Too late to become a CRNA?

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

I have been at my current job for 16 years and am 34 years old. I recently decided to go back to school to complete my associates degree. (I only have 9 credit hours completed). I have a looong way to go for the ADN program. My "plan" consists of taking classes while working full-time and should be done in 4 years or so! That puts me at nearly 39 years old.

I really would like to be a CRNA. I love the surgery aspect and feel I would like that the most. Is it too late for me? By the time I am complete with my schooling...is there an age requirement to become accepted into a CRNA program? Unfortunately, going to school full-time is not an option for me. I have to work to pay my bills. I am completing my CNA next semester and plan to get a job as a CNA. I was hoping to work at a local hospital to gain experience while I get my ADN.

Do you think I have a chance?

Thanks everyone for your encouraging posts. I truly appreciate it. This has really motivated me and I am excited to start my classes!!!

I'm presently less than a year from finishing the crna program from Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth ,Texas and will be 53 when I graduate. This is the most rewarding and fun step so far in my life. I was told by a crna in 1988 that I was too old then, I was 35 and just beginning as an emt-paramedic. It was pretty discouraging news, but I kept at it and am almost finished. Mike

I'm 33 and will finish my BSN completion this May yeah!!! My plans are also for becoming a CRNA so I'll be looking at closer to 40 than 30 by the time I'm done. There's a lot of years left in ya-- go for it--I'm sure trying to! Best of luck to you.:)

I am 34 years old and just finished my MSN/CRNA. In my class of 30, there were approximately 10 people older than me, with the oldest at 48. It's possible.

Specializes in Surgical and Trauma ICU. OR-CNOR.

It is never too old. I will be 39 when I start in August 2006 at Pitt. This is something I wanted to do for a few years now and just needed to get my experience in the SICU. I figure that I will have about 20 working years left making pretty good money as a CRNA, and more importantly, taking care of my family.

Specializes in NICU.

I will be 33 when I graduate with my ADN May 2007. I am going to do a bridge for my BSN and then when my kids are older I am planning to apply for a CRNA program. (My youngest is three). So I won't even apply to the program til I am around 42. I figure I'll have tons of time ahead of me:) Of course, I may love some other aspect of nursing in the meantime and change my plans, but I doubt it!

You can do anything you want if you want it enaogh and are willing to work to get it. I'm 67 years ld (almost 68) and am a Nurse Practitioner and Physician /assistant (nationally certified in both) with a Master's in Education. I am teaching Nursing and for NLN accreditation for my program I need a Master's in Nursing...so I'm back in school doing just that. My seven children always ask if I know what I want to be when I grow up (; -} Who knows...maybe when I finish this I'll try for the Ph.D. Follow your dreams...

I'm presently less than a year from finishing the crna program from Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth ,Texas and will be 53 when I graduate. This is the most rewarding and fun step so far in my life. I was told by a crna in 1988 that I was too old then, I was 35 and just beginning as an emt-paramedic. It was pretty discouraging news, but I kept at it and am almost finished. Mike

:nurse: HI. That is really good to hear. I have also heard that age can play a factor in getting selected for CRNA school. I am 35 and I have an interview with TWU next month in Denver. Can you give me any insight into what to expect from the interview? I hear it can be brutal. Also, do you like attending school there? Thanks.

:nurse: HI. That is really good to hear. I have also heard that age can play a factor in getting selected for CRNA school. I am 35 and I have an interview with TWU next month in Denver. Can you give me any insight into what to expect from the interview? I hear it can be brutal. Also, do you like attending school there? Thanks.

TWU interviews in Denver? Are you being interviewed by a preceptor at the TWU clinical site in Denver?

I was under the (apparently wrong) impression that all interviews were conducted at the school you would be attending.

TWU interviews in Denver? Are you being interviewed by a preceptor at the TWU clinical site in Denver?

I was under the (apparently wrong) impression that all interviews were conducted at the school you would be attending.

Yes, the clinical instructors are present as well as the director of the program and maybe a few others. I think most do interview in Fort Worth, but some clinical sites do their own.

Yes, the clinical instructors are present as well as the director of the program and maybe a few others. I think most do interview in Fort Worth, but some clinical sites do their own.

Actually, I just received an email invitation a few hours ago to interview with TWU. And, within the invitation it explains that some clinical sites prefer to conduct their own interviews. Who knows, maybe we'll be classmates?

I have an interview this weekend at the University of New England and another one scheduled in about 3 weeks with TCU. Are you interested in any other schools besides TWU?

Actually, I just received an email invitation a few hours ago to interview with TWU. And, within the invitation it explains that some clinical sites prefer to conduct their own interviews. Who knows, maybe we'll be classmates?

I have an interview this weekend at the University of New England and another one scheduled in about 3 weeks with TCU. Are you interested in any other schools besides TWU?

No. I live in Dayton Ohio right now, but my husband is military, and he'll be teaching at the AF Academy in CO Springs. We'll be moving there in June. There's no other schools around there. Bummer. I had my eye on Duke and my hubby tried for a job there teaching ROTC but the AF would not let him do that. Will you be attending at FW? What if you are accepted to another school? Which is your first choice?

+ Add a Comment