CCRI lpn program

U.S.A. Rhode Island

Published

Hi everyone my name is Cristine iIm 21 years old. I've recently got my GED and I've been wanting to go back to school. I'm real interested in nursing. I just don't know where to start. I was looking at CCRI at the LPN program they have and it says its about a year. But someone told me theres pre reqs you have to take before even getting accepted into the program? what exactly is it and on average how long do they take? And do you think they will look down on me for having my ged? I'm sorry for all the questions im new to all this. Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

Yes, they have allot of pre reqs for the lpn, same as for their rn program . In fact CCRIs lpn program is really just punishment for people that got a D in nursing 2. Or some people take Nursing 3 to start working as a nurse a little earilier. Most people have already gone so far that they just take the two more semesters for their RN license. If you want an lpn program, vocational schools are an easier way to go.

Specializes in Med/Surg.

I agree with the previous poster. For LPN licensure and a much shorter route than CCRI, I would try Diman. http://www.dimanregional.org/lpn.asp They are having an information session at the school on September 28th.

**What are the admission requirements?

You must either have a high school diploma or a GED. In addition applicants must meet minimum standards on a standardized Pre-Admission test, attend an interview, and after meeting the minimum standards submit three references on school forms.

A pre-entrance health examination is required of all incoming students. This includes blood and urine test, urine drug screen, immunizations and dental.

A CORI check is required of all accepted students.

I went to highschool with a girl who did the Diman LPN program a few years ago and she had a good experience with them. However, if you are interested in RN licensure, CCRI is a viable option, and there are many members here who can give you good advice about the school. I am in the BSN program at RIC, so if you have questions about that, please ask. Good luck in your decision!

Specializes in Emergency Nursing.
Yes, they have allot of pre reqs for the lpn, same as for their rn program . In fact CCRIs lpn program is really just punishment for people that got a D in nursing 2. Or some people take Nursing 3 to start working as a nurse a little earilier. Most people have already gone so far that they just take the two more semesters for their RN license. If you want an lpn program, vocational schools are an easier way to go.

I don't think I would phrase it as "CCRI's LPN program is really just a punishment for those who got a D in Nursing II" but I will agree with you that once you've gotten to that point it seems more practical to just do the last year and get your RN. One thing that a lot of pre-nursing students don't realize is that currently the job market for an LPN is rather limited because most health care settings are looking for an RN. If your not interested in working in Long Term Care (Nursing Homes, Assisted Living etc.) or a Dermatology or Dialysis Clinic then your not going to find much else in terms of work as an LPN so that's something you need to keep in mind. I will say to the OP that you should be congratulated on getting your GED and trying to take the plunge and go for further education. If you have any questions or need any sort of advice just be sure to ask me (Chris) or my fellow classmate at RIC, RhodyGirl-SN (Lauren) because we're big geeks and love talking about this stuff.

!Chris :specs:

Specializes in Med/Surg/Pedi/Tele.

I agree with Chris, if you are looking into an LPN program look at the jobs around and decide if you want to stay in LTC or work in a hospital. Pretty much all of the hospitals are only hiring RN's and the ones in Mass will only hire you with a BSN. If you look on the CCRI website they do have all the pre-req's that are required prior to entering the nursing program.

Ouch!!!

Ccri will not measure you based on acquiring a GED

I'm a high school dropout

And 14 years later I'm doing extremely well

The prereqs for the lpn and rn are the same

Just get started then after a year if you decide you want to keep going keep going

Nobody was making judgements about GEDs or CCRI judging students based on GEDs. I was stating a fact , a true fact, that if a students gets a C or better, they are allowed to skip the class Nursing 3, which leads to LPN licensure, and they take nursing 4 then 5, which leads to rn licensure. And I wasn't judging people that get a d in nursing 2, I was stating the fact that if a student gets a d in nursing 2, then they are only allowed to progress to Nursing 3. They can only go be reinstated at CCRI after working as an lpn for a year. I knew an lpn in my Human Physiology class (which she had to retake because its only good for 5 years) that this happened to. And while I didn't ask her if she got a D in Nursing 2, I'll bet you she did.

woah!!!

if your referencing my "ouch" I perfectly understood what you were saying. I only mentioned the GED not based on your comment, but just to give Cristine positive feedback. I purposely chose to refrain from any other comment but "ouch" and will leave it at that life is too short and precious. I probably should have started another paragraph or added and indention so as not to confuse. Who knows, cant please everybody.

good luck to you Cristine and whatever path you choose.

All in love...all in love

+ Add a Comment