"you need more experience..."

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

Hi!!!

I graduated in May and worked in a behavioral childrens' hospital for 3 months and then moved to Florida. Then I got a job here working in a CCRC (retirement community). What I really want to do is work in a doctor's office. That's the nurse that I want to be. I am frustrated though because they all want experience...how the heck am I supposed to get dr. office experience if I can't get a job in an office????

I am gaining experience daily at work, but it's a hurry up, here's your pills, don't choke, OK seeya at bedtime.......not that I make it that way but that's what being a med nurse entails. I love my elderly and if I could spend more time with each and every single one of them, I would be so stoked. I want to spend time with people, wherever it may be. That's why I became a nurse.

i thought it was just me, everytime i look on the hospitals websites they want lpn II's and they want one years med-surg exp. it's very discouraging when i cant get into the branch of nursing that i want, i feel as if i'm being forced to do otherwise. how do i get around it?

i thought it was just me, everytime i look on the hospitals websites they want lpn II's and they want one years med-surg exp. it's very discouraging when i cant get into the branch of nursing that i want, i feel as if i'm being forced to do otherwise. how do i get around it?

*sigh* I'm in a similar situation.

Due to another job I had, I waited more than a year after graduating from nursing school to get a nursing job.

The hospitals around here hire LPNs, but they only want those with at least a year of hospital experience, or new grads that qualify for their "extern" program. Because I waited so long to get a job as a nurse, I don't qualify for these programs, and the only hospital experience I have is through my clinicals.

I now have a job on the weekends (two 12-hour shifts) at a nursing home. The hospital nearest to me does occasionally get temporary help from one (and only one) of the nursing agencies. This agency only hires people after setting up an interview, screening process, and orientation. The next orientation is in March, and I will be applying at this agency so I can (hopefully) get some hospital experience.

The agency is located in Atlanta Georgia, only about 25 miles from where I live now, but I am new to this area and traffic into Atlanta is horrendous. Hopefully, though, I will not get lost on the way there, get through the hiring process, and get some hospital work and much needed "experience".

My sister is in the nursing field and I got my nursing home job through "connections" of hers. I know classmates who had no hospital experience but got jobs at hospitals through "connections". Unfortunately, I have no hospital "connections" (It's a fact that a lot of the time it's not only "what" you know, but "who" you know when it comes to landing a good job.)

I am a firm believer that once you get your foot in the door somewhere and make a good impression, you have a good chance of being hired directly. Working through an agency can allow you to meet people at different facilities and procure flesh-and-blood "connections" as well as hone your nursing talents.

This site has been a great source of comfort and advice.

Good luck to all!

-Britton

*sigh* I'm in a similar situation.

Due to another job I had, I waited more than a year after graduating from nursing school to get a nursing job.

The hospitals around here hire LPNs, but they only want those with at least a year of hospital experience, or new grads that qualify for their "extern" program. Because I waited so long to get a job as a nurse, I don't qualify for these programs, and the only hospital experience I have is through my clinicals.

I now have a job on the weekends (two 12-hour shifts) at a nursing home. The hospital nearest to me does occasionally get temporary help from one (and only one) of the nursing agencies. This agency only hires people after setting up an interview, screening process, and orientation. The next orientation is in March, and I will be applying at this agency so I can (hopefully) get some hospital experience.

The agency is located in Atlanta Georgia, only about 25 miles from where I live now, but I am new to this area and traffic into Atlanta is horrendous. Hopefully, though, I will not get lost on the way there, get through the hiring process, and get some hospital work and much needed "experience".

My sister is in the nursing field and I got my nursing home job through "connections" of hers. I know classmates who had no hospital experience but got jobs at hospitals through "connections". Unfortunately, I have no hospital "connections" (It's a fact that a lot of the time it's not only "what" you know, but "who" you know when it comes to landing a good job.)

I am a firm believer that once you get your foot in the door somewhere and make a good impression, you have a good chance of being hired directly. Working through an agency can allow you to meet people at different facilities and procure flesh-and-blood "connections" as well as hone your nursing talents.

This site has been a great source of comfort and advice.

Good luck to all!

-Britton

Guess we are all in the same boat. I'm glad you guys are writing in here so that other LPNs can see what they are in for if they do not check their local job markets and hospitals BEFORE AND DURING their programs. Employer requirements shifted when I was in my first semester. Wish I had know then and had left. The "P" in LPN stands for purgatory and I know the frustration you feel not being able to get acute care experience.

In case your are wondering, sub acute in LTC isn't acceptable around here, either, for experience . That just another ploy to run you ragged, another stick and carrot situation, that will only benefit your local nursing home, not you. Employers want HOSPITAL acute care experience, end of sentence. I won't even go into the whole "go get your RN" argument. That's for another thread.

In the meantime, good luck. Please PM me because I would like to know how you guys are going to go about resolving your respective situations. Maybe we can help each other, even if it is only to hear each other out and compare notes. I suspect we aren't the only ones.

I finally found an IV class i start on tuesday so hopefully this will get my foot in the door. I'll let you know how things are going. I'm still looking in the paper in the meantime. But i am definately going to get my rn. There is this new hospice that opened up in my city, and of course they stated that their staff consists of dr's, rn's and hha......WHERE ARE THE LPN'S!!!???

I finally found an IV class i start on tuesday so hopefully this will get my foot in the door. I'll let you know how things are going. I'm still looking in the paper in the meantime. But i am definately going to get my rn. There is this new hospice that opened up in my city, and of course they stated that their staff consists of dr's, rn's and hha......WHERE ARE THE LPN'S!!!???

I haven't quite made a decision yet as to what additional skills would be the most helpful - the classes that are available are phlebotomy, EKG and IV. I'm thinking of phlebotomy only because a) its a requirement for the RN so I'll need it anyway and b) if I can't tread water any longer in LTC without going insane, at least I can fall back on phlebotomy for income. At least that is what I'm hoping. If people out there had to chose between the above, which is the most useful/helpful in landing a job in the hospital environment, even if, at this point, it is not as an LPN? Have very little money to waste on unhelpful certfications. If I have to work in another type of hospital position while finishing up my RN I will. LTC is definitely not my cup of tea.

Oh, as far as hospice is concerned, it is advised that you have at least a couple of years of med surg and familiarity with oncology since pain management and assessment skills are such an important thing in hospice. That's why you don't see many LPN positions in hospice.

Where is the IV class? How long is it?

IMO there is a great hospice in Largo if U don't mind the drive, they will also after a year of employment help U with the RN schooling costs!! I worked agency for them (living in North FL) and was driving down (staying) and doing a couple of shifts each week last spring/summer, and loved it though it isn't/wasn't practical now.

Where is the IV class? How long is it?

IMO there is a great hospice in Largo if U don't mind the drive, they will also after a year of employment help U with the RN schooling costs!! I worked agency for them (living in North FL) and was driving down (staying) and doing a couple of shifts each week last spring/summer, and loved it though it isn't/wasn't practical now.

Sorry it took me awhile to answer, the classes are at Erwing Tech on 2301 E. Hillsborough Ave, it costs $130.00 plus about $40 for the book, go to www.erwintech.org and look up part time evening courses

btw i found a job at Kindred Healthcare, i'm going to be working on ventilator unit....eeeks, if ever i was nervous this is it. But i'm glad i'll be doing something like this. The recruiter told me if i could handle ventilated patients i can do it all, i have 6 weeks of orientation and the max number of patients i'll be handling at the end of my orientation is 8.....wish me luck on my journey.

Didn't you all get IV certified in class? In KY it is a requirement.

btw i found a job at Kindred Healthcare, i'm going to be working on ventilator unit....eeeks, if ever i was nervous this is it. But i'm glad i'll be doing something like this. The recruiter told me if i could handle ventilated patients i can do it all, i have 6 weeks of orientation and the max number of patients i'll be handling at the end of my orientation is 8.....wish me luck on my journey.

8 vented patients? Sweet bloody Christ, that's insane. Good luck with that.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Emergency, Trauma.

Hello everyone!

As a reallly ne w grad (2/18/05) I started looking for a job in late December, and applied to jobs that required the 1-yr exp. part, and they are calling and I have been setting up interviews. My only advice is to look for those jobs, continue to apply for these jobs with no fear!!!

Healthcare is in need of nurses and why wait for another year when you can invest time in a nurse that is ready to start his/her nursing???

Experience can't come w/o a beginning!

+ Add a Comment