- NCLEX Pass Rate 96
- Location Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Programs ASN/ADN, LPN, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
In 1994, Baton Rouge Community College (BRCC) was founded after a Desegregation Settlement Agreement between Louisiana and the U.S. Department of Justice in an effort to eliminate remnants of a dual-race system in the state’s post-secondary educational structure.
The Associate Degree nursing program was established in 2007.
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN)
The BRCC Department of Nursing's mission is to offer an affordable collegiate nursing curriculum that is able to transfer seamlessly to 4-year schools.
The program consists of 5-semesters. Designing the curriculum is based on the National League for Nursing Educational Competencies for Graduates of Associate Degree Nursing Programs. After receiving the Associate of Science in Nursing degree, students are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Exam for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) and then be eligible for state licensure as an RN.
Admission Criteria (may not be all inclusive)
- Grade of “C” or better in Math 101,College Algebra, English 101, Biology (A&P I), Psychology (Intro)
- Art or Humanities elective from college-approved courses
- Cumulative GPA of 2.80 or higher in the 16 credit hours of prerequisite courses above
- Score of 75 or better on each section of the nursing admission exam; composite score of 75 or higher
- Submission of personal health history & physical examination
- TB skin test; various immunizations/vaccinations
- Urine drug screen
- CPR certification
- Criminal background checks are required for all applicants. If you have been charged with, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, been convicted of, or committed a criminal offense that involves a crime of violence or distribution of drugs, then you may be denied the right to practice nursing as a student in Louisiana.
LPN to RN Entry Track
Admission requirements remain the same as the RN program applicant.
LPN to RN Additional Admission Criteria (not all inclusive)
- Achieve a score of 850 or better on each nursing challenge exam
- Applicant must be a graduate of an approved LPN program
- Applicant must hold an unencumbered license as a practical nurse in the state of Louisiana
Technical Diploma in Practical Nursing
The Technical Diploma program consists of a four-semester, 59-credit hour program. Graduates receive a Technical Diploma (TD) in Practical Nursing and become eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) as required by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners (LSBPNE).
Acadian and Westside campuses are home to the practical nursing program.
The LPN Licensure Exam (NCLEX) pass rate for 2016 was 88.9%.
Admission Criteria (not all inclusive)
Program applicants must achieve pre-determined Accuplacer, Compass, or ACT scores.
The LSBPNE requires practical nursing applicants to submit the following: birth certificate, fingerprints, and a criminal background check. Those who have been charged with, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, been convicted of, or committed a criminal offense that involves a crime of violence or distribution of drugs may be denied admission into the BRCC practical nursing program.
Accreditation and Approval
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited the Baton Rouge Community College Associate Degree Nursing Program.
Baton Rouge Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Louisiana State Board of Nursing approved the Baton Rouge Community College Associate Degree Nursing Program.
Rankings and Accolades
Best Community Colleges (2019)
- #486 Community College (out of 521; top 95%) in USA
- #11 Community College in Louisiana
BRCC was listed a 2019 Best Community Colleges in the Baton Rouge Area by Niche.com (2019).
Edited by Joe V