Any Kansas students starting program in January?

U.S.A. Kansas

Published

Specializes in Medical.

I'm just starting a program next month & am, at this point, more concerned about what I'm getting into--haven't really allowed myself to get excited. I received CNA certification this summer and worked LTC, but gave that up (for school). I feel fairly comfortable about first semester clinical assessments. I took prereqs a long time ago. Just took Pathophysiology and found it challenging, but it was also a rapid review of those earlier classes; I had to get up to speed pretty quickly.

What can I expect this first semester--any surprises? Any Kansas students care to share first semester experiences?

I'm also starting in Jan. and I'm really scared about my time management skills! I have a 20 month old, my husband is a WONDERFUL help, I'm just scared!!!!! LOL.......Good luck to you!:balloons:

Specializes in Transplant.

What school are you going to? Of course, all schools differ in their curriculum and clinicals etc. I can say to be prepared for lots of reading, lots of studying, and lots of time management needed. Your clinical workups can take 6-8 hours or more on the day before clinicals, that is something I was not prepared for. They do get easier the more that you do, but they do take up a lot of time. I worked nearly full time while I was in school (no kids), but it was doable. Just don't look to get too much sleep for the next few.

I'm attending NCCC! I'm not having to work so I am thankful for that!

Specializes in Medical.
What school are you going to? Of course, all schools differ in their curriculum and clinicals etc. I can say to be prepared for lots of reading, lots of studying, and lots of time management needed. Your clinical workups can take 6-8 hours or more on the day before clinicals, that is something I was not prepared for. They do get easier the more that you do, but they do take up a lot of time. I worked nearly full time while I was in school (no kids), but it was doable. Just don't look to get too much sleep for the next few.

I'm going to WSU. Thanks for the information on clinical workups. I should be able to allow plenty of time. I don't have to work--wish I could make some money, but I'll just get used to doing without for a little while. Where did you go to school?

Specializes in Transplant.

I went to Butler. I am now finishing my Bachelor's through an online RN-BSN program.

I have been accepted at Butler this coming Spring. I have also been selected for an interview tomorrow at Wichita State School of Nursing. I don't know what Butler's program is like. I am trying to decide if I want to go at a slower pace and then do the bridge over or go for WSU. I have all my prerequ's for the BSN including Pharmacology. What do you think of the program at Butler and how is your experience with the bridge over? Thanks for your response!

Specializes in Medical.

How's it going? Congratulations on your acceptance to NS! Sorry it took so long to respond. Studying... To answer your question, I would probably lean toward WSU if you intend to immediately bridge over. Even if you live closer to Butler, you will be going to Wichita for clinicals. That said, I understand Butler has a great program--every bit as challenging as WSU's (woo-hoo!), and if you do live closer to Butler you will only have to travel on your clinical days. (I've been long-distance driving to school for way too long.)

What was your interview like? I started before the interview requirement was added.

I'm just going to butt in on this conversation. :) I just got accepted into Johnson County Community College LPN program. I start in January. I was nervous about the interview because it counts for 40% of the evaluation grade. The questions were kind of basic and not suprising. There was a question about time management and what would I do if I had a test and a paper due the next day but I had to go to work and then to my child's play that night, what would I do?

+ Add a Comment