New grad needs moral support

U.S.A. Louisiana

Published

Specializes in O.R..

Hi everyone!! This is my first time posting on here. I'm just looking for a little moral support and perhaps some advice pertaining to the NCLEX, such as strategies, areas I should focus on, etc. I'm a new Charity grad. Class of December '09 baby!! and I'm taking my boards on Thursday morning. I also started my first job as an RN today at University Hospital or MCLNO or LSU Interim Hospital... whichever of its many names you prefer. I'm a new Charity grad. Class of December '09 baby!! I appreciate any words of encouragement and/or advice. I opted out of Hurst review and have only been preparing by doing practice questions (Kaplan, random websites, Mosby Review Cards, and Exam Cram NCLEX-RN practice question book). I made a 1027 on the HESI so I'm hoping I pass the first time!! :yeah::nurse:

Thanks in advance!

Specializes in O.R..

Oops I guess I made a copy/paste error in the first message and repeated some stuff... like I said: I'm new to posting here. :D

:clpty:Congratualations on graduating from Charity!

I took the TEAS last September b/c I was planning on applying for Charity RN program but sadly, I failed. So, I have given up. I am planning on applying to Charity LPN program in May although I will probably never find a job. I have heard that no one likes to hire LPN's anymore.

I am so happy for you in already having a nursing job. I have heard so many new RN's having difficulty finding jobs. Although I can't give you any advice on the NCLEX, I trully wish you all the luck in the world. May it go well!

keep us posted on how you do!

Specializes in O.R..
:clpty:Congratualations on graduating from Charity!

I took the TEAS last September b/c I was planning on applying for Charity RN program but sadly, I failed. So, I have given up. I am planning on applying to Charity LPN program in May although I will probably never find a job. I have heard that no one likes to hire LPN's anymore.

I am so happy for you in already having a nursing job. I have heard so many new RN's having difficulty finding jobs. Although I can't give you any advice on the NCLEX, I trully wish you all the luck in the world. May it go well!

keep us posted on how you do!

Just got home from the NLCEX-RN about a half hour ago and I'm feeling pretty good about it! I can't wait for quick results to come up. I did try the Pearson Vue trick and got the error pop up message so that's keeping me from being a nervous wreck for now!! Thanks for the support RN hopefull and in regards to your situation, don't be so discouraged because you didn't do well on the TEAS the first time. Take it again!! You'll be better prepared for the test the second time since you know what kind of material you're tested on. I think it's smart to look at other programs in the meantime but your screen name says RN hopefull!! Keep the faith.

I'm not really sure about the LPN hiring issue... I surely hope it's not true. In my orientation program, we had 2 new hire LPNs in the class so I know that the hospital I work at is hiring both LPNs and RNs.

Aren't you glad that is over? I am trully hoping you did well on your NCLEX-RN exam. How soon before you find out the results? Don't you wish they had the results for you immediately aftet the test?

Thanks for your support. I have been looking at the ATI book but of course, its the fear of going back in there and taking that test that keeps from moving forward. Back when I was at UNO, a few family deaths took a toll on me and I failed my Accounting class. When I went to the teacher for help, he "suggested" I drop out of UNO b/c he said maybe college wasn't for me. I was devastated but I took the class again (w/ another teacher of course) and made a B.

But, unlike my Accounting class, my next attempt at the TEAS would be my last chance. Thats a lot of pressure. It's like, do I try again and run the risk of failing it? or don't ever take it again and not have to beat myself if I fail it again?

Anyway, don't want to ruin your joy over completing the NCLEX-RN. I am sure you passed it. You made it through nursing school...you are obviously a smart person. You will be okay :lol2:

Specializes in O.R..

The best way I know how to answer your question is: What's the worst that could happen? If you pass it then AWESOME. If you don't, then you'll know that you tried! I've run into a few teachers like the one you mentioned at UNO (thankfully none were at Charity) and I know exactly how you feel... discouraged, disappointed, angry even. I can only offer my opinion and that is that you have nothing to lose by trying again. If it were me, I'd beat myself up more knowing that there was a chance I could have done it and was too afraid to try than if I tried my best and didn't pass again. The "not knowing" would be so much worse for me.

My suggestion to you would be to go ahead and try the test again (study study study. concentrate on the areas you were weak on the first time around). In the meantime, gather information on the LPN program (and any other programs that peak your interest) if you think that would be something you'd be interested in. Charity has great programs all around, whether it be RN, LPN, Surgical Tech, etc. And there's always the option of starting in an LPN program now and doing an LPN-RN bridge later if you decide you still want to pursue your RN.

I'm all about taking risks and life is short! You gotta go for what it is you want in life, even if it is scary and pressure like you've never experienced before. Nursing school is nothing but pressure! But, you can trust me when I tell you: coming out of it on the other side makes you feel amazing and you realize that all the pressure has only served to make you a more confident person all around. :up:

Yes, you are very right. I must admit the fact of not taking one more chance at it would probably haunt me for the rest of my life. Well, I am planning on applying to the LPN program this May. I have already passed the LPN entrance exam back in October so I am happy about that. Now its just a waiting game until May when applications are due.

Maybe I failed the TEAS for a reason. Had I not failed it, I would have never looked into the LPN program. Maybe I will like to be an LPN. Who knows.

For now, I am volunteering at Childrens Hospital. I work in the Hemotoloy/Oncology playroom (4th floor) and I love it. The kids I have met since I started last year are true fighters. I sometimes wish I could do more for them but as a volunteer I am limited to how much I can do for them. Working there has made me realize that working with sick children is what I see myself doing the rest of my life. Business is definitely not for me.

Lets send out our support to our new nurse who hopefully passed the NCLEX she took today!

Hey RN Hopefull! I remember you from one of my previous posts (Charity w/not so good GPA, I think). I'll be finishing the remainder of my ADN prerequisites this semester and plan on applying for the LPN program by May. Anyway, just look on the bright side. If you have to apply for Charity a year in advance, why not go through the LPN program (16 months) because if you complete the LPN program through DCC, when you get accepted into the ADN program at Charity, you go straight into 2nd level nursing courses if you are already an LPN. I decided not to take the TEAS just yet. Keep your chin up, things do happen for a reason. I also volunteered at Children's over the summer :). When we are faced with soo many obsticles, I think it just makes us realize our full potential and makes us fight even more for what we really want.

Hey NurseStudent1975! I am glad to know that someone else is applying to the LPN program also! Thats Fantastic to hear! I am taking Intro to A&P and Lab, and DMTP 101 (the new nutrition class). Have you taken the exam you need for the LPN program? I took the TABE, but I didn't take it at Delgado Testing Center. I took it at the place on Causeway next to the Firestation. The place is right before you get to the Saturn dealer and the UNO campus. Luckily, I passed it in like October of last year so glad thats out of the way.

I hope we get into the program. I am really excited about getting in and becoming a Nurse! You know my mom said the same thing, things happen in this order for a reason. She said maybe it will be better for me to go the LPN route before the RN since I have two small children and it might be really tough for me to just put them on the back burner while I am in school. I think you guys might be right.

My little one has a Kidney disorder and just Monday, we were at Childrens Hospital where she got her renal ultrasound and VCUG procedure done. You can't imagine how stressed I had been about her appts on Monday. Thankfully, everything is marching towards one day she being completely cured. She has Vesicoureteral Reflux.

This past New Years Eve, we rushed her to Childrens b/c her older sister gave her a slice of apple w/ peanut butter. Within seconds she was having a hard time breathing and was choking. Her face started to swell and she had huge bumps on her neck which also started to swell. We rushed her to the ER and found out she has a peanut allergy. My poor baby has been through a lot. I guess going straight into the RN program would not have turned out pretty good for me. Having to choose between my daughters and nursing school...the choice would be clear...my babies.

And you know what? If I had passed the TEAS, I would have NEVER considered the LPN program. I feel positive now! Thank you , Thank you, Thank You!

Please keep in touch so as the time gets closer to applying we can give each other the support we will need while waiting for that acceptance letter!

+ Add a Comment