Nightshift & Grad School?

Specialties NP

Published

I have just started my classes for my FNP. They are going great, problem is, I have just began a new job and am getting ready to flip to nightshift. I am looking forward to working nights for various reasons, but hesistant about how that will work with grad school.

I should add that I am only going part-time, have 7 hours. Each class meets once weekly except for one that is entirely online and only lasts half a semester, it finishes in October.

Throughout my entire school experience, I will never have more than 7 hours. I don't begin the NP clinical rotations until next year, so I could probably get days by then if I need too, but even then I will only have the one class or so. What do you all think? Is it possible or am I crazy for even trying? Anyone else worked nights and went to school?

Jayla

129 Posts

Just wondering--have you considered weekend option?

Jayla

I have just started my classes for my FNP. They are going great, problem is, I have just began a new job and am getting ready to flip to nightshift. I am looking forward to working nights for various reasons, but hesistant about how that will work with grad school.

I should add that I am only going part-time, have 7 hours. Each class meets once weekly except for one that is entirely online and only lasts half a semester, it finishes in October.

Throughout my entire school experience, I will never have more than 7 hours. I don't begin the NP clinical rotations until next year, so I could probably get days by then if I need too, but even then I will only have the one class or so. What do you all think? Is it possible or am I crazy for even trying? Anyone else worked nights and went to school?

cgfnp

219 Posts

I did it. I went full time school and worked full time, although that was a little nuts. (at times I saw bats flying around my head and thought Indians were chasing me)

candyndel

100 Posts

Did you consider an on-line degree? Then you can go to class at whatever time works for you. There are MANY reputable schools that offer on-line graduate degrees. I highly recommend on-line learning, it is the epitome of adult education!!

nursemomruns

389 Posts

I did it. I worked 12-hr shifts so I had to work fewer days and could have more days available for clinicals. I worked midnights for two days a week and days for two days a week. Grueling, but I did it. You'll find a way to do it, too. You have to accept that for those clinical hours, you're not going to have much of a life outside of school and work, otherwise it can be frustrating.

HillNPStudent

90 Posts

Specializes in Med-surg, Critical Care.
I did it. I worked 12-hr shifts so I had to work fewer days and could have more days available for clinicals. I worked midnights for two days a week and days for two days a week. Grueling, but I did it. You'll find a way to do it, too. You have to accept that for those clinical hours, you're not going to have much of a life outside of school and work, otherwise it can be frustrating.

Thank you all for your reply. I am looking forward to going to nights, just ready to get accustomed to the change and settled into a routine. I will only have one clinical per semester, once I get that far, the first ones I can manage-they are 60 clinical hours for assessment, 120 hours for peds, 120 hours for adult, then a 300 hour practicum. I am hoping to save up enough PTO time for the 300 hour practicum, so that will help cut down on the hours I have to work each week. My boss is extremely flexible with my schedule and me being in school, so that helps. Just having to adjust to everything I guess, the added stress and business, but I suppose in the end it will all be worth it.

+ Add a Comment