Hey! I got my interview letter! - I set it up for next Tuesday morning!!!!:eek::eek::eek: - let the nerves begin!

jillianbeans

22 Posts

I got my interview letter today too! I'm waiting to set up the time until tomorrow, so I can do it without kids screaming and dogs yapping in the background :rolleyes:

Good luck!

edewalt

15 Posts

AHHH congratulations you two!! I still haven't gotten anything.. I'm getting super nervous!! Hopefully it's coming tomorrow :) I'll keep you updated!!

edewalt

15 Posts

Well, looks like I didn't make it into the top 110. Congratulations to you though, I hope you both get in.

Charesa

8 Posts

Did you not get a letter? you mentioned you moved? Maybe the post office is just slow?

jillianbeans

22 Posts

edewalt...I am sorry, if you got a "no" letter...I know how much that stings, as I already received one of those from KU-Med's BSN program :( But...if you haven't heard anything, then maybe it is not what you think. I heard that the "no" letters were sent last week. In your shoes, if I hadn't heard anything yet, I'd call the nursing dept. and just ask. It's possible your letter was misdirected, and you only have 5 days from the receipt of the letter to schedule your interview.

Interviews start next Monday, but I scheduled mine for Thursday. Eek! I am kind of freaked out about the interview now :eek::eek::eek:

edewalt

15 Posts

I got the letter, it just wasn't the answer I was looking and hoping for. I plan on speaking with a counselor to find out how to make it happen for next year, or explore my options elsewhere. I did study at KU right after highschool, and I ended up blowing off my classess and wrecking my GPA. Since I've moved home, however, I've been slowly rebuilding it and doing really well at JCCC. Although my JCCC GPA is high, my cumulative GPA isn't so great, so I plan on spending the next year bulking up my GPA so hopefully I will get at least an interview next year!!

Don't worry about the interview, I've heard it's a piece of cake! I do know, though, that they will ask you why you want to be a nurse, and they don't want the cliche answers such as "I just want to help people" and things like "I like the job security, pay and hours". So think long and hard about why you truly want to be a nurse! I'm sure you guys will do great.. wish me luck for next year, and post on here about how the interview goes for you! I'm totally interested in keeping up with you guys and hearing whether or not you get accepted into the program as well. Best of luck to you both, although I'm sure you don't need it :)

If you don't mind my asking, are your GPA's super high? It's just that I think my GPA is what ruined it for me this year. Although I meet the minimum requirements, it's definitely not a 4.0. Talk with you soon.. er.. type with you soon? hehe.

jillianbeans

22 Posts

Edewalt- My JCCC GPA is 4.0 (after about 30 hours) and my career GPA is right around 3.5. I have a BA from Florida State, but it's not in a science field so I've spent the past year or so taking prerequisites at JCCC. All told I have about 150 credit hours...the 120 for my BA and then those I've taken at JCCC. I took the ACT last February at Olathe Northwest and my composite score was 30, and my scientific reasoning score was a 30. I know that GPA, ACT and prereqs are the criteria they used to select for the interviews. I'm also a JoCo resident, and you get a few extra points for that too...

You might be able to make some pretty huge improvements to your GPA by re-taking courses that you failed in the past. I think that the new grade replaces an old one on your transcript. Hopefully the counselors will be able to guide you there... And have you heard rumors of future cohorts having more than one start date a year? I have, and I think that would be awesome! Maybe you won't have to wait a whole year to apply again.

I'm sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for :( The disappointment a rejection letter brings really burns. I know it did for me, anyway (rejected by KU-Med's accelerated BSN program a few weeks ago) Have you applied anywhere else?

Best of luck- I will post back after the interview next week with my thoughts on it!

edewalt

15 Posts

Wow! I definitely wouldn't mind having grades like that! I'm definitely going to retake classes that I didn't do so well in, and I plan on exploring other options, but after doing some research I noticed that many programs around here have other prereqs that JUCO doesn't require such as pharmacology and pathophysiology. I plan on taking them at some point so that I expand my future options.. I find it bizarre that I got my rejection letter like a week after others did.. maybe it was down to like 20 people and 5 spots or something, who knows. I'm going to take my ACT as much as possible over the next year and try to get those scores up too. I got a 27 composite and a 25 science and reasoning, which I was pretty satisfied with, but there's no harm in continuing to retake it and attempt to raise my scores.

I guess my frustration stems from the fact that I feel like I can never redeem myself for the poor grades I recieved at another school, fresh out of high school. That's what's so bothersome.. I'll never have a 4.0 overall, and its pretty upsetting, but that's the way it is.. So how do I compete with ladies like yourself, who have an outstanding GPA and ACT? I'm sure I can get my ACT up, but GPA.. it can go up a little bit, but it'll never be a 4.0. We'll see what the counselors say I suppose.

KSRN2b

47 Posts

Edewalt, sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Am impressed with your graciousness toward your fellow posters after they were selected for interviews and you weren't. All I can say is WOW! Not everyone would be so generous with their well-wishes under the circumstances.

I strongly encourage you to look around at other programs in the metro KC area (if you haven't already) and see which ones might work for you. If you want your RN (not BSN) and are trying to keep costs down to a minimum, consider other community colleges like KCKCC, Penn Valley, Neosho County Community College (they have classes in Ottawa and clinicals even closer), and Fort Scott Community College (they have classes in Paola). Many start two cohorts a year instead of just one (like JCCC). You can look at private technical schools in the area as well--pricier but an option. I have not heard good things about Brown Mackie. I met a nursing student from Concorde Career College about a year ago and she really liked that program.

I am an MSW-level social worker living in JOCO and making a career change to nursing. Have been taking pre-reqs (have a BS but sciences way too old so had to re-take) at KCKCC. Did not have a good experience at JCCC for my first pre-req class, made the change to KCKCC, and have never looked back. KCKCC has been GREAT! I just received word this week that I was accepted into their Fall 2011 cohort. Is harder to get in there if you don't live in WYCO or Leavenworth County but is doable. My undergraduate GPA is 3.56 (they don't count graduate credits into GPA at the ADN program level) and my TEAS score overall was 88.7%. I can't speak for the other ADN programs I mentioned, but I know people who have attended Penn Valley and Neosho County. Both couldn't say enough good things about the programs.

Keep your chin up! The very best of wishes to you!

PaigeAlayne

16 Posts

I also didn't get an interview, disappointed but not crushed. I definitely wasn't holding out hope. I hold a 3.5 GPA and got a 25 on my science reasoning, not top notch but I am happy with it. So, on to plan B. Congrats to all of you!

+ Add a Comment