7 nights in a row!!!!

Specialties Rehabilitation

Published

Specializes in Medsurg, home health, ob and rehab.

im am a rn curently working in ob/gyn. i will be transferring to the rehab unit. however the rns work 7 nights on and off 7 in a row. what do u think about this and would u work this scheadule?

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

I would love to work a 7-on, 7-off schedule. Having the 7 days off in a row would greatly appeal to me.

However, keep in mind that I am 29 years old. I have heard that the older a person is, the less likely that he/she can tolerate nontraditional work schedules.

Specializes in FNP.

As a rehab nurse on an acute unit - even 5 in a row gets tough with lifting and cares - 7 would be very hard (physically) for me. On the other hand - that's great for continuity of care, you get to know your patients, can really get some great education done, you know their progress and can really document that... but 7 - that's tough. Good luck!

" that's great for continuity of care "

---good point.

Specializes in Medsurg, home health, ob and rehab.

well this is a night position, if that makes a difference

Specializes in FNP.

8 hour shifts - perhaps. I still think it's tough. Nights for us are a lot of turns, repos, toileting, bowel programs, folks to get up early and shower, behavior issues w/TBIs mixed up between night/day... feast or famine, they tell me (I'm hoping to switch to nights shortly), though the ones I've worked have been fairly mellow. And - if census is low - will you be floating or will you be the only RN on? That might make a difference too... Then again, I've never worked L&D so really couldn't compare if one is 'easier' for a night shift than the other - but have worked the ortho / neuro floor and know that my unit is a lot different...

Specializes in Hospice, corrections, psychiatry, rehab, LTC.

In the last rehab facility I worked in, the night nurses carried about twice the patient load of the day shift. I used to leave after my shift feeling literally numb from the exertion - and I worked days and no more than four days at a time. I personally would not be interested in working seven straight days in a specialty as physically demanding as rehab.

Specializes in Telemetry, Case Management.

I did that when I was younger and LOVED it!!!! It's like having two weeks of vacation every month.

Now that I'm 20 years older I doubt I could do it and live to tell the tale. But if you're young, by all means try it!!1

I've known nurses who worked seven shifts in a row, days, PMs, or nights, all the time. No 7 shifts off. I've worked seven shifts in a row for long periods of time. It does get old and one is little by little wearing down their own resistance when they go with insufficient rest for long periods of time, but people do what they have to do.

My friend works in Rehab and she does 3, 12 hour shifts a week. And the vibe I get it that its enough. 3 on 4 off not necessarily back to back

+ Add a Comment