Its possible to get my BSN, right?

Students ADN/BSN

Published

Okay, Right after high school, its possible to get my BSN right? While getting my BSN I am still taking my courses required for CRNA?

I'm just wondering, because I'm seeing a lot of programs that offer "RN-to-BSN" why not just get BSN?

Editorial Team / Admin

sirI, MSN, APRN, NP

17 Articles; 44,729 Posts

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Sure. You can enter a BSN program.

The CRNA part is after you graduate and are RN though. You enter an anesthesia program after you get the required critical care experience as RN and upon graduation, are conferred MSN and will be CRNA after you pass the anesthesia certification boards.

RN-to-BSN are for those who normally are ADN-RN going for their BSN.

Tweety, BSN, RN

34,248 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

Yes you can, and you should, get your BSN right out of high school if your goal is to be a CRNA. To become a CRNA, first you must get a BSN, then you take the NCLEX exam to become an RN, then you must have 2 years of hands-on nursing in critical care, then your apply to CRNA school and take those classes (and no, you will not be taking these classes while getting your BSN, it is a completely different graduate school program) and graduate and take another exam.

As to why some of us go for the Associates first, there are many reasons. For myself living in a small town it was the only option I had, because I was unable to move. I later got my BSN through one of the many RN to BSN programs. Other people go for financial reasons, waiting list reasons, time considerations, and long-term goal considerations.

Good luck to you. Feel free to ask questions.

The-Manny

18 Posts

Thank a lot Sir and Tweety!

So once I'm a RN, I am still able to go to college to take my classes required for CRNA, right? So once I send in my application for CRNA school, do I then start taking the required classes or do I take them before I apply?

Would taking those clases require me to major in something? Also do I have to be on campus for them or online? (Which one would a CRNA program prefer? Hands on or Online?)

Thanks a lot you guys!

Editorial Team / Admin

sirI, MSN, APRN, NP

Thank a lot Sir and Tweety!

So once I'm a RN, I am still able to go to college to take my classes required for CRNA, right? So once I send in my application for CRNA school, do I then start taking the required classes or do I take them before I apply?

Would taking those clases require me to major in something? Also do I have to be on campus for them or online? (Which one would a CRNA program prefer? Hands on or Online?)

Thanks a lot you guys!

Once you are an RN and have the required critical care RN experience, then you will enter a CRNA program at a university. You will take the classes for nurse anesthesia and do your nurse anesthesia clinicals.

Once you graduate from the nurse anesthesia program, you will be conferred the MSN. Then, you will sit for a nurse anesthesia certification examination. Once you pass that, you will be a CRNA.

I know of zero programs for online CRNA.

The-Manny

18 Posts

Oh no, sorry if I didn't make my question clear, but I meant the "required" courses "prior" to getting into a CRNA program, like taking the science classes.

Editorial Team / Admin

sirI, MSN, APRN, NP

You will have fulfilled your required science classes in your undergrad BSN program.

Tweety, BSN, RN

34,248 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

The BSN should be all you need prior to getting into CRNA without any other classes. But individual schools might be different in what they require, but usually having the BSN in enough.

You also have to have 2 years of working as an RN in a critical care/ICU type environment before you can even applly to CRNA school.

Good luck.

+ Add a Comment