Ohhhh JOBS.. where are you????

U.S.A. Connecticut

Published

Am I the only one having trouble getting a response from a prospective places of employment? :uhoh21:

Are there job freezes everywhere? Is this just an "odd" time to graduate? Are new graduate nurses (RN) even considered anymore!???? Am I doing something wrong??

I am becoming so depressed over this. :( I want to start putting into practice all that I have learned in my two years. It's so frustrating to have so much to offer, and find yourself unable to GIVE. UGH.. this is so very disheartening! :cry:

Make yourself more maketable... get PALS and ACLS certified.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Tele/SNF-LTC/Supervisory.

Thanks.. have BLS through job ... would love to take a course in ALS however funds are tight. Nursing school pretty much tapped my finances dry. Thanks for the advice though. I do appreciate it.! :kiss

Ugh.. I reside mid state area, any other state would be more than 50 minute commute and I'm trying to find something more near my home now. Tired of the long drives... keeping fingers crossed that I won't have to resort to them again.

Well.. I did NOT get the position I wanted the most! Bummed, but in a sense.. relieved! Isn't that odd? Maybe just my body protecting me from a black depression.. hahaha. Onward Christian Soldier... I suppose!

NocturneNrse,

I am so sorry you are having such difficulty. I know how absolutely discouraging and disheartening it is...I am a May 08 grad and I am in your boat!! I understand how you would rather begin in a hospital (as I also feel the same way) but since you have geri experience would you consider LTC? I know after working so hard in school you may want to be somewhere else, but at least it could be a starting point until things got better. They will get better and I firmly believe your perfect job awaits you! (can you tell this is what I tell myself as I sit at home calling HR and combing through jobs all day...? :chuckle)

I have also heard St. Camillus in Stamford (http://www.harborsidehealthcare.com/locations.php?orgid=58) is looking for help...keep your head up. Your hard work WILL pay off. We will get jobs, we just might have to realize that it might not be our dream job right now (bummer I know) but everything is relative at this point...with the way things are I'd consider cleaning toilets in the hospitals if that might mean a foot in the door...:chuckle

You can always keep working towards your dream job once more jobs become available..don't give up, best of luck to you!!

Does anybody work at Yale new-haven hospital, in CT? Better yet, has anybody been able to find a job in a hospital in the Northeast?

I heard Yale-New Haven was hiring new grads... I know of a few (that were not internal employees) that had started there a few months ago. I know online applications are completely discouraging since they seem to get lost into cyberspace but have you been able to march on in in person? That is the only way I've been able to get any interviews at all..and by any I mean 2 haha. I know Greenwich Hosp, which is part of the Yale New Haven System is not hiring new grads for July 2009 :(

NocturneNrse and Eeyore: I do however have a friend at St Vincent's Hospital in Bridgeport and they are having a job fair next Saturday (2/21) and are welcoming new grads! Here is the link: http://www.stvincents.org/careeropps/

Hope your searches are going well! Best of luck to everyone.

Try Backus Hospital in Norwich. They have a Nurse Residency Program (the only one of its kind in the region). New grads and new nurses rotate for one month each on five different floors with one on one preceptor. One day a week there is "classroom" or didactic learning. Then you are guaranteed a position after the rotations are over. Pay is good. I know they are interviewing for the next round of hires for the summer. Good luck.

Thanks orange57 and sbrn2008. I applied for the Backus Hospital program, back in Novemeber. Based on the online application status, I wasn't picked. I'm having the same expereince when applying to Yale. I actually called the HR person and got some feedback. The HR person just told me that it all depends on the unit I applied for, how many applicants applied and other factors, but to continue applying. I appplied for a grad nurse position. On Yale's website it posted the job and it described the high volume they are expecting for 2009 new grads. How could I be denied so quickly. Mind you I went to the open house they had last week. I was able to give my resume to managers. I hope something pans out, if not I guess I wil just have to try my chances out of state. i'm just really sad, frustrated and ****** off at the same time. I feel like wearing a t-shirt that says: I went to nursing school and passed my boards and all I have to show for it is my nursing school degree, my nursing license, and no job.

Try again at Backus and keep calling and leaving messages with the nurse recruiter (his name is on website www.backushospital.org) until he calls you back. I had to leave several, my last one saying I could wait for a return call for two days and then I would contact the VP of nursing. The next program isn't until June, so I don't know how long you want to wait, but it might be worth a try. I completely understand your frustration. I went through a depression of sorts too. Best wishes.

St Vincents' Hospital is going to have a Job Fair this Saturday, February 21, from 10-noon.

Thanks sbrn2008, for the info about Backus.

+ Add a Comment