DePaul's MENP questions

U.S.A. Illinois

Published

Okay so I had some questions that I was hoping actual graduates of this program could help me with in regards to admission, since the answers Im tending to get from representatives at the school could be more on the sunny side of the road. Anyways, I have a BS from MSU in Human Biology and have for the past 3 years working as a laboratory technician (research not clinical) for a local University. I recently took my GRE and obviously my cognitive writing skills have suffered since leaving school because, I got a 3.5 on the essay portion. The MENP site says that they want you to have a 4 and I was wondering if there are any real life examples on here of people gaining entry with a 3.5. I know DePaul can be more accepting of that other places and I was just wondering how true that actually is. I know they must have higher than normal application numbers given the economy...

Still crossing my fingers though

Thanks!

Specializes in Urgent Care NP, Emergency Nursing, Camp Nursing.

One of the underlying issues that DePaul's program had a number of faculty leave in the middle of expanding the program, resulting in faculty having to play musical chairs with course assignments. I've been told that there should be a few new faculty starting this Fall, which should solve that problem. The class sizes are also supposedly stabilizing at 60 per cohort.

Also, I should note that if you're hearing horrible, horrible things about DePaul's program, it's probably not from my cohort. We've had our instructors assigned to us in a timely manner, and as long as students are respectful towards the instructors the instructors are respectful towards the students. There's some disorganization, but nothing that isn't par for the course for a graduate department.

TheSquire, thanks for the reply.

Specializes in Burns, ICU.

I agree with the squire. He and I were in together and our class was about 32 people or so. Perfect size and we knew in advance who our instructors were... good luck.

PS - when I meet others from other schools - we all feel the same pain at one time or another...

Hi there,

I will be starting in September as well and am excited to meet everyone!

Question for you about immunizations-I just got my titers drawn a few days ago and am going to submit them on that immunization tracker but there was a statement on the form that said I needed Hepatitis B vaccine records AND titers. If my titers show immunity, do I need the vaccines too? Didn't seem to make sense to me but wanted to check.

anyone else scared for pharmacology? :)

Do we just show up September 8 for classes or is there anything before that? I find it tough sometimes to get through to anyone in the nursing department for answers!

It's rather rare for a person in the US to acquire Hep B immunity without having some risk factors - you can go ahead and get the titers drawn first, but generally one is assumed to be naive to the disease and so the usual course is to give the Hep B vaccine course before having the Hep B titers drawn. It's becoming increasingly common for parents to have their teenagers immunized for Hep B, so check your pediatric immunization records and you might already be covered.

The department was closed last week due to maintenance being done on the building housing the department, which probably contributed to your lack of communication. My understanding is that, since you've already had your orientation in the Spring, you should be good to go to just show up for your first class.

I agree with the squire. He and I were in together and our class was about 32 people or so. Perfect size and we knew in advance who our instructors were... good luck.

PS - when I meet others from other schools - we all feel the same pain at one time or another...

...I dunno what you're talking about, my cohort's 43 people. I think you're in the cohort ahead of mine, which just graduated.

Hey

Since there appears to be some veterans from the MENP program on this thread I thought I would throw out one more question if you all don't mind =)

So in your honest opinion how difficult is this program? Specifically the first quarter. I was offered a part time job I really want to accept and I have class only 3 days a week this fall quarter so I think I should be good to work and study. I know it is a vigorous program that moves faster than anything I experienced in undergrad, but is there a lot of out of classroom work?

Hey

Since there appears to be some veterans from the MENP program on this thread I thought I would throw out one more question if you all don't mind =)

So in your honest opinion how difficult is this program? Specifically the first quarter. I was offered a part time job I really want to accept and I have class only 3 days a week this fall quarter so I think I should be good to work and study. I know it is a vigorous program that moves faster than anything I experienced in undergrad, but is there a lot of out of classroom work?

It depends on your personal work ethic and the type of job you've been offered. I spent a couple days a week my first quarter studying, since assessment and pharmacology are both a lot of information being thrown at you at once. Some people in my cohort were able to work a part-time job their first quarter. I chose not to, but I also didn't work in undergrad so that's what I was already used to. The work level drops a bit the next few quarters (and you get used to the load and the content), so that's when more people in my cohort started working.

I would like to keep my current job (if accepted for Jan. start),...what are typical schedules like for the first quarter/year? Does anyone know anything about part-time schedules? Just curious what my options might be,... Thanks so much in advance!

I would like to keep my current job (if accepted for Jan. start),...what are typical schedules like for the first quarter/year? Does anyone know anything about part-time schedules? Just curious what my options might be,... Thanks so much in advance!

Call the nursing dept. office about part-time schedules for the program. They exist, they're just not widely advertised for MENP. I know of a couple of alumnae who started out part-time and later switched to full-time.

Thanks for the quick response!! That's kind of what I was told at one of the info sessions,... I think it would only be for the first quarter/semester/year,...until my husband's job got settled, etc,...but it would be nice to keep working while he's going through a paycut.. Then, once he's back on track, I think that I will try and go full time...but the flexibility would be nice!! They said in the info session that it was possible,...just curious if anyone was actually doing it that way. Thanks again for responding :) Please let me know if you know/hear of anyone else doing it this way..

Has anyone heard anything back about the January start applpications?

+ Add a Comment