Nursing at Disneyland

U.S.A. California

Published

Has anyone here ever worked at Disneyland as an R.N.? Pros/cons? All feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My question is this: Are you ManEnough to work as an RN at Disney whilst dressed like Little Boy Blue? Or Sneezy? Can't wait to find out what the uniform looks like! (doesn't Snow White's remind you just a little of the old nursing uniforms, aka Florence Nightengale, complete with cape?) But I can guess the number one 'disease': tummy upset from being spun at 20000 RPMs in gigantic teacups right after eating 10 frozen bananas...

(Sorry, dont' know a darn thing 'bout working at Disney, but just couldnt' resist! :lol2: )

My question is this: Are you ManEnough to work as an RN at Disney whilst dressed like Little Boy Blue? Or Sneezy?

(Sorry, dont' know a darn thing 'bout working at Disney, but just couldnt' resist! :lol2: )

LMAO, I didnt know what your were talking about--then saw OP screen name :lol_hitti

I once checked into nursing at Disneyworld in Florida and they wanted more of a Public Health nurse. It seems they were looking for someone who was familiar with insect bites that are indiginous to Florida and people familiar with diseases during their types of climates. Basically Public Health type nursing. I thought they'd want someone who can speak several languages, but that wasn't necessarily the case. I'd imagine the more experience you have, the better your chances. Especially if you had ER experience because that might be similar to your patient population at a huge amuzement park. You'd sure meet a ton of people from all around the world. Good luck to you. Marie

Specializes in Tele, ICU, CCU, teaching.

At the hospital I used to work at a nurse on my floor worked part time at Disneyland. She didn't have any public health type experience, just tele for three years. Her only complaint was she had to work crazy hours that were sometimes inconsistant. She really enjoyed it and said it was pretty easy so that's why she choose it as her second job (after three twelves, if I'm going to work overtime it has got to be something easy or I'm too pooped!)

Most of the things she saw were kids with scrapes, bumps, headaches, etc. The occasional chest pain or dehydration case. I guess there are EMTs that do basic stuff out in the park or CPR if needed. She did say that you are absolutely not allowed to really treat. If someone needs a brace or ace wrap you cannot put it on, but can only give it to them to apply. The only thing she could do in a seroius case was apply oxygen until the parametics arrived. It kinda makes you wonder why they need an RN....but she could get her and her family/friends into Disneyland for free whenever she wanted :)

wow...can't treat anyone? mostly scrapes and headaches? give people their own bandages to put on? have the help of emts for cpr & any heavy lifting/ more serious stuff? plus...free admission to disney for friends and family? let me see if i have this right...no ivs, no charting all day, no standing on feet all day, no bed baths...and you like it so much that you come back on off-days to take a spin in those teacups once again? can see the stampede of nurse applications right now...(but before i send mine in, still would find it helpful to know if you have to dress like goofy).

if you won't laugh when life is funny, how can you hope to survive it when its not...

wow...can't treat anyone? mostly scrapes and headaches? give people their own bandages to put on? have the help of emts for cpr & any heavy lifting/ more serious stuff? plus...free admission to disney for friends and family? let me see if i have this right...no ivs, no charting all day, no standing on feet all day, no bed baths...and you like it so much that you come back on off-days to take a spin in those teacups once again? can see the stampede of nurse applications right now...(but before i send mine in, still would find it helpful to know if you have to dress like goofy).

if you won't laugh when life is funny, how can you hope to survive it when its not...

*runs to the website to download her application and beat the stampede to snow white's castle* :lol2:

this would be the perfect part-time gig! i'd even dress up in costume!

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I've heard similar accounts elsewhere. Along with the fact that a lot of the guests begin mentioning lawsuits the moment they get injured.

As for the question if I'm man enough to dress as Sneezy or Little Boy Blue, if it meant never doing another soap suds enema or NG tube, put me in heels and I'll play Cinderella.

Specializes in NICU.
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I've heard similar accounts elsewhere. Along with the fact that a lot of the guests begin mentioning lawsuits the moment they get injured.

As for the question if I'm man enough to dress as Sneezy or Little Boy Blue, if it meant never doing another soap suds enema or NG tube, put me in heels and I'll play Cinderella.

LMAO! :lol2:

I've heard similar things about nurses that work on TV or movie sets. It's a very small specialized field of nursing and many don't even know it exists. The nurses who have these types of jobs supposedly don't want the news getting out because competition is fierce enough as it is! I hear it's very good money and you get to be behind the scenes as they film. Only problem I heard was that they're not treated so much as nurses, or even human beings. I've heard they're called, "MEDIC!" or something like that by hoity toity celebrity types who need a Tylenol.

I wish I could remember where I read about this stuff, it was quite an interesting article.

The last time I was at Disneyland I saw someone faint near one of the rides. A whole crew showed up...paramedics, the RN, and other DLand crew....it was a full court press. There were so many medical people there, I'm not sure who did what.

I paid particular atten to the RN - I noticed her nametag....she had on khaki pants and a polo shirt w/DLand emblem.

i worked for disney in the attractions department for a few years

so here is what i know..

they only hire b.s.n nurses or adn with loads of experience

the pay is about $25 dollars an hour

most of the nurses are older so they work parttime and the younger ones have full time jobs at regular hospitals

Actually, I was a pt at Disneyland once a few years ago. I had a bad case of food poisoning (not contracted at D'Land, by the way), and I had thought I would be able to make it through the day. Shortly after arriving at the park, I nearly collapsed and spent the whole day in the first aid station on a cot. It is true that the nurse was not able to provide any treatment at all. they did not even take any vitals....only sort of monitored me. I.V. fluids would have been great, but not available. The nurse there was an ER nurse at Anaheim General at her real job - this was her second job. While I was there, various other minor cases came in - bumps and bruises, and the like. And they were were not dressed like disney characters - shorts and golf shirts, as I recall. I'm glad they were there, so my family could stay and have fun while I moaned on my cot in the first aid station.....

+ Add a Comment