UMSON BSN@Shady Grove Spring 2011

U.S.A. Maryland

Published

Specializes in Onc.

Questions, comments, suggestions, share info, get-to-know-you....let's chime in Shady Grovers :nurse: !!

Hi! we started a thread for UMB-SON over here as well

University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB)-Spring 2011 - Nursing for Nurses

Excellent! I will be watching.

Specializes in Onc.

I had a great orientation at Shady Grove. Kudos to the staff and faculty! :yeah:

I feel welcomed, quite overwhelmed with the info and to be honest intimidated with the workload that the current student talked about but am confident that there're supports I can fall back to.

The class seemed very diverse but quiet. Hopefully, later we'll get comfortable to chime in.

Looking forward to start!! :nurse:

Please keep us updated. And by us I mean those of us that are currently applying to shady grove.

I'll add in here and say that i really enjoyed the orientation as well.

I was not really shocked or overwhelmed by the amount of work that we were told that we will be doing in the next two years.

I will say, that getting everything done (background checks, titers, TB testing, physicals, gathering uniforms, books etc) from acceptance to the start of school has been a bit overwhelming just because we have about 2 months and the fall starting students have more time to get all of that stuff together.

Otherwise it was very nice and fun and everyone was super friendly and helpful!

Hi,

I am interested in the program and am wondering if anyone had any advice/experience on A. Doing the program part-time or B. Doing the program and balancing having young kids at home.

THANKS!!

Hey Sandy... could you please give me any tips on the admission process? what was gpa? is it very competitive? how did you do on the teas? thank you. any help would be greatly appreciated.

could you please give me any tips on the admission process? what was gpa? is it very competitive? how did you do on the teas? thank you. any help would be greatly appreciated.

there is nothing - they give you the basic that they require - go for above them. i am not giving you my grade stats etc b/c each round is different. i knew what the lowest acceptable scores were and aimed above - was I a perfect 4.0 - no but then again most people were not - but had great clinical experience as well work. i spoke to my passion of nursing - the why's and how's of why i came to decide to become a nurse after working and doing my UG degree and grad work in science.

it is very competitive - GrayLady can speak to the application/acceptance ratios as she works on that side.

I did not do the TEAS - i did the NET and had above the requirement.

Hi grey lady, I was just wondering, do know about the admission stats that is like what was the average gpa acceptance, and like the ratio of applicants to those accepted?

Hi grey lady, I was just wondering, do know about the admission stats that is like what was the average gpa acceptance, and like the ratio of applicants to those accepted?

The numbers do not matter. You really can't figure out your chances because you cannot know what your competition will be like. Neither can we. I can tell you that we usually get 3 to 4 applications for every seat. Nobody can predict what the applicant pool will be like for your semester. Also, it is not just GPA - your entire application portfolio will be scrutinized. Students with extremely high GPAs have not been admitted because that is not all we care about.

Hi Grey Lady!

I have a few questions that you may be able to answer, I'm still in the process of collecting my transcripts and plan to go to an open house.

1. Chemistry - I've taken a grad level Molecular biology class (no lab) and a regular undergrad intro to bio class (with lab). Both of the classes had half decent reviews of chemistry basics and I also did some self study to refresh my memory. I took a year long sequence (3 quarters) of Chemistry about 15 years ago. Will it be required to take it over? I'm unsure of my grades in it which is why I'm waiting for my transcripts before I officially ask the admissions office about it.

2. I'm trying to boogie to apply for Fall 2012. I will be taking my last pre-req (if chemistry does not need to be repeated), Anatomy or Physiology in the Summer of 2012. If I need to retake chem, I can also take that in summer 2012 or squeeze it in during spring 2012. So my questions would be, would that be counted against me if I don't have all my pre-reqs done by the time my application is submitted? If not, I'm guessing I'd be ok for a Spring 2012 application?

3. Lastly, I'm feeling ok about academic references but I've worked for almost the same company for nearly 15 years and although I don't work in the health field, I think my work record would be a stronger reference than someone I took a class with for 3 months, especially since I'm only taking pre-reqs as opposed to being a long term student in a school. Do you have any insight on whether or not you can have a non-academic recommendation letter if you also have the 2 academic ones and would that help in any way?

Thanks a bunch if you can give me some insight.

+ Add a Comment