sex in the work place...really?

Nurses Relations

Published

So I'm watching television.... nursing and hospital shows of course...and they are always showing someone in these shows who is in love with another nurse, or doctor and they always end up having sex while in the hospital. My question is does this really go on at the workplace? How many of you have witness this, heard about it happening, or was one of the parties involved?:yeah:

Specializes in CAPA RN, ED RN.

I have always been careful to keep my private life private. I didn't even want to date anyone I work with. People are attracted to people they have proximity with and people tend to have "resignations" at our place when things happen. Marriages fail too. One couple that eventually married moved to another hospital. There's one person that I remember looking flushed when she used to visit an MD during her off hours. And I remember another male MD being around during different hours with the RT's husband looking for her at about the same time . . . All in all, the TV shows really glam it up so it's not the same.

Specializes in OB.

A couple of the more amusing incidents I have knowledge of: A CNM who was trying to become pregnant would check her temp regularly (for that sign of ovulation) and have her s.o come over to join her in the call room if she was working when the time was right. She'd make it clear why she was not to be disturbed - definitely TMI!

Years ago when I worked in inpatient psych on a unit for hearing impaired patients we had two who would have regular trysts in the corrugated metal laundry shed. Being deaf they had no idea of the sounds emanating from the structure amplified by reverberating metal. We would then get a call from the next building to tell us the sound effects were disturbing the ladies in the geriatrics ward. Now imagine, since they can't hear you, how do you go about breaking up the proceedings? Major passing of the buck would take place with each incident.....

Specializes in Trauma, ER, ICU, CCU, PACU, GI, Cardiology, OR.

Unquestionably, this behavior is an automatic dismissal from their duties for both parties involve, without regarding their position or rank. However, in my 35+ in nursing, I have witness relationships developing in the work area, but never sexual acts. Furthermore, one has to consider that we spend most of the time with our colleagues and in some situations even the weekends. Therefore, it isn't difficult to witness relationships developing in the workforce. Lastly, I think that one would be adult and discrete regarding one's affairs, besides that any has heard of SEXUAL HARASSMENT?; and the way economy is these days I hope you would place your job prior any insolence behavior. I have a rule of thumb that goes "I DON'T GET MY HONEY, WHERE I GET MY MONEY" :yeah:

Done it. Learned the hard way that its not worth the trouble. Don't get your meat where you get your bread.

What a great topic OP, I have wondered the exact same thing. I dearly love Grey's Anatomy...along with it's spin off private practice but always find it hilarious the amount of sex that goes on in the office and in the hospital in these shows. I actually just got into an accelerated nursing program that starts this summer...maybe I'll have some stories to add in the future :D through observation of course, not experience :p

You need to make your own memories!!!:yeah::yeah:

Specializes in NICU CM LNC MB HHC, Flight nurse.

It's more common than most people think. Pt. and her brother-in law were caught on unit floor when they had open bed wards and the only privacy was the pull curtain. On same unit HN almost caught fooling around in the HD unit one night. How we found out, we had a code and they both came running out and knocked over the crash cart! And the funny thing was , this guy went back to his country and came back with a wife. I found that the OB/GYN guys were the worst. One of the nurses would disappear for a while and come back with a scent you couldn't miss. There were days you had to go in with a big stick and a can of mace, they were literally taking bets with each other as to who would get to home plate with the new nurses. One resident left behind 7 pregnant women and not all of them were nurses. He would have ridden a snake if he could have figured out how not to get bitten. One nurse even left town with him, but in a few months was asking for her old job back. So don't be naive to think it never happens. just be on your guard.:)

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

years ago and far away, i worked with a surgeon who was on his third marriage and was fooling around with a nurse in the sicu, two nurses on the step-down unit and one in the or. he was known to get busy with the or nurse on a gurney in pre-op holding late at night, and in the on call room with the other three. since the on call room was adjacent to our unit, we'd see one of the step down nurses come down the hall and disappear into the call room. half and hour later, she'd come out all flushed and disheveled. the a half hour or so later another nurse would "discretely" pop into the call room and come out flushed and disheveled. his record was three in one night, and then his wife came looking for him. evidently she found him behaving inappropriately with a fourth nurse, decked him, and came storming out through the sicu with him following behind her saying all the things cheating husbands say when they get caught: "i didn't mean anything, dear. i love you," etc. he managed to smooth that one over somehow, but about a week later he was sitting at the nurse's station innocently writing a progress note, and his wife stomped in with a thermos of hot coffee, which she emptied all over his lap. it was hot, he was burned in a delicate area and went to the er.

next thing we heard, the surgeon was getting his third divorce and had taken up with an er nurse.

having sex at the workplace is the most exciting thing i ever did in my life. not to mention the person i am having it with, but the thrill is at its optimum because of the thought of being caught any moment and being suspended or expelled from school-that was when i was a student and having it with a someone from the superiors! :nurse: and the excitement continues now that i am working (i'm not promiscuous by the way). i'm not promoting it or saying that it is ethical though. maybe, having it with the right person at the wrong place...

Specializes in Emergency Dept. Trauma. Pediatrics.
having sex at the workplace is the most exciting thing i ever did in my life. not to mention the person i am having it with, but the thrill is at its optimum because of the thought of being caught any moment and being suspended or expelled from school-that was when i was a student and having it with a someone from the superiors! :nurse: and the excitement continues now that i am working (i'm not promiscuous by the way). i'm not promoting it or saying that it is ethical though. maybe, having it with the right person at the wrong place...

are you meaning you were having it with teachers? did you at get a's at least? :|

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.
QUOTE=bagladyrn;4183955]A couple of the more amusing incidents I have knowledge of: A CNM who was trying to become pregnant would check her temp regularly (for that sign of ovulation) and have her s.o come over to join her in the call room if she was working when the time was right. She'd make it clear why she was not to be disturbed - definitely TMI!

Years ago when I worked in inpatient psych on a unit for hearing impaired patients we had two who would have regular trysts in the corrugated metal laundry shed. Being deaf they had no idea of the sounds emanating from the structure amplified by reverberating metal. We would then get a call from the next building to tell us the sound effects were disturbing the ladies in the geriatrics ward. Now imagine, since they can't hear you, how do you go about breaking up the proceedings? Major passing of the buck would take place with each incident....

. . .aannnnd in First Place, the blue ribbon for most Humorous and Original sex-in-the-workplace story goes to. .BagladyRN! Seriously- :lol2: don't know if anyone remembers the scene from the movie "Amelie" cafe workers slipped in the back room and started going at it so hard all the glassware and silverware started clanging and sliding around, lol!!

Specializes in Psych.

At the psych hospital I work per diem, two of the young adults were caught 69'ing. Every single person in the facility knew about it by the next day. The sick thing is, the next time I was on that unit, the guy (patient) was mentioning it in conversation, "yeah, well when I ----ed Mary's ----, ..." Ewwwwww................ yuck. Now I'll go throw up.

We have 28 beds on our floor and I haven't seen anything vaguely sexual yet.

Quite frankly, after those beds have been urinated, barfed, and bled on a million times, I just can't see how anyone would want to be doing someone else in one of those beds. All the rooms always have people coming in and out, so I can't see lustful lovers getting any privacy. Plus, there just aren't alot of healthcare workers that look like George Clooney or Maria Bella, so no one is really attracted to anyone else. We all look pretty blah.

+ Add a Comment