Managers getting fired

Specialties Management

Published

Over the past 2 years I have heard of a few managers getting fired, for what I consider ridiculous issues.

I am wondering if this trend is increasing because of the economic climate. What's more disturbing, is that

these people might have faults, but they certainly could be terrific in other roles. They are placed on this

Do Not Rehire List, which I've heard about, but always thought this was for severe cases, as in criminal or

legal issues. Certainly not because turnover has increased on the unit 2% over the year. To me, that's an

excuse, and troublesome.

Has anyone else heard of this trend increasing?

Thank you in advance.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Some managerial positions were eliminated at my hospital as administration cut expenses. Some people had their positions eliminated. Others who have left have not been replaced. Nothing has been done in a secretive manner, though.

As for being ineligible for hire, I suspect they may just not want managers back in any capacity who might have hard feelings -- and know enough about the institution to cause trouble in revenge.

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

I agree with the previous post. I also think that many organizations are 'raising the bar' for nurse managers - HCAHPS and other initiatives are forcing some of these issues. What was good enough in the past just won't cut it any more. Organizations (mine included) expect NM to produce significant operational outcomes. This may also be leading to increased turnover for NM who aren't 'upskilling' to meet new demands - or those who just don't want to do it any more.

Specializes in criticalcare, nursing administration.

Agree with HouTx above. Being a manager has never been as challenging as it is today. As many in management say "no margin, no mission". In a climate of health care cutbacks,this is becoming increasingly difficult to do. Add to that balancing quality, and patient/employee satisfaction, and you often have competing priorities. Many organizations today are re-organizing nad re-structuring to better position themselves for the challenges ahead.

As for the do not rehire, any of these managers can contact human resources to clarify their re-employment status.

+ Add a Comment