- Location Boston, Massachusetts
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-BSN, MSN-to-DNP, NP, PhD, Master's, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Northeastern University is a private institution that was founded in 1898.
The Bouvé College of Health Sciences School of Nursing offers undergraduate to graduate level programs.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
This program is for the nursing undergraduate student looking to become a Registered Nurse (RN) and graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The degree is offered only on a full-time basis and will take five years to complete. This program is offered on campus and partners with local outstanding Boston-area hospitals to give nurses the hands on clinical training they require.
Undergraduate prerequisite courses are taken during the freshman year. After that, beginning in the sophomore year, nursing classes are introduced.
Options for Nurses Seeking Additional Degrees
Many nurses are looking to advance or add additional degrees to their BSN. At Northeastern University Bouvé College of Health Sciences School of Nursing the option to combine your BSN with the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is possible.
Options for Non-Nurses with Undergraduate Degrees - Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Boston Campus/Charlotte, NC Campus)
This program is for students who already have a baccalaureate degree in another field and want to become a nurse and graduate with a BSN in nursing. This program will also prepare the nursing student to sit for the RN-NCLEX, the licensure exam to become a registered nurse. The program is a blended learning (online and classroom) 16-month full-time enrollment, 67 credits, and combines hands on clinical time and classroom time, which gives the student the skills to effectively practice as a registered nurse.
Online RN to BSN
If you are a nurse who currently holds an RN license, you are eligible for the RN-BSN online program. This program is possible to complete in three semesters. There will be a 66 clinical hour experience that has to be completed in a public health/community program required to be part of the eligibility process.
Masters/Specialties/Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)
Direct Entry Nursing (MS)
The Direct Entry Nursing program at Northeastern University Bouvé College of Health Sciences School of Nursing allows students who already possess a baccalaureate degree in another field to add to their degree a masters-prepared nursing degree in the specialty of their choice. This degree program lasts sixteen months and includes nursing-specific classes including practicum, and prepares the student to sit for the national licensing examination (NCLEX). After successfully passing the NCLEX and working as a registered nurse for six to nine months in a full-time cooperative experience, students continue in the MSN program.
- Direct Entry Nursing (MS) Hybrid
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (NP) (MS, CAGS)
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP (MS, CAGS)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) (MS)
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) (MS, CAGS)
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) (MS, CAGS)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) (MS, CAGS)
- US Army Grad Program in Anesthesia Nursing (DNP)
- Nursing Administration (MS)
- MS/MBA Nursing
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The DNP program prepares nurses to become leaders in the clinical and management roles including:
- Nurse executives
The focus is on research involving the underserved communities and their vulnerable populations.
Admission (not all inclusive)
Admission into the DNP program is for registered nurses with at least 2 years of advanced experience as a nurse. Nurses must have a master’s degree in nursing, or special considerations for another health degree. Those who hold an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) license must show 500 practicum hours in a previous master’s program.
Post-Master’s students will continue their education by completing 48 semester hours, including their dissertation. If coming from a Post-baccalaureate program, 60 semester hours will be completed. If enrolled full-time, students entering with a master’s degree can expect to complete the program in three years, bachelor students four years; with the option to go part time at a longer completion time.
US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing (USAGPAN)
Students will be taught and mentored by military and civilian faculty.
Graduates are then eligible to sit for the national certification examination for nurse anesthetists, administered by the Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists.
Graduates earn a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree from Northeastern University and go on to serve as Army CRNAs for 5 years with the option to stay in and continue to serve while increasing rank and salary.
Doctor of Nursing Practice Nurse Anesthesia (DNP NA)
It takes thirty-six months of full-time study to receive the seventy-seven semester hour credits required for the DNP NA degree in nursing.
Students graduate in May each year and are eligible to sit for the national certification examination for nurse anesthetists.
- Pass Rate for first time test-takers on the National Certification Exam (NCE) offered through the National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA) for the class that graduated in 2018 is 95.65%
- The employment rate for the class that graduated in 2018 is 100 percent
- The attrition rate for the graduating class in 2018 is 16%
Nurse Innovation and Entrepreneurship (NIE) Certificate
Nurses of all disciplines and specialties are innovators of the healthcare industry. Northeastern University offers a Nurse Leadership and Entrepreneurship (NIE) Certificate. The program is designed for the mid-career nurse. This is an immersive four-day leadership program. Nurses completing the certificate course will receive the tools and resources necessary to serve as natural leaders as they propel innovation and growth within their individual healthcare organizations.
3-credit version (can be used as an elective for graduate and doctoral tracks)
30 contact hour version
Accreditation and Approval
Northeastern University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
The Baccalaureate, Master's and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The nurse anesthesia program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA).
The prelicensure programs at Northeastern University School of Nursing Boston campus are approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
NCLEX 2018 Pass Rates
- Accelerated BSN - 84%
- BSN - 92%
- MSN - 93%
Rankings and Designations
US News & World Report (2019)
- #44 (tie) in National Universities
- #72 in Best Value Schools
- #8 in Most Innovative Schools
- #22 (tie) in Nursing-Anesthesia
- #70 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #50 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #202 (tie) Best Global Universities
- Best College Locations in America #8 of 1,553
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #10 of 599
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #37 of 1,592
- Top Private Universities in America #39 of 975
- Best Colleges in America #46 of 1,647
- Best College Campuses in America #88 of 1,408
- Best Value Colleges in America #102 of 1,590
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Massachusetts #1 of 20
- Best College Locations in Massachusetts #2 of 59
- Best College Campuses in Massachusetts #5 of 60
- Most Diverse Colleges in Massachusetts #6 of 57
- Best Colleges in Massachusetts #7 of 61
- Top Private Universities in Massachusetts #7 of 48
- Best College Dorms in Massachusetts #13 of 59
- Best Value Colleges in Massachusetts #15 of 61
- Best Colleges in Boston Area #5 of 38
- Best Value Colleges in Boston Area #10 of 38
- #217 Top Colleges
- #149 in Private Colleges
- #114 in Research Universities
- #93 in the Northeast
- #294 America's Best Value Colleges
Northeastern Univesity is ranked #123 in MONEY Magazine's 2018 Best Colleges For Your Money.
Northeastern University Bouvé College of Health Sciences School of Nursing has been designated as a National League for Nursing Center of Excellence in Nursing Education.
Edited by sirI