sex in the work place...really?

Nurses Relations

Published

You are reading page 6 of sex in the work place...really?

sassy_cassie

46 Posts

No sex that I know of where I work, but I could just not be in the know. I did have a pt's family that wanted me to introduce her to another pt's son.

leslie :-D

11,191 Posts

i've arranged intimate sessions betw pt and spouse/so.

but don't know of any employees...

leslie

Specializes in Emergency Dept. Trauma. Pediatrics.
Isnt sex suppose to be a private,intimate and spiritual act,just saying.....

Eh, not always. Sometimes it's simply, just sex!!!!

This wasn't at a hospital, but I did catch someone in the walk in freezer BRRRRRRRRRRR and someone behind the dumpster, how romantic :|

abbaking

441 Posts

Specializes in Telemetry, Med-Surg, ED, Psych.

Oh this is such a funny, but realistic thread.

Back in the day, when I had no morals (Nowadays I have some - NOT MANY), I had fun on a 10 minute smoke break in the car belonging to the county mortician - Can we say GOTHIC?

Yes, I came clean (no pun intended) - LOL!!!!:D--But that was back in the dark ages.

As far as witnessing sex in the workplace - Don't Ask Don't Tell (which always means yes)

Maybe due to my demographics and area i live, More gays and lesbians

SmilingBluEyes

20,964 Posts

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Watch General Hospital for that!

SmilingBluEyes

20,964 Posts

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.
Oh this is such a funny, but realistic thread.

Back in the day, when I had no morals (Nowadays I have some - NOT MANY), I had fun on a 10 minute smoke break in the car belonging to the county mortician - Can we say GOTHIC?

Yes, I came clean (no pun intended) - LOL!!!!:D--But that was back in the dark ages.

As far as witnessing sex in the workplace - Don't Ask Don't Tell (which always means yes)

Maybe due to my demographics and area i live, More gays and lesbians

WOW! I live a boring existence.

allnurses Guide

nursel56

7,078 Posts

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.
i've arranged intimate sessions betw pt and spouse/so.

but don't know of any employees...

leslie

hmmm. . . are we talking champagne, tea-light candles and Barry White in the background? :redpinkhe Could be kind of a side business arranging the romantic rendezvous ('just kiddin')- I'm sure the reality much more-- shall we say "task" oriented. "There's KY in the drawer. See ya!!" :)

belgarion

697 Posts

Specializes in Med Surg.

At another LTC where my wife worked the standing joke was that the administrator's desk was always so clean because the ADON was regularly polishing it with her backside.

leslie :-D

11,191 Posts

hmmm. . . are we talking champagne, tea-light candles and Barry White in the background? :redpinkhe Could be kind of a side business arranging the romantic rendezvous ('just kiddin')- I'm sure the reality much more-- shall we say "task" oriented. "There's KY in the drawer. See ya!!" :)

actually, you're pretty darned close.

i work w/dying pts (inpatient)

you'd be surprised how many would love to have that '1 more time' with their loved one.

i try to set up the room, as cozy as possible.

leslie

allnurses Guide

nursel56

7,078 Posts

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.

Oh my gosh, Leslie. That's something I hadn't thought about. But of course a loving couple would want that last intimacy. There is so much about hospice that I don't know. Now, where's the Kleenex, dammit.

dudette10, MSN, RN

3,530 Posts

Specializes in Med/Surg, Academics.

Leslie, you are now my official hero. That's absolutely lovely that you do that for them...and it says a LOT about you that they aren't afraid to ask you for help arranging the "one last time."

:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

ozoneranger

373 Posts

Specializes in Acute post op ortho.
actually, you're pretty darned close.

i work w/dying pts (inpatient)

you'd be surprised how many would love to have that '1 more time' with their loved one.

i try to set up the room, as cozy as possible.

leslie

I took care of a man in pulmonary many. many, times over a 4 year stretch, back in the early 1990's.

Well into his 60's, his manner was gruff, but if you took the time to get past his armor, you'd find a very frightened, often mischievous, misunderstood little boy.

The other nurses were more than happy to bow out gracefully when I asked to care for him, as he could be hard to handle if you didn't 'get' his sense of humor.

We never admitted him without his wife at his side, a frail, thin woman, with deep etched laugh lines & crystal blue eyes, they were quite the pair. Everyday, their daughter brought fresh fruit & we spent the evenings huddled in a corner nurse's desk at the far end of the hall. Some of his stays lasted for months at a time, and there were several times I thought he'd pass before I came back the following evening.

As the years past, I watched this family struggle with the certain knowledge that the time would come when they would go home without him. It was an unspoken truth which we all shared.

The night he died, I think we all knew in our hearts the time had come. With the assistance of their son, I helped his wife climb into his bed, their last embrace made awkward by the central lines & IV pumps, she refused to be denied, weaving her way to his side, she remained there through my shift. I don't know, nor do I care how many rules we broke that night, we pushed open the window, allowing the cool spring air and scent of honeysuckle to fill the room. We lit candles, we laughed, and sang, and cried.

Most importantly, we said good bye...husband, father, grandfather, mischievous friend.

Nurses have a unique opportunity not found in many work place settings. It's a gift from God, really. The chance to be there....the chance to help a family through the roughest of waters, the chance to help see them through the unbearable times.

As far as 'highlights' of my career in nursing goes, these are the moments that make it worthwhile. It's the connections you have to dig for.....fighting your way past the armor, to find the prince inside.

+ Add a Comment