Diabetic Pet Peeves

Specialties Endocrine

Published

I was responding to the forum on insulins and this popped into my head. A discussion on how to better care for a large and growing diabetic population.

Pet Peeve#1: People diagnosed with diabetes can eat sugar! or products made from sugar...cake, cookies, donuts, candy bars and chocolate. It all comes down to carb counting. All nurses should learn carb counting and insulin to carb ratios so they can better serve this population.

Pet Peeve #2: Type 1 and Type 2 are different. Although many type 2 diabetics require insulin...the action or reaction to it is different. Type 2 pts need to follow a diet regime that works with their antihyperglycemic meds. Type 1/ Type 2 on insulin can eat sugar products under the carb count guidelines and as long as there isn't excessive weight gain. Also know that exercise plays an important role in lowering blood glucose. Learn the differences so you can provide the appropriate care.

Pet Peeve #3: Although there is a large population of type 2 diabetic people, the population of type 1 diabetics and a latent onset is growing. Bone up on type 1.

Pet Peeve #4: No diabetic needs more than two insulins. Learn the onset and action of all insulins. Cater a program to work for your diabetic patient.

Pet Peeve #5: The brittle diabetics need DDAVP, not insulin.

Blood sugars can be controlled with the right program.

Pet Peeve#6: People with diabetes...DO WANT TO CONTROL THEIR BLOOD SUGARS. Contrary to popular belief...we do...it's a hard thing to do. We have it for life and sometimes...even with the best control...you still loose a limb, a retina detaches or you end up on dialysis. Oh well. But we can extend our lives as long as possible with good control.....70-120!

Can we get a Diabetic forum?

Shelly

Specializes in ER.

Are you a nurse?

I am

Are you a nurse?

Did your know that there are at least 11 hormones that the body produces that effect blood sugar levels? And Stress...oh what a problem for blood sugar control.

Did your know that there are at least 11 hormones that the body produces that effect blood sugar levels? And Stress...oh what a problem for blood sugar control.

Do you know and understand the causes of Type 1 & 2 Diabetes? Are you current on the current treatments for Diabetic? As a diabetic, I am aware of the role that stress plays in one's blood sugars, as well as the 11 hormones that can affect blood sugars. Are you aware of the microscopic changes in the human body, that take place in unconrolled, undiagnosed Type 2? Are you aware of the lack of current knowledge on the part of many of our peers? Are you aware of the overwhleming poor attitude of healthcare professionals who write off diabetics who have problems following their diections?

Some people need to update their knowledge.

Grannynurse:balloons:

Specializes in Med-Surg, Wound Care.

This is a new one on me... and hubby is type I for 46 years. I've never heard of this being given to DM patients, only Diabetes Insipidus.Do you have any studies for this use?

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

Sometimes it takes awhile just to find that program. Till then it helps to have an open mind on what works and what doesn't.

As a diabetic and a nurse I really appreciate this discussion. It's a tough disease to live with and sometimes you just want a vacation. I'm an insulin dependent Type 2. It's so nice to see the support here. I'm so tired of people who think it's easy to eat right etc. I'm losing wt. using Byetta. It's been a wonder drug. Anyone familiar with it?

Are you a nurse?

click on her profile by clicking on her name.

Specializes in Psych, Med/Surg, LTC.
Sometimes it takes awhile just to find that program. Till then it helps to have an open mind on what works and what doesn't.

Exactly. And every persons body is different, and will respond differently, irregardless if type I or type II.

I was responding to the forum on insulins and this popped into my head. A discussion on how to better care for a large and growing diabetic population.

Pet Peeve#1: People diagnosed with diabetes can eat sugar! or products made from sugar...cake, cookies, donuts, candy bars and chocolate. It all comes down to carb counting. All nurses should learn carb counting and insulin to carb ratios so they can better serve this population.

Pet Peeve #2: Type 1 and Type 2 are different. Although many type 2 diabetics require insulin...the action or reaction to it is different. Type 2 pts need to follow a diet regime that works with their antihyperglycemic meds. Type 1/ Type 2 on insulin can eat sugar products under the carb count guidelines and as long as there isn't excessive weight gain. Also know that exercise plays an important role in lowering blood glucose. Learn the differences so you can provide the appropriate care.

Pet Peeve #3: Although there is a large population of type 2 diabetic people, the population of type 1 diabetics and a latent onset is growing. Bone up on type 1.

Pet Peeve #4: No diabetic needs more than two insulins. Learn the onset and action of all insulins. Cater a program to work for your diabetic patient.

Pet Peeve#6: People with diabetes...DO WANT TO CONTROL THEIR BLOOD SUGARS. Contrary to popular belief...we do...it's a hard thing to do. We have it for life and sometimes...even with the best control...you still loose a limb, a retina detaches or you end up on dialysis. Oh well. But we can extend our lives as long as possible with good control.....70-120!

Can we get a Diabetic forum?

Shelly

Pet Peeve #7 ADA diet. No such animal but that doesn't stop the unknowledgeable.

Grannynurse:balloons:

Specializes in Telemetry & Obs.
I'm losing wt. using Byetta. It's been a wonder drug. Anyone familiar with it?

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes less than a month ago. I've been trying to control BGs with diet and exercise....I've lost 5 pounds so far and have been stepping up the exercise, but today I had to call and report a BG of over 300 Saturday night (we'd gone to a birthday party...I had 2 glasses of wine and a smidgen of cake...sigh) and a FASTING BG of 201 this morning. My doc called in a prescription for Glucophage, but I'd love to know more about Byetta. I soooo need to lose about 60 pounds.

I'm off to look up carb counting....wish me luck :mad:

+ Add a Comment