OLOL accelerated nursing program EJGH

U.S.A. Louisiana

Published

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has applied to the accelerated nursing program at EJGH. Application deadline was March 15, and I am already anxious to receive a letter!! I know its going to be awhile, but was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes before getting a decision letter or interview letter... anything!

Hey everyone. I've been away a few days!!! I just got back on and saw others post on WIA.......What is WIA?? I'm going to be paying for nursing school all by myself. I have a little saved up; however, I know that I am going to have an empty bank account after I finish if I don't get some kind of loan or other assistance. Any tips on this?

Call or visit the unemployment office for the parish that you live in and ask if they are still funding for WIA. I believe it changes from year to year. I received a grant to cover nearly half of my tuition. The class before me received 100% tuition, books, mileage, etc. They aren't doing that anymore but you might be able to get some assistance that way. Best wishes.

Thank you so much for the tip, kitti419! This is going to help me out tremendously if I can get some help!

So have you heard yet? I heard from both EJ and BR. I was accepted by both and was 2nd on the wait list. I have chosen to go to EJ, Are there any out of towners for the Fall term and EJ that needs housing?

Are there any out of towners for the Fall term and EJ that needs housing?

I'm planning on going to EJ as well. I have been doing a little bit of research to look for housing, but I haven't really found a place yet. Everything is ridiculously expensive! Have you found a place yet?

I did my 2nd go at looking on Craigs list under shared housing. Will be calling the EJGH OLOL office tomorrow to find our more sources. Ive also looked around the Tulane area on line. It seems there are a ton more "student" housing even though Im almost old enough to be their parent.

Also trying to find out what text for pharmacology. I figured what the heck, I only have 4 classes for the summer and will be starting my BIO Nutrition class at the end of June. Just started my 3rd week in the two classroom classes - finishing up early/mid july the two internext courses that I started today finish up 1st week in August.

We just moving from the big house (4k sq ft) to 1.5k sq ft. The move was a lot harder the building process.

I start the Tulane program end of next month and our pharmacology book is Clinical Drug Therapy: Rationales for Nursing Practice (current edition) by Abrams, Pennington.... Also, we'll be using Dosage Calculations (8th ed.) by Pickar and Abernethy. I'm sure y'all we'll be using the same books as well.

NolaDancer could not be any more accurate. This is an incredibly dysfunctional program, whether at EJ or Tulane. Find another program. Don't get hung up on the ten month time frame. It is ten months of frustration, low expectations, apathetic and disengaged instructors and administrators. It is possible you will fail a course, as the tests don't necessarily match the material taught. How long, how well, how hard you study has no bearing on how well you'll perform. Smart, focused students fail out at any point in the program. It can end up being a very expensive, very lengthy way to get an RN degree. Nursing shouldn't be taught in a condensed, accelerated time frame. It is too important a profession to try and absorb so much information in so little time, especially in such a poorly structured program. Like NolaDancer, I wish someone would have enlightened me and revealed the dirty little secret that OLOL is. There are very few students, if any, who finish that have anything positive to say about their experience. I finished, and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

ha! I see what you mean. I just want to finish this thing. Graduate in April, God willing. 1st ATI test on the 11th, i'm a little nervous about that. The only reason I chose this program was because I couldn't be unemployed any longer than 10months. Other accelerated programs were longer and I couldn't justify it given my situation. At least you are done and graduated Kilroy, right? Or are you in Tulane 2?

Thankfully finished, and passed NCLEX. All the best to you as you move forward.

snickersBRaccel- I have been seeing a lot of bad reviews about accelerated program, is it really as bad as I'm hearing?

Just taking a little ride down memory lane here and wondering how everyone is doing now where they are... I'm 90 days+ into my RN job and it's a mixed bag. Surprisingly, I felt prepared for the patient care aspect of things, assessments, vital signs, lab values, etc. It's the hospital craziness that is freaking me out! What a subculture so unknown...The good news is that I am out of orientation and more than a few people felt I was competent to handle multiple patients "on my own." Yes OLOL was a nightmare. Yes many of the folks who taught my graduating class have hightailed as far and as fast away as they could get. I don't know how the program is now, but I would imagine that if real, practicing nurses are teaching, it will remain a legitimate program. I may be a new grad, but I feel that I am an asset to my unit and an advocate for my patients. Each day I get a little more confident. Some days are hell on earth; others I feel like I am the teacher. My good friend told me that nursing is going from student to teacher while staying a student. I think it's true. I'm glad to be practicing - always a little scared - but proud of what I do and my patients thank me every day. Remember Marlene Hurst "Stop the infusion and go find somebody who knows more than you do!" LOL

+ Add a Comment