Axillary rolls

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Specializes in OR, PACU, Med-Surg.

Do any of you have access to any evidence-based practice of wrapping an axillary roll in a towel? I was taught not to place any material over a gel roll as for it defeats the purpose. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

Specializes in Operating Room.

We don't wrap our axillary rolls in anything..I was taught that the folds in the fabric can be irritating. HTH.

Specializes in OR, Management.
We don't wrap our axillary rolls in anything..I was taught that the folds in the fabric can be irritating. HTH.

This.

I place the roll inside a pillow case. It's a lot smoother than a towel.

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

We wrap our gel rolls (chest & axillary) in pillowcases. Smoother than a towel, and protects the patient from the plastic "seams" at the edges. Plus, ours have seen better days and are covered in tegaderms or ooze a bit.

Specializes in surgical, emergency.

We've re-thought our ax rolls. Before, we used an IV bag rolled into a towel. I've always been careful to not have wrinkles or seams before insertion.

Recently, we were told that IV bags were not appropriate, despite never having any trouble.

So we went to using the disposable perineal post pads from our ortho table inside of a towel.

I would like to get a couple of axillary roll gel pads.....where did you get yours??

Kind of like the pillow case idea, may give that a try.

Mike

I will try to find the the supporting info for you but in the mean time check out www.MHPmedical.com , they have ax-rolls in stock that look like IV bags and flat bottom rolls, we use both.

Specializes in Trauma Surgery, Nursing Management.

Here is the way I see it-would I trust that an ax roll was thoroughly cleaned and then put it under my axilla? Um...no freaking way! I cut off enough stockinette to cover the roll so that there are no seams.

Specializes in 2 years school nurse, 15 in the OR!.

I like the stockinette idea. We had a axillary gel roll for each room and they all got thrown away. I guess they got mixed up in the laundry and they didn't know what they were. We kept wrapping them in pillowcases and they kept disappearing....We use an IV bag once in a while, I guess it's a no-no now, it came out in AORN. I always wrap them in something...

Specializes in OR, transplants,GYN oncology.

I wrap them in a pillowcase. (Wrap the case around it rather than putting the gel roll or IV bag inside the case to avoid losing it in the laundry.)

I never use towels because they leave ugly marks on skin.

We still often use IV bags - I'm unaware of AORNs position against this...anyone care to summarize? Thanks

Specializes in Trauma Surgery, Nursing Management.
I wrap them in a pillowcase. (Wrap the case around it rather than putting the gel roll or IV bag inside the case to avoid losing it in the laundry.)

I never use towels because they leave ugly marks on skin.

We still often use IV bags - I'm unaware of AORNs position against this...anyone care to summarize? Thanks

Y'all feel free to jump in to add to my post, but I think the rationale against using IV bags is that the fluid in an IV bag does not disperse as evenly (because the bag itself can stretch) and thus does not provide the support that a gel ax roll does. Another point is that if a pt has an upper body bair hugger on, the fluid in the IV bag can absorb some heat.

I hope that helps some, elcue...and this is just one more reason that I love allnurses-because we can share thoughts and ideas as to how to improve our practice.

Specializes in OR, transplants,GYN oncology.

Thank you for sharing that info. Makes sense. Linda

+ Add a Comment