Winston Salem State University

U.S.A. North Carolina

Published

Specializes in NICU, PACU, Pediatrics.

Has anyone done their rn-->bsn program? Looking into it and wondered if it was good or not

Specializes in CNA, Medication Aide.

i was a student there but did not complete has a great passing rate u need to to talk to **** or **** if i am not mistaken to find out what classes u need to take etc

Specializes in NICU, PACU, Pediatrics.

I sent my questionaire and transcript so shoul hear from them soon

Specializes in GYN/GON/Med-Surg/Oncology/Tele.
Has anyone done their rn-->bsn program? Looking into it and wondered if it was good or not

I'm at WSSU now taking my prerequisites for the ABSN program. Every nurse on my floor on nights did the ABSN program and they loved it. They did however all agree that WSSU lacked organization and I must say that in a way I agree with them especially considering I got my first degree from ECU and for the most part, they were on point.

what r the prerequisites for the ABSN program at WSSU

what r the prerequisites for the ABSN program at WSSU

Microbiology

A&P 1&2

Gen. Chemistry

Dev. Psych

a Computer class

Statistics

and of course a previous degree in a field other than nursing

thats great I have already completed the prereqs i am not going the bsn route b/c its so many people trying to get in the program so I am going to get my degree in something else & go that route

thats great I have already completed the prereqs i am not going the bsn route b/c its so many people trying to get in the program so I am going to get my degree in something else & go that route

So are you graduating December 08 or May of next year?

The ABSN program accepts only about 45 students each January. So you'd think it would be just as competitive if not more than the traditional BSN program.

I am looking at the accelerated program through WSSU as well. So far I'm getting the impression that they might not be as organized or as interested in speaking with potential students as UNC/CH or Emory, for example. I had appointments to speak with people at those schools within a week of my inquiry. At WSSU they are offering me an appointment 4 weeks down the road.

I am moving back to NC this summer and am trying to decide between Durham (Duke or UNC/CH options) or Winston-Salem (anything other than WSSU??? anyone knows of?)

Either way I go, I'll have 2 semesters of the pre-reqs to complete at the community college. As a 45 yr old I would like to choose a city where I think I could potentially stay and call home, and make it work rather than considering moving again in another year. I love everything about W-S except for the reservations I currently have about WSSU. Like the school options in Durham, but not the cost of living (for UNC at least.)

How many students DO apply to the WSSU program? Is it ridiculously difficult to get into?

I graduted from the accelerated program. Yes they are unorganized but I had a friend who went to UNC's accelerated program and said the same thing. They have a good pass rate. Duke's program is good but you have to pay tuition up front and then have to work it off over three years. UNC gives you money up front to pay tuition but it is very competitive and they only take around 60 people. They get more than 300 applications and want you to have community service. WSSU use to fund everyone and you had to work at Wake Forest Baptist now they only fund 30 and the rest have to come up with money on their own.

Specializes in UM, Care Mgmt, OB, Med-Surg.

I graduated from WSSU RN-BSN program this spring. I agree that it's not the most organized program I've enrolled in, but it is by far not the worst. I think a lot of the issues stem from the fact that the distance education sector is still fairly new and they are trying to work out the kinks.

I found the program to be geared towards workng-experienced RN's with obligations outside of school which is exactly what I needed. I really don't many complaints and I have recommended the program to all of my nursing friends and colleagues.

HTH!

I am moving back to NC this summer and am trying to decide between Durham (Duke or UNC/CH options) or Winston-Salem (anything other than WSSU??? anyone knows of?)

ECU offers an Alternate Entry MSN program. Here is the link for more information.

http://nursing.ecu.edu/ae_overview.htm

I personally wish I could do it but I've already taken my prereqs at WSSU and my science classes won't transfer so I'm staying at WSSU.

+ Add a Comment