Broward College | 93% NCLEX Pass Rates
Broward College offers ACEN accredited Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) programs, including the LPN to RN transition program, and CCNE accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) programs.
Avg Rating: 2.2
NCLEX Pass Rates
- On Campus
Programs BSN, ASN/ADN, Other
Location Fort Lauderdale, FL
Website URL Visit Website
In 1959, Broward College, a public institution, was established. In 2012, Broward College was named one of the top 10 percent of community colleges in the nation by the Washington D.C.-based Aspen Institute.
Broward College is based internationally as well. The four locations include: Ecuador, Peru, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam International Centers. Due to the amazing international connections, the college offers study abroad opportunities for students in Spain, Germany, Italy, England, India, and Vietnam.
Associate Degree in Nursing
The Nursing Program is a full-time program that has two tracks: Generic Option and the LPN-RN Transition Option.
After successful completion of the required courses for the Associate of Science in Nursing degree, the student is eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN). The Florida Board of Nursing is the state agency authorized to determine if the applicant qualifies to take the NCLEX-RN for licensure as a registered nurse.
The nursing program consists of generalize courses as well as nursing courses. The course subject matter includes:
- Medical/Surgical nursing
- Pediatric nursing
- Health care of women
- Nursing for psychiatric settings
- Nursing trends, practices and roles
Beyond the classroom learning, students will have the opportunity to learn in the clinical setting. The program hours are about 20 to 36 hours per week combined in the classroom and clinical setting. The full-time program consists of 72 credits.
The credits for the clinical practicum are 56 hours and 16 hours of theory for each credit. The generic path is for students who have never taken courses and the traditional program is for those who are LPNs and ready to transfer into the RN program. The generic students have 1,008 hours of clinical hours to complete whereas LPN-RN transition students attend 728 hours of clinical. Clinical hours are held in the acute care and extended care facilities as well as in nursing campus lab settings.
For the students who have completed all general education courses, only the nursing program courses and clinical rotations remain. That student will enroll in four didactic (lecture) courses and two clinical courses for a total of 13 credits in the first semester.
For the student who has completed the general education courses, the remaining four semesters (with the exception of one summer term when students enroll for five credits) include registration in two didactic courses and two clinical courses for a total of 10 credits per semester.
Students have time prior to clinical rotations to practice hands-on training. Theory content complements the clinical application of skills.
The nursing courses are offered at three locations: North, Central and South Campus.
RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Lecture classes once a week, during the day and evening hours, on weekdays
- 8 Week BSN course taught in short framework
- Subjects and topics include Nursing Theory, Research for Nurses, Nursing Leadership Development, Advanced Health Assessment Lab and Pathophysiology / Pharmacology
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Current, unencumbered registered nurse license in the State of Florida
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- An Associate of Science or higher from an accredited institution recognized by Broward College
- Statistics is no longer required for admission
The program is completed usually in 12 to 18 months.
- The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited the Associate Degree in Nursing program.
- The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
- The Florida Board of Nursing approved the Associate Degree in Nursing program.
- Broward College was ranked one of the best community colleges in Florida by Schools.com.
- Community College Week's Top 100 Associate Degree Producers ranked Broward College fifth nationally for conferring associate degrees.
- Broward College ranks ninth in the nation in nursing and seventeenth in health programs and related careers.
- CollegeChoice.Net 50 Best Community Colleges for 2016-2017 named Broward College #2