Any ECPI grads or current students here?

U.S.A. North Carolina

Published

Specializes in LTC, SNF, Rehab.

I'm just curious as to the experience current students or grads of the Charlotte ECPI campus had. I have an appointment with a recruiter tomorrow evening. The school is close to me, and the appeal of evening classes and a 14 mo. program is drawing me in, but I'm also very afraid of the quality of the education I'll receive and how employable I will be upon graduation.

I am a 34 yr old divorced mother of two. I've been doing home daycare for 10 years and I want to get into nursing. I cannot afford to take the years to go through an RN program. We live paycheck to paycheck and money is painfully tight. I'm looking for a fastrack to a career that I will feel good about and that will support my family.

Due to cost, I would much prefer to take classes at a community college such as Rowan-Cabarras, but there are all the pre-req's I'll have to take plus the CNA course and even then, no guarantee that I'll get in. I don't want to do all that and then not get in before the time limit on the pre-req classes would be up. Also, I 'd like to be practicing before my children graduate! They're 10 & 12.

Also, can an LPN's salary in the Charlotte area comforably support a family of 3? I know I will get some sort of financial aid, but I have no idea how much. Does anyone know of special programs for single moms? My kids are on medicaid, and while we would probably qualify for food stamps, we're not receiving any other assistance.

I know an LPN's hours are all over the place. I actually like the idea of working 3 or 4 days a week at 12 hr days. I currently work 6 days a week; M-F typically being 11 hours and Sundays being 4 hours and I barely make $20,000/yr. This year has been espcially hard, so it's likely even less.

Considering the entire cost of a community college program, with the pre-req courses, cna classes and everything, is there that much of a difference in cost? Realistically, does anyone know how much I should plan to spend out of pocket at ECPI? If it ends up being $10,000, or more, is it worth it to get into the field that much sooner and begin paying?

At this point in my life, I don't have time for failure, so I HAVE to make this work. Thanks!

i haven't attended ecpi, but u can check the nc board of nursing site (ncbon.com) for pass rates of ecpi grads (80-90%) to give u an idea of the quality of the ed. u mentioned lpn, most of the best opportunities for lpn's n this state are n ltc/agencies, not hospitals (best opportunities for rn's r generally in hospitals). must lpn programs thru the state cc's are around 12 months, but have limited/competitive entry as u mentioned.

Specializes in Psych, LTC, Acute Care.

Good Luck to you! I had a friend the went to ECPI in Raleigh and she thought the education was okay. They didn't get a wide variety of expereince in clinicals. They often went to clinics and Mentally Challenged group homes. Instead of hospitals. She graduated and it paying a ton of money each month.($500) but she her salary is good. She makes 40K a year. She is older and all her kids are grown. You will probably get more finacial aid because you have smaller children. You will make alot more money that your CNA job but in LTC. Hospitals pay for LPN's are crap and most do not hire them anymore. Hang in there you will make it! Your life will get better with the increase in pay.

Oh, sorry. When I said I do daycare, I meant childcare. I have no previous nursing experience.

Did she have any trouble finding a job after graduation? Was the career placement from the school worth while? If I'm adding a payment onto my already fragile budget, my income will have to increase a lot to accommodate it.

I do not want to be in LTC forever, but I figured I would have to start there, gain more experience then decide if I want to go on to RN. Or, maybe the more flexible hours, income and medical experience will point to another direction in the medical field. I am very surprised by the very few educational options here.

Oh, sorry. When I said I do daycare, I meant childcare. I have no previous nursing experience.

Did she have any trouble finding a job after graduation? Was the career placement from the school worth while? If I'm adding a payment onto my already fragile budget, my income will have to increase a lot to accommodate it.

I do not want to be in LTC forever, but I figured I would have to start there, gain more experience then decide if I want to go on to RN. Or, maybe the more flexible hours, income and medical experience will point to another direction in the medical field. I am very surprised by the very few educational options here.

No she didn't have any problems finding a job. In the Raleigh area there are alot of jobs for LPN in LTC. You definetly gotta start somewhere. You should be fine. I here they work with you.

Does anyone know if books/supplies are included in the tuition? Or is that separate?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if books/supplies are included in the tuition? Or is that separate?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure they are included.

Ok, I met with the ECPI rep this evening. They've canceled the LPN night classes and they do not know when a new class will be scheduled. Day classes are not an option for me.

Because I have no medical background and I am horrible at math, she thinks I would fare better in the Medical Assisting program. Those are still being offered at night. Also, the LPN program only awards a diploma, while the CMA program awards an associate degree. The CMA program is only 2 months longer than the LPN.

EVERYTHING is included in the tuition. Tutoring is even included. CMA is one of the first careers I had considered. The only reason I decided on LPN was because they make more money. I like that CMA's do both office and clinical work. I like the variety. I like deskwork, but I also like workig with people.

I was worried how I would do as a nurse, seeing people at their worst and dieing. I cry when my daycare kids move on, so I was afraid of how torn up I'd be over losing a patient. I know CMA is less money, but I'm feeling more comfortable with this option. And, the hours are better. I really do not want to work in a nursing home, and that's basically what LPN's do here. I've checked the hospitals, and I've not found a single listing for LPN's, but I have found quite a few for CMA's. The hospital 10 minutes from my house had openings for 4 CMA's when I checked last week.

I'm wondering what the advancement opportunities are for CMA's. Hmmm...I need to see if CMA's have a board like this....lol.

simply put, don't do cma, definitely not at ecpi, the cost doesn't justify the degree imo.

There is a thread on the general nursing board about CMA's. There is no advancement in the field and many are still trying to find jobs. Even if you got a job, the salary is so low that you will have a hard time paying the tution. Do what you have to do to become a nurse. Dont do the CMA program. You will regret it.

Thank you for your input. I really like the scope of what CMA's do, but I am very afraid of the payscale and my ability to keep up on my current bills AND student loan.

I just found another nearby cc that offers an lpn course and all I have to do to get in is take the Compass, any applicable remedial courses and English 111, Bio 163, and PSY 110. I'll also have to take the ACT with a grade of 18 or higher, then I can apply to the nursing program.

I've been doing job searches for CMA's & LPN's, and I'm finding a lot more ads for CMA's. ALL of the LPN position's I've found advertised were with staffing agencies for either home health care or nursing homes. I can't do an RN program at this time, but will keep that option open for the future. Should I be worried about the job listings I'm seeing?? cc's do not help with job placement.

Also, all the ads I've seen are require 1 - 5 yrs of experiene. Will the LPN course also certify me for Phlebotemy, or should I do that separately? I've seen a couple mention that.

Has anyone graduated from ECPI in Raleigh's LPN program? I would like to hear some experiences you had there? Also, what is the difference between their day and night classes? Thanks in advance!!

+ Add a Comment