University of Phoenix MSN Program

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

:welcome:

I would like to use this thread for all of us attending or having attended UofP.

I am going to begin classes in August of this year in the MSN/ED program.

I would love to hear from different people who are in different stages of the program and what they have liked and hated.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH THE PROGRAM AND ONLY WANT TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL.

I hope other U of P alumni will get involved and help us with any sticky situations that arise and offer their wisdom.

Thanks,

Hi Gigi... I did UOP for both BSN and MSN... once I got going I went all the way... I would not have done school any other way... I LOVED the online format... are you on Facebook? There is a UOP application there too that people are "fans" so you can chat with other students there too. Books...well I am the type who doesn't like to read online books...one of the ladies I teach with went to UOP had a lot of the books I needed...but you can get books through Amazon...used copies are well priced...and then you can sell them back through Amazon... it is a fast-paced program (but I loved that classes didn't take an entire traditional semester like ground programs)... so you do have to be dedicated to the program. Support from your family is a must! There will be times you can't "go out" because you have to log into class or get a paper/group project worked on. But it's 2 years!! That's it! I took the Nursing education track and now teach in a nursing program at the local community college. I finished last Nov (08) but am headed to Phoenix in a couple weeks to officially "walk" at graduation... very excited about that. I agree with JoMom, a lot of the research you will do is found in the UOP library... some of the books for classes I barely even opened... which is why I sold them back on Amazon.

I hope that helps. I am so happy I went back to school at UOP!

If you get onto Facebook, check out the UOP group!

My husband and I did the walk in July of 2006, it was definitely worth the trip. We are from the Boston area, and the plane was full of UoP graduates.

Specializes in ICU/OB.

I have a facebook - which one did you select for UOP there were several.

Just the regular UOP...you can type that in the facebook search and it will pull it up. I also am part of the alumnae group, but the basic UOP seems to have a lot of current students... that might be the most helpful to you...

Specializes in ICU/OB.

I seen the site on UOP website. Thanks

I went o UOP for a previous degree and I value the education I got at UOP, found my courses much more challenging than any other school setting, and I attended classes, did not do it online. I did find that many courses did not transfer out or if they did they were "lowered". I wish other educational institutions would see the great educational value and the great professors UOP offers. In their setting, we do 2x as much reading and writing as a reg university would, and the group projects are "testing" at times because you put your heart and soul into it and your grade still depends on many times pulling other peoples' weights...Anyway, good luck, I'd go back to UOP, but can't afford it.

Specializes in ICU/OB.

I am in my second week and love it. I am so glad I chose UoP.

Specializes in a variety.

It's great that u made a decision that fits "your life." UOP-MSN program defintiely becomes a challenge as you progress through the MSN courses. The initial classes are bascially to introduce you to graduate studies and what will be required of you as a graduate-level learner. So, take advantage of the free tutorials and workshop in the beginning, because it will help ensure your ability to keep up with online learning requirments. Take time out for yourself and your family, as the stressors will come. Advance planning is vital/crucial, in that you must not procrasinate as this could cause major set backs in your progression through the program. I agree with some of the other posters that some students become fustrated because they are not prepared to do graduate level work and you will see persons drop out of the program or become fustrate within the thread and/or perform poorly academically.

You must acheive a B average in every course with uop MSN program! This is the expectaion at most ground and online programs.

The current CNO-chief nursing officer at the community hospital where I live obtained her MSN from-University of Phoenix-online.

All The best,

Praise, RN

Specializes in CNA - Oncology.

Hello everyone!

I am intersted in attending the University of Phoenix for their MSN program in the future and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad feedback? I've heard it is on the expensive side but also very good things too!

Thanks so much!

teenie

get ready for a lot of paper writting, group work and high $$$ tuition, although i believe i've gained a lot more (academically speaking) from uop than from any other universities i attended, it saddens me that other institutions still don't accept many credits from uop... as if online classes are junkā€¦ if only they took the time to learn about uop they would be very surprised. if you plan to transfer out before graduation, you may have to take some classes twice. good luck! :-)

Thanks for all the great info on UOP. I am considering completing my NP with a MSN as I was certified back when I was in my 20's. I have been debating doing the MSN Completion for NP's (I am cert'd in women's health) or just getting it over with and doing an FNP MSN program. The debate stems from the ultimate number of hours, getting the MSN completed, versus, doing a Post MSN FNP certificate. I am still undecided, as money is an issue, and I am approaching 50, so the cost benefit equation bothers me. I have been away from nursing for 14 years, although I have been constantly volunteering during that time with our Medical Reserve Team in our Village, but now have started back to work as a triage RN with a occupational health company. I was wondering about admission and not currently having recent JOB experience..I had been a 70 hour per week OB/GYN NP for 10 years when I left the workforce. Anyone else doing a NP Completion or the Post certificate FNP that would care to chime in...I need some help deciding....on which path to follow>...thanks, Renee:bugeyes:

Specializes in ICU/OB.

I am on my second class and I am glad I chose UOP. PM for more information

Hi,

I'm considering going back to UOP for the MSN program. Can someone please give detailed information regarding the Nursing Practicums? I don't work in a patient-care setting. I'm concerned about being able to fulfill the requirements of the practicums.

+ Add a Comment