filipino nurse seeking registration to WESTERN australia

World Registration

Published

i'm a filipino nurse searching thread about wa nurses here and i found out that the one and only post available was also mine.. hahaha.. so i thought of starting another one... most of threads are for the whole australia.. this is specifically for wa

this thread is intended for those who are seeking registration to nmbwa. wanurses are most welcome in this thread.. we want to hear from you and those who are currently undertaking bp...

hope that we can guide each and everyone..:nurse:

While waiting for your natl license you can either apply for a special visa and wait here if expenses are not an issue or you can wait at the phils and apply online there for a job here. Plenty of jobs at the rural in all states. City jobs are hard to come by. You can also opt for nursing homes if you're alright with that.

Curtin is the leading uni in health courses in wa. But if it's too expensive, you can always go to Murdoch or ecu.

Good luck mate and see you in wa. Cheers

Specializes in Aged Care.
hi there! I'm nina and I'm a nurse from the Philippines. I just received my offer letter from Curtin Uni last week and I have until may 31 to enroll. However I'm still indecisive as of the moment because I've also applied at Murdoch and have not received a response from them yet. Between the two, the latter is a lot cheaper. For those who are knowledgeable on this matter, which is better, curtin or murdoch? also, do you have an idea what happens after conversion? do i need to go back to the philippines while awaiting for nmbwa to register me? how long does one need to wait to get registered? is it difficult to look for an employer afterwards? my worry is we'll be spending a big amount of money but what if in the end I still can not find an employer that would sponsor my working visa? somebody help me please...

Hi nina. All of these Universities are accredited and finishing in one of them would lead to registration as a nurse, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose. You chose whichever is practical. If you can save 6k aud by choosing a less expensive Uni and you think you can do a lot with that money, then by all means choose the less expensive one. Getting a job or landing a spot in a Graduate nurse program is never solely dependent on the uni where you finished the program. The more important factor is your clinical performance and the recommendation of your perceptors. Say you finished from Uni A and spent 10k, your grades were all high, clinical performance is excellent and you get good feedback from your clinical perceptors, plus you communicate well and you are competing for 1 spot with someone from Uni B and that person spent 26k, but her grades and clinical performance are just so so, then you certainly would have better chance of getting that spot. However, if you are not sure of a spot in Murdoch, then avail of the Curtin Program and just tell your Aunt in Adelaide to bear the expenses. There is a chance that after July 2010, all nurses who finished their education in the Philippines would need to study 2 years fulltime to be licensed in Australia. Maybe you could write curtin and request that you will be included in the Feb 2011 intake and wait for Murdoch's response.

By the time you finish the program NMBWA will be nonexistent so its hard to answer how long you wait for your license to come out. That would depend on the new NMBA (national board) and we really don't know. If its just NMBWA you would get your license in 15 mins if they already have the complete documentation requirements from your school.You can simply go there and wait.

As for jobs after the conversion, the defining factor really is hospital experience. If you have at least 3 years experience in any specialty area in the Philippines or at least 18months in NZ or UK, then you can get a job in the cities. If you have none, then your best chance would be to get into a graduate nurse program but unfortunately, the priority is for citizens then Permanent Residents and only a few grad programs offer 457 sponsorship to overseas trained nurses. Some Aged care facilities in the regional and rural areas will also offer sponsorship to new grads. The aged care facilities in the metropolitan areas would also require aged care experience. Just search for Australian Nursing jobs in the internet and see the essential criteria for the job. There are a number of job seekers sites and you can google them and take time to read the adverts so you will get a feel of the current jobmarket in Australia.

I do not know if you found work as a nurse in another country because you said it was in another field. If you worked as a nurse, then that would be in your favor. If you didnt, it does not mean that you can not find work anymore. It will just be a little more difficult.If it is really your dream to come to Australia, then pursue it. If you are not too picky,there will always be a job for you when you get registered and if you don't stop seeking. Remember what Aelith told you two years ago about being picky? Another option for you is to find a 2 year Master's Program that would lead to registration as a nurse. while studying you can legally work 24 hours a week and after graduation you can apply for a graduate visa that would allow you to stay and work in whatever field for 2 years, plus it would qualify you for a Permanent residency right away. It is not so hard to find work as a nurse here if you have the right visa. Currently the difficulty is in finding a 457 working visa sponsor. Hope this helps and good luck.

Specializes in NICU, Critical Care.

Many thanks for the heads-up, javRN. I will be starting my BP at VCHN next week. My application is for WA registration, but my BP will end on August which will mean it will fall on national registration. The jitters are a-coming. Looks like there aren't much VCHN takers here?

Many thanks for the heads-up, javRN. I will be starting my BP at VCHN next week. My application is for WA registration, but my BP will end on August which will mean it will fall on national registration. The jitters are a-coming. Looks like there aren't much VCHN takers here?

Wishing you the best. Just perform well all throughout the program and Im telling you it will surely pay. With your NICU and CCU experience, you should have no trouble finding a job come August. God Bless.:yeah::yeah:

Hi kiwifruit. i'm new here in all nurses. i had a letter of offer in VCHN this October 4. How was the BP? I badly need a feedback coz I don't know anyone there. btw, i'm from DC also. Please do reply. ;)

thank God.. to those who are in perth already.. i hope we can meet.. see u!!!

Hi javRN.

Thank you so much for the very informative and inspiring message you sent. Actually, it was my friend Nina who wrote you as she would be entering Curtin next month already. She just used my account as she didn't have an account that time when she had questions regarding the conversion program. I gave her a copy of the message that you sent a few weeks back.

In behalf of her, I'm saying thank you so much. People like you keep us going in forums like this. I'm also waiting for my NBV approval so that hoepfully, I get accepted to do a Bridging Program soon.

Thank you very much. I replied here because I'm not so sure If I reached 15 posts already.

hi jetjet,

you are welcome and thank you for your kind words. i hope you will get approval soon and that you will land a spot in a bridging program. nbv also has an accreditied bridging program in Adelaide SA through the william light institute and they are still accepting applicants. good luck

@jetjet - does your friend nina accepted curtin's offer? when is she coming to perth?

Specializes in BMT, Haematology.

Does anyone have any information about Royal Perth Hospital BP plans for the next 2011 year?

@jetjet - does your friend nina accepted curtin's offer? when is she coming to perth?

hi yayey,

my friend would be entering curtin but she's still awaiting the reply of her visa. are u going to curtin as well?

RPH and bentley hospital would be closed soon.

+ Add a Comment