BSN vs ADN

Nursing Students ADN/BSN

Published

In a profession like nursing it would seem that nursing experience counts for so much more than an extra two years of schooling.

I honestly don't understand why there is a high regard for a bachelor's degree in nursing.

I am not discounting the BSN but as a BSN myself I know that I don't hold a candle to someone with a ADN and 2 years of working experience.

4 years in school vs. 2 years in school + 2 years of working experience.

Thoughts?

I personally am going to get my BSN rather than my ADN because I want to be a midwife, which means a masters or doctorate. For me, it just makes more sense from a time management standpoint.

When it comes to the workforce though, I would think you have a point. However, not being a nurse yet I can't really say much. :wink2:

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

I chose the ADN because it's the fastest and most cost-effective route for me...and you're right--nothing beats hands-on work experience, and I'll get plenty of that fast :D

If I had the time/money, I'd do the BSN instead because it does open up more opportunities (management, education, etc.). But eventually, I'll get one.

Oh yeah, there's actually a whole forum devoted to this topic :)

https://allnurses.com/forums/f283/

Specializes in ICU, CCU, Trauma, neuro, Geriatrics.

Why do we even argue this issue, each nurse has their own career path. An ADN gets you to bedside faster and just as prepared as a BSN. A BSN or Masters without bedside experience prepares you for management without a real experience related to those you are making decisions for. It is not a perfect world and I am sure we all do the best we can with what training and experience we have to work with.

Specializes in Cardiac.

I agree with the previous poster in that we all choose the path that is right for us...this is a topic that has been beaten into the ground and will continue to be because it is just a hot button issue.

I have a previous degree in Psychology and so it made sense to just get my BSN in Nursing because with all of my previous credits transferred, it would take the same amount of time to get either an ASN or BSN. In addition, I know that bedside nursing is not where I want to remain. One of the reasons I chose nursing is because of the endless options in career paths within the field. I want all doors open for me, so I chose a BSN.

I graduate in 1 yr and will then work in the hospital for a few years and then go back to get my MSN/MPH.

I love nursing....so many choices, so little time---and that's why I chose Nursing!

I am finding that here in the Memphis, Tenn area, associate RNs are being discriminated against in all areas of hiring; unless you are willing to work only floors at night on weekends, you had better get your BSN before trying to look for work. Here work experience means nothing.

Specializes in PeriOp, ICU, PICU, NICU.
I am finding that here in the Memphis, Tenn area, associate RNs are being discriminated against in all areas of hiring; unless you are willing to work only floors at night on weekends, you had better get your BSN before trying to look for work. Here work experience means nothing.

Personally, I chose ADN because it was the only choice for me. I chose a private school so that I would bypass the dreaded waiting list-plus found my school to have the fairest entry system (points vs. lottery).

I would have LOVED to get my BSN-but was not going to risk being put in a waiting list.

I am now done, and will be going back for my BSN.

Specializes in oncology, surgical stepdown, ACLS & OCN.
In a profession like nursing it would seem that nursing experience counts for so much more than an extra two years of schooling.

I honestly don't understand why there is a high regard for a bachelor's degree in nursing.

I am not discounting the BSN but as a BSN myself I know that I don't hold a candle to someone with a ADN and 2 years of working experience.

Thoughts?

I have an ADN RN and I think 2 years is all the schooling that is needed. I think experience makes a tremendous difference. I have been an RN for 18 years and

I was an LPN for 2 years prior to me becomming an RN. I have tried a BSN program and didn't like it, but I am now looking into an accelllerated 2 year program. I am doing this so I can work longer in a different capacity.:monkeydance::monkeydance:

scooterRN52

Specializes in CCU, CVICU, ER.

Thoughts?

If you want to have it all. Get the BSN and the experience. Have the whole package.

Specializes in Tele/Transplant.
Personally, I chose ADN because it was the only choice for me. I chose a private school so that I would bypass the dreaded waiting list-plus found my school to have the fairest entry system (points vs. lottery).

I would have LOVED to get my BSN-but was not going to risk being put in a waiting list.

I am now done, and will be going back for my BSN.

Good for you! I just completed my ASN and am taking the NCLEX next week! I chose community college because I had to. They are the only ones who offer a weekend/evening program which allowed me to work full time and still go to nursing school. No university where I live has a program like that for a BSN--all are day programs that would require me to quit my job.

But I'm a big fan of education and love learning, and I would like to eventually get my BSN while I work as an RN so that I can open more doors toward advanced practice and/or research. Even if I don't go that route, I don't think more education is ever a waste. Conversely, not going on to a BSN doesn't make you stop learning either.

Specializes in PeriOp, ICU, PICU, NICU.
Good for you! I just completed my ASN and am taking the NCLEX next week! I chose community college because I had to. They are the only ones who offer a weekend/evening program which allowed me to work full time and still go to nursing school. No university where I live has a program like that for a BSN--all are day programs that would require me to quit my job.

But I'm a big fan of education and love learning, and I would like to eventually get my BSN while I work as an RN so that I can open more doors toward advanced practice and/or research. Even if I don't go that route, I don't think more education is ever a waste. Conversely, not going on to a BSN doesn't make you stop learning either.

Congratulations and God bless you next week while taking NCLEX. I am taking mine in 2 weeks as well...........;)

I agree, education is never wasted and like you, I love learning!

Thoughts?

What about this:

1 year (LPN) in school + 2 years of experience (I know some LPN programs are longer)

2 years (ADN) in school + 2 years of experience

4 years (BSN) in school + 2 years of experience

6 years (MSN) in school + 2 years of experience

Now, everyone is equal in terms of experience. Now what do you have?

You're always behind someone with experience. The new physician I'm working with is behind me but what about when she has my years in? She'll be ahead.

+ Add a Comment