University of Phoenix MSN Program

Students School Programs

Published

• Specializes in ER, Corrections, LTC, ICU, Case Mgt.

You are reading page 4 of University of Phoenix MSN Program

momentum

6 Posts

Specializes in ER, pediatrics.
I finally made the decision to go with UofPhx. I start the orientation class next week. I am going to try to petition for waiver of at least some of the bridge coursework. Has anyone done this successfully?

Would love to network with anyone going through the program or just starting it.

Good Luck. Let us know if you're successful.

dansmom6

29 Posts

Specializes in LTC, Med/Surg, OR, OB, instructor.

Thanks everyone for your input! I am in the process of deciding about switching from a traditional MSN program to an online program. I feel I am away from my family too much, along with working full time. Reading your comments is really helping me decide!

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

Hello! I'd like to join your group! I graduated BSN in March 06 (UOP) and just about to finish my first class in the MSN Ed track. Theorists! Thank heavens I am almost done, except for this colossal last paper. It's going pretty well so far,though...I'd be happy to contribute in any discussion. While I do like UOP a lot (hence my decision to remain with the MSN program) I abhor the LTs! I am 52, and at this point in my life I have all the experience I need working on a team. I think all LTs do is pull the weak people up so they can get a decent grade..with the strong members who sweat blood and tears getting the work done!

Just my two cents!

Red

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

Hello! I'd like to join your group! I graduated BSN in March 06 (UOP) and just about to finish my first class in the MSN Ed track. Theorists! Thank heavens I am almost done, except for this colossal last paper. It's going pretty well so far,though...I'd be happy to contribute in any discussion. While I do like UOP a lot (hence my decision to remain with the MSN program) I abhor the LTs! I am 52, and at this point in my life I have all the experience I need working on a team. I think all LTs do is pull the weak people up so they can get a decent grade..with the strong members who sweat blood and tears getting the work done!

Just my two cents!

Red

:wakeneo: Never, never, never give up!

Winston Churchill

suni, BSN, RN

477 Posts

Specializes in med surg.

I loved the BSNprogram but the cost of the MSN program is keeping me away. I do have tuition reimbursement but it comes with a committment to the hospital for 2 years and although I do not think I would leave just not sure I want to be that committed at this point. On the other hand I have 9 credits and hate to waste them.

Any cheaper programs out there any of you know of, I live in PA.

Specializes in SICU, Public Health.

I've just enrolled in the MSN at UOP with specialization in NsgEd. I'm 51, nervous about this journey and oh so grateful to see others in the same situation. I have nothing to add to the discussion yet, but I'll check in frequently.

Nice to meet you all!

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

Hello all, just finished with class #1...nursing theory. It was ok. I did well in it..so now I am on my week break with lots to catch up on around home. I do love the online aspect, I didn't have to change my work schedule when I started the BSN program...and some nights I was up late, and mornings up early. But what ground class can you sit in your jammies with a cup of coffee at your side? It's expensive, what isn't? I didn't like Walden...a friend of mine showed me what her "class" looked like, and I'm not sure her instructor even lived in the U.S. You do have to be committed, and you can't look around your house and see what else you can get into..you need to stay focused and dedicated to getting your school work done! Best of luck to those still looking... and for those of you pretty well into the program, I envy you!

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

Hello all! Due to a glitch in my financial statements (I dropped a hypenated name and they couldn't get my loan straight, imagine that)..I have been off 2 weeks longer than I planned to be. That's ok. I've gotten a lot of things done around home that needed done. I start my second MSN class on the 14th. I just got offered a FT position in the clinical lab (which is what I wanted), although I will miss the clinical site...but I am another rung up the ladder because of the extra hours.

How does everyone like the new UOP online format? I haven't seen it yet, but I am hearing mixed reviews from friends. I heard it is more organized.

Cheryl

julestx

3 Posts

I have just filled out all the paperwork to begin the combined MSN/MSN-HCA program at the UoP. I am so apprehensive and tense about it and I have no idea why. I've never done anything online before, so maybe thats it? Did anyone else feel this way?

I wanted to hear from others how the process works as far as getting loans. I tried to understand, I really did! But it all shot right over my head...I grasped that for some reason, I cant take more than one class (this bugs me a bit, gotta admit), and I also grasped that somehow, UofP will take almost all of the money even though I am taking the max allowed. The rep I spoke with tried to explain that I wont be taking Stafford Loans every 2 semesters, (isnt this the usual delivery of funds?) Instead, I will have to take many months of one class at a time, somewhere between 7 and 9 months of classes, before I am allowed to apply for further financial aid. Why is this so different from how education is normally funded? The answers I got were very convoluted. I really need to use financial aid money to purchase a fast computer, and to cover all my books. I am concerned that I wont be able to do this. If anyone has some advice or sees the situation differently, I'd love to hear from you.

Anyone out there have any info, advice, or interested/registered in this same program?

-Jules

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

UofP will take almost all of the money even though I am taking the max allowed. The rep I spoke with tried to explain that I wont be taking Stafford Loans every 2 semesters, (isnt this the usual delivery of funds?) Instead, I will have to take many months of one class at a time, somewhere between 7 and 9 months of classes, before I am allowed to apply for further financial aid.

I had to re-apply (financially) for my second year. It was not the whole procedure, just an update, not that bad. Honestly, money and such is above my head too..but the admission counselors talk you through it all. I really didn't have a difficult time at all. What happens is that the loans are over what you need, and Phx sends you a rebate check. I just got $1,200 from $$$ leftover from my BSN account.

So I would advise chatting with a counselor at Phx to take you through the steps.

And I would agree..yes you are nervous because you haven't taken an online course before. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite nice. Again, the counselor will walk you through getting set up, and I believe there is a practice course.

Hope this helps a bit. I wouldn't go back to school any other way!

Cheryl:groupwelcome:

PreemieNurse

46 Posts

I am going to start my 2nd class..the Organization one. Has anyone taken that one yet, and how was it? I start on Tuesday.

Cheryl :wakeneo:

julestx

3 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!

-Jules

+ Add a Comment