CRC salaries in SF Bay Area?

Specialties Research

Published

Specializes in pediatrics, public health.

Hi,

I recently applied for a Clinical Research Coordinator position with a local clinical research company here in the SF Bay area, and somewhat to my surprise, they called me back for an interview. I have only been a working nurse for 5 months, but also have a PhD in Chemistry, and many years of experience doing data analysis.

Anyway, who knows if they'll offer me a job, but I figure I should have an idea of what salary to ask for if they do. Can anyone tell me what to expect to make as a CRC? Salaries in CA and especially the Bay Area tend to be higher than the rest of the country, but I'd still be interested in hearing ballparks figures from other parts of the country too. I'm currently earning $50/hr ($44 base + $6 shift differential) as a bedside pediatric nurse. I like what I'm doing (most of the time) but hate the hours, which suck for a single parent of a young child (I have a 6 year old son), so I'm thinking of trying to get back to a M-F 9-5 schedule.

Thanks in advance,

Diane

Specializes in OR, HH.

I can't give you much advice about Research Nursing, but I can say that when your child gets in to school, as a single parent, you may appreciate working nights. You will able to attend all school functions as well be there if your child is home sick from school. The nine-to-five is not sooo great with children.

Good Luck with Research Nursing, what a wonderful field.

Specializes in OR, HH.

I meant to ask, where are you working getting paid $44.00 per hour + diff. That is great pay. I am applying for telemetry after two and a half as a Trauma OR Nurse and have been offered $32.00 + 4 diff in Southern Calif.

Specializes in pediatrics, public health.
I can't give you much advice about Research Nursing, but I can say that when your child gets in to school, as a single parent, you may appreciate working nights. You will able to attend all school functions as well be there if your child is home sick from school. The nine-to-five is not sooo great with children.

Good Luck with Research Nursing, what a wonderful field.

Attend school functions? When do you sleep? And what about weekends when you're working that night, but your kid is awake during the day? The only way I could see making night shift work is to sleep while my son is at school (and I need 8 hours, which means sleeping 9am-5pm, and leaving him in the after care program), and to hire a babysitter to watch him on weekends while I was sleeping, and again while I was at work. This would have added up to even more enormous babysitting costs than what I'm paying now (which is already prohibitive). I've heard others say that night shift is great for parents, but I don't quite get it -- do these people just not sleep?

To answer your other question, I work at Children's Hospital Oakland. My salary is in line with other hospitals in the Bay Area, for example, I know that Kaiser (in Oakland, SF, Walnut Creek, Hayward, Richmond and Fremont) pays about the same, and I'm pretty sure most other hospitals around here do to.

Where in So Cal are you? You could try Kaiser down there.

Thanks for your response to my question!

Diane

Specializes in OR, HH.

Hi Diane,

What hours are you working that you don't care for? Honestly, if I were you with your background in Chemistry, forget about nights and go for research. That would be so amazing to be a part of something that brings a lot of good to mankind. I am involved in "Tyler's Team" which is in memory of nephew, Tyler, who passed away from Leukemia. All of the proceeds from the annual dinner, etc ($30,000)go directly to a wonderful researcher, Dr Barry Maurer (CHLA). He has done amazing things with the monies and it goes to research and nothing else.

When I started working nights my children were 7 and 10. So at the time, if they were home sick from school I would be able to "doze" (unless, of course, they were throwing up). As far as school functions (plays, teacher parent conf) I would catch up on sleep at some point. I'm not saying that it is easy, but worth a try. You are right about weekends, they are a little tough.

I am unemployeed at this time (three mos) and have an interview (Surgical and or Cardiac Telemetry) this Fri at Glendale Adventist in Glendale, CA (near the Rose Bowl) for nights and now I am starting to think otherwise (lol) after remembering that nights are tough. With this economy it has been tricky to find a job the last three months, so I may have to take what is offered. I also have other apps out there and am waiting for a call backs on two of them specifically. My goal is to end up in ICU then possibly on to be a Nurse Anesthetist.

Previously, I worked at LACUSC Medical Center in Los Angeles ($38.00?) in the OR (3yrs experience and is my second career), I left there for a night Charge position at a Hosp. in Pasadena, CA and was making $42 per hr. At the time our neighbors were under major construction (honestly I could not sleep during the day even with earplugs, there was so much noise) I had to resign after requesting days. The position is very difficult to fill and they did not want people flip-flopping back and forth.

Good Luck with your interview. Let me know how it goes!!!!!:yeah:

Leslie

Specializes in Ambulatory Case Management, Clinic, Psychiatry.

Does the job specify that the position needs a nurse? or is it just a basic CRC position? The ones requiring only a BA (not nursing experience) only pay 25-40k at the most (in my experience).

+ Add a Comment