California new grad RN planning to work in Australia

World Immigration

Published

Hello all,

I plan to move to Australia and work for maybe 1-2 years, the reason is because as a new grad I can not find any jobs here in California (they want experienced nurses) unfortunately it is very competitive for new grads at the moment. I've heard Australia hires a lot of new nurses because of your shortage, so I hope to gather a lot of experience from Australia, so that when I come back to California my chances of getting hired are much greater. In the meantime, I have come up with some questions which I hope some of you can answer:

1. What is the process I have to go through in order to be registered to work there and how long will it take?

2. What is the starting rate for New grad RN's?

3. Are there any hospitals in Australia that are affiliated with hospitals in California?

4. Is this a wise decision regarding my career path?

5. How good/bad are the chances of getting hired as a New Grad RN?

6. What is your advice and tips?

This will be a huge change for me, but I am very excited and willing to make it work, housing will not be an issue because I have a lot of family down there.

Thank you in Advance

Specializes in CTICU.

Here's some info from one Melbourne hospital: http://www.baysidehealth.org.au/Page.aspx?ID=346#2

If the link doesn't work, search "overseas nursing".

Specializes in Medical.
after registering for one of those states, do i contact the australian nursing and midwifery council?
though we're looking at national registration, it's not here yet; you only need to register with the board of that state:

australian capital territory - www.actnmb.act.gov.au/

new south wales - www.nmb.nsw.gov.au

northern territory - http://www.health.nt.gov.au/health_professions_licensing_authority_hpla/index.aspx

queensland - www.qnc.qld.gov.au/

south australia - www.nmbsa.sa.gov.au/

tasmania - www.nursingboardtas.org.au/

victoria - www.nbv.org.au

western australia - www.nmbwa.org.au/

just on the topic of distance - bear in mind that australia is virtually the same size as the contiguous us:

australia/united states

bigobjfilemanager?bigobjid=ga6264 (source)

That is right, I guess I got confused with Canada (provinces) heim!!!! Sorry, that is right choose the state that you want to work, go to their websites and read on overseas applicants( registered nurses), print the application, make sure you contact your board of nursing to request a verification of your license, copies of your passport(certified) by notary public, you also must call your nursing school and request a theoretical and clinical hours form to be submitted directly to the Australian nursing board( for example, NSW( New South Wales), NBV( Nurses Board of Victoria), Queensland , Western Australia, and of course now they all require an english test( IETLS ) with a score of at least 7 in all bands( speaking, writing, listening and speaking), good luck to you and enjoy the aussies.

Best Regards

Specializes in Medical.

To prepare yourself you might also want to take a look at this introduction to Australian wildlife: http://www.cracked.com/funny-163-australia/

Someone in the comments mentioned that staying inside is still risky, as snakes enter buildings - to which I respond that this week a guy was attacked by an octopus (I think) 25m above the ocean!

Hi! I am also a new grad who is interested in moving to Sydney. I have visited there twice and loved it! I have also been trying to find out more info on the paperwork. How far are you along?

New Graduate Registered Nurse and Registered Midwife Transition Recruitment @

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing/recruit.html

has some information.

Hello all,

I plan to move to Australia and work for maybe 1-2 years, the reason is because as a new grad I can not find any jobs here in California (they want experienced nurses) unfortunately it is very competitive for new grads at the moment.

I don't think it's a smart move. As I understand you did not even apply for a license yet. I would suggest to concentrate your efforts on finding a job in the US. If you can't find a job in your area, it does not mean there are no jobs anywhere in the US, you just need to search better. If you can't find a job in California, look in another state. Check in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi. I can't imagine that it will be easier for a new grad to get a job in Australia than in the US.

You have a point Buran 09. There are other states where you can apply, but the competetion is tough. Like Saint637, I am also having a hard time looking for a job. I graduated in May 2009, and until now, I haven't found a job. I tried applying in California, Texas, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Giorgia, and about 10 other states, but still no job yet. At this point, I am losing hope.

I would also like to relocate to Australia. Is there anyone here who knows a legit recruiter who can help a new grad like me find a job in Australia?

Perhaps you need to change your job hunting tactics. There are so many small and middle-sized hospitals in small towns in every state. Did you apply to every one in your state? Also many hiring managers won't even talk to you if you don't a license it the state you are applying too. If you applied to every hospital in your home state and got no response, you have to make an educated guess (reading this forum may help) where to go next. Apply for a license in that state, then apply for a job. If they interview you, but won't offer a job right away and there are positions available, but a ticket and get there personally. This way they will know that you are serious about the job and ready to start any time. This tactics worked for me in two different states.

Sorry for too many typos in the previous post. Won't post again after working all night long :D

Specializes in CTICU.

You don't need a recruiter to get a job in Australia. Contact hospitals directly after deciding what state you want to work.

Hi how did your search go? I looked at the Western site and it said that you could bypass a step if you had 12 months experience and another section wanted something from an employer. Did you find out if you needed experience first or if they would take new grads?

+ Add a Comment