LSC North Harris Fall 2011 Clinical Questions

U.S.A. Texas

Published

I was originally completing my prereqs at Kingwood and due to a change in circumstances, have applied to North Harris for Fall 2011 (with Tomball and CyFair as 1st and 2nd alternate choices). Since I have missed the information sessions, any information regarding the North Harris program would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, I am interested in schedules, CLINICAL LOCATIONS, professor information, etc.

- Thanks, Steve

I was originally completing my prereqs at Kingwood and due to a change in circumstances, have applied to North Harris for Fall 2011 (with Tomball and CyFair as 1st and 2nd alternate choices). Since I have missed the information sessions, any information regarding the North Harris program would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, I am interested in schedules, CLINICAL LOCATIONS, professor information, etc.

- Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

I applied to NH as my first choice and I know some about the program there but not everything. The NH program will be transferring to the new Health Professions Building that is located on Peakwood Dr. & Red Oak which is right behind North West Medical Center. (FM 1960 & Red Oak)http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=north+west+medical+center+houston&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston+Northwest+Medical+Center,+FM+1960+W,+Houston,+Texas+77090&ll=30.020707,-95.444026&spn=0.00771,0.014827&z=16

As far as Clinical locations go, I only know of some that are listed in the Fall 2010 Catalog: North West Med Center, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands, St. Lukes the Woodlands, Methodist Willowbrook, Mem Hermann NW(610 & Ella), Health South Humble, Triumph Hospital, Icon Hosp. Humble, Mem Hermann Katy. I know sometimes clinical sites can change for one reason or the other. There was also a list I saw somewhere on the NH nursing website so "click" around on there too for additional information.

Good luck:up:

TDD,

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you know when the program is set to transfer to the new facilities? I assume that all classes will take place there. I currently live in Kingwood, but am in the process of moving to the Willowbrook area by the end of the summer. This will be a second career, and while I am excited, at times I do feel that the available information is scattered between many sources, and is a bit discombobulated. If there is a single location with concise information I haven't found it, but I hope there is one available.

-Steve

If you go to NH's nursing website and click on 2011 Nursing Admits, they have the most information on what you can expect your schedule to be like. http://www.lonestar.edu/14365.htm In the info session it says you can choose your clinical to be one 10 hour day per week or break it up into 2 days (5 hrs per day). Classes are Mon-Thurs with tests every other Friday until noon. The 1st summer session is Mon-Thurs from 8-12 or 1-5 from Aug 1 to Aug 19. Then when the Fall semester starts on Aug 29, you don't go by your registered schedule, you are at the school for an orientation from 8-5 Mon-thurs for the 1st 2-3 wks...

Thanks Peyton that is very helpful info to me also:)

TDD,

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you know when the program is set to transfer to the new facilities? I assume that all classes will take place there. I currently live in Kingwood, but am in the process of moving to the Willowbrook area by the end of the summer. This will be a second career, and while I am excited, at times I do feel that the available information is scattered between many sources, and is a bit discombobulated. If there is a single location with concise information I haven't found it, but I hope there is one available.

-Steve

The nursing program is slated to be moving into the new facility very soon because I know the current ADN students are looking forward to moving over there also, but no exact time is being said, they just say "soon". They have ready had several construction delays, but if most of the furniture has been moved in already it must be nearly finished.

Your welcome! :) Some of that I got from the info session, but most of it is from that link.

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give you guys some info that I received last year. I was accepted into the program and took the summer course. Unfortunately, some of us did not have all of our paperwork back from the board and we had to drop out of the program before clinicals. So as soon as u get your acceptance letter, get on the ball!! Yes, I did have to retake the HESI(the new one) and I actually did better this year. I applied last year with an 11.3 and this year with an 11.6. I received my letter last year on Friday, March 26. It was the last Friday in March so I am hoping I that I will receive my letter this weekend. So far, nothing yet as of today. (Sat) On the Anatomy section I scored 100%. Vocab was 94%. I feel that i did better on the sections that others did not do that well on. On the other hand, my reading was an 84% and grammar was an 89%. I wasn't too pleased with my scores but I am happy for others that did well on these sections. I guess that's what the HESI is all about. Last year, everyone had to be in front of their computers and submit at 10 am which clinical site they wanted to be at. It was crazy!!! I did not get my first or second choice. Just be prepared and have each clinical site info on hand. I am by the new location mon-fri since my son goes to a private school nearby. It looks great!! I even had to take pics of it. Lol Well, I pray that we all get in and I wish u guys the BEST of luck. If you all have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Its been really tough for me having to wait another year, but I hope this year will be better :-)

Hi Ads! What do you mean by "some of us did not have all of our paperwork back from the board and we had to drop out of the program before clinicals"? What kind of paperwork? You mean once we are accepted there is something else we have to worry about? lol

Peyton12,

When u get your letter u will need to get your fingerprints taken. Do it as soon as possible because you will need your "blue" card before you can start clinicals. We did not know that last year so we prolonged it. If you do not have anything on your record, then dont worry. They pull up juvenile and everything since its by the FBI. I am cleared now but its just a longer process you have to go through. It can be the smallest thing but you must write letters, get court docs, etc. and send to the board. Just a heads up to anyone who has anything(even just an arrest, not a conviction). Kind of embarrasing but since you asked, I'd rather say it because I might help someone out there that thinks they are okay until they sit for their boards. Get everything out of the way. CPR, shots, etc.

I was suprised to see that I was not the only one. What you do when you are young will haunt you in the long run. I was devastated!! It is good that they do this though. I heard that people would lie on their app and then when it was time to take their NCLEX exam it would pop up because they were fingerprinted. So now they require us to do it in the beginning. Hopefully, this does not pertain to u but I hope I can help someone that comes across this thread.

Oh ok. How serious are we talking here? I've never been arrested or anything, but wrote a bad check when I was young. There was a warrant, but as soon as I knew that, I paid it off before anything came of it. Would something like that be on there? I believe the county clerk said it would be forgiven. Then I didn't pay a traffic ticket once and had a warrant for that once. haha But I finally went a paid them and warrant removed. LOL

+ Add a Comment