100% of reviewers agree that tuition and other associated costs are reasonable.
Reach Your Goals!
100% of reviewers believe academic standards help students reach their goals.
100% of reviewers believe support provided by teachers and staff are great.
Vanderbilt University Nursing Program
The School of Nursing at Vanderbilt University offers learning opportunities including, but not limited to, accelerated courses of study, several entry options, and select opportunities for nurses and non-nurses alike. Academic programs include:
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- PhD in Nursing Science
- Post-Master's Certificates
- Post-Doctoral Program
Beyond the Master’s Programs, Vanderbilt University offers Advanced Practice Nursing specialties and dual certificates including:
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner – (AGACNP) - Hospitalist
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner – (AGACNP) - Intensivist
Hospitalist Nurse Practitioner
A unique addition to the Vanderbilt courses is the option to become an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Hospitalist (AGACNP Hospitalist).
What do AGACNP Hospitalists do?
AGACNP Hospitalists are in hospital providers for patients who need in-depth medical care during their hospitalization. The hospitalist is prepared by Vanderbilt to provide multi-disciplinary services from admission to discharge. The hospitalist pathway is rigidly focused on providing care to critically ill patients and acutely ill, but not critically ill patients throughout the hospital.
Hospitalists are often utilized at both tertiary centers and community hospitals, therefore, securing a position in these centers and/or hospitals should not be difficult.
Special Note: Due to individual State Boards of Nursing and/or State Higher Educational rules, Vanderbilt School of Nursing may not be able to provide clinical placements and/or location choice(s), but every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate your placement request.
How to become an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP):
To become an AGACNP, the student must graduate from the Vanderbilt Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program.
Graduation from the Vanderbilt MSN program prepares the student to sit for the AGACNP certification examination and then become eligible for prescriptive authority consistent with individual state law(s).
Intensivist Nurse Practitioner
Another unique addition to the Vanderbilt program of the School of Nursing is to become an Intensivist Nurse Practitioner.
What do Intensivist Nurse Practitioners do?
Those who desire specialization as an Intensivist Nurse Practitioner will provide comprehensive care to adults with life-threatening illnesses in the intensive and critical care settings. The student will be part of multidisciplinary teams, mostly found in tertiary centers. This is an adrenaline-pumping job. The student can also specialize and treat different types of critically ill patients such as those in cardiac arrest, systemic shock, respiratory failure and/or arrest, multiple organ failure, overwhelming sepsis, acute coronary syndrome (MI), stroke, and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Many Intensivist Nurse Practitioners will seek the unique opportunity to join a myriad of highly specialized clinical teams. These teams include:
- Critical Care Teams
- Rapid Response Teams
- Shock Teams
- Burn Care Units
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care Units
- Medical Intensive Care Units
- Neurological Intensive Care Units
- Surgical Intensive Care Units
To become an Intensivist Nurse Practitioner, the student must graduate from the Vanderbilt MSN program which will prepare the individual to sit for the AGACNP certification exam. This will then allow the successful candidate to be eligible for prescriptive authority consistent with individual state law(s).
Vanderbilt University Advanced Practice Nursing Specialties Including Dual Certifications:
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency Nurse Practitioner (Dual AGACNP/FNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP)
- Nurse-Midwifery (CNM)
- Nurse-Midwife/Family Nurse Practitioner - Dual Focus
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) - Acute Care
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) - Primary Care
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) (Lifespan)
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner - (WHNP)
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner/ Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner - Dual Focus
“Why should I choose Vandy?”
Here are just a few reasons our students choose Vanderbilt University:
2017 U.S. News and World Report rankings:
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing's (VUSN) Nurse-Midwifery specialty is ranked #1 in the nation.
- The Vanderbilt MSN program is ranked #13.
- The DNP program is ranked #10.
If you are searching for a way to advance your nursing practice to become an AGACNP Hospitalist, an Intensivist Nurse Practitioner, or even a Midwife, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing can help get you get started on the journey.
Come join us!