Canadian RN, taking US NP program online?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

I'm a BScN, RN working and living in Canada. I have never practiced in the USA.

I would like to persue the Nurse Practioner field, and am wondering if it is possible to get my education online from an American school?

It probably is possible, but the bigger question I see is where do you want to practice when you are through? If it is in Canada, it will be much easier and less expensive to get your education n Canada. If you want to work in the states, then it is an option. However, you can still write the AANP or ANCC if you are educated in Canada and have your MN or MSN. You can pm me if you want to discuss in depth. I got my BSN in the USA and my NP in Canada, and now work in Canada.

Hi, I'm also currently living in Canada and completed my BSN in the US. I'm going to start the FNP program this fall at Athabasca University... does anyone know if there would be any licensing issues if I decided to practice in the US? Would I qualify to take the US NP exam(s)?

SandBetweenMyToes...do you have any thoughts on whether it would be better to complete a program in Canada or the states? I may actually be moving to the states soon and although the program at Athabasca is online, I would have to return to Canada to complete the clinicals.

Thanks!

Andrew

I was a Canadian living abroad when I did my NP through SUNYSB.

I am registered as an NP in both Canada and the US.

The quality of NP education is better in the US(dont flame me but how can it be otherwise when no NP program in Canada has 100% NP faculty)

There are a lot of hoops to jump through if you do a US NP program and wish to register as a NP in Canada. Different provinces have different criteriae.

I did a lot of hoopjumping!

I was a Canadian living abroad when I did my NP through SUNYSB.

I am registered as an NP in both Canada and the US.

The quality of NP education is better in the US(dont flame me but how can it be otherwise when no NP program in Canada has 100% NP faculty)

There are a lot of hoops to jump through if you do a US NP program and wish to register as a NP in Canada. Different provinces have different criteriae.

I did a lot of hoopjumping!

Hi global RN,

Which university did u attend for your NP in US, also which province are you registered as an NP in Canada. I want to do a US FNP program and am thinking of how hard it would be for me to get licensed in Ontario afterwards? Thanks.

i got my NP in Ontario and live in Ontario. I got my RN in Michigan and am licensed in both MI and ON. I have a friend who did her NP at Wayne State University in Detroit, and works as an NP in Ontario. If you

do not have residency in Canada, it will not work.

hello i am considering also of getting my FNP in United States i got BSN abroad actually the philippines and i will be taking my nclex in hawaii hopefully i pass.. i want to move to canada once i pass due to some situations.. i was wondering will Canada accept me to take the FNP in there colleges or do i have a better chance applying it online with a school or university in America because i want to pursue my dream of being a FNP

Specializes in Team Lead at Home Health.

Hello, 

I am Canadian RN currently practicing in Canada and I have 25 yrs of RN experience and I have tried applying to 5 universities in Canada for the last 3 years and I keep getting rejected saying there is heavy competition and less number of seats. there is lot of need for NP's around the country and I am frustrated to see how the universities are so limited in their way of dealing with the increasing need of NP's . I thought of applying to US based universities but was not sure I am ale to practice in Canada after my completion.  I am hoping that will have to change and if does not I am willing to practice in US.

what are the universities you recommend to pursue my NP education through US?  

Hi, I am a Canadian nurse and want to FNP program in United States. Any recommendations for the universities that I can apply as I tried to contacting several universities and they were like we are offering online program so it is for USA green card holder or USA citizen. Please guide . Shall be very thankful.

+ Add a Comment