Jump to content

Schools medical policy?

School   (960 Views | 13 Replies)

MegWorth has 11 years experience .

978 Profile Views; 68 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I have been working at private school (K -12) for almost 3 years and I do not have my own office. Before I came on board they had the office manager handling all the medical issues and gave the nurses office to another admin team member. I sit in the front office out in the open with no privacy - Staff, parents, and visitors can hear everything.  

From my understanding HIPAA doesn't apply to schools, is this correct?

Does FERPA protect students medical info?

I have stressed my concern to my boss about having my own office. I do not think it's right that the students do not have a private place to speak with me about personal and sometimes embarrassing medical concerns. I am hoping there is something stating that schools should have a nurses (medical) office to protect students medical info. 

Also, I am not the only one concerned about not having my own office. Several of my students have mentioned to me that they wish I had my own office so, they can speak with me in private. My students and I try are best to whisper in hopes no one hears but it's not good enough for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 331 Posts; 1,357 Profile Views

Where do you clean wounds? Where do kids use the restroom?? Where do they lay down when ill?? 

OMG!!! Yes, you need your own office!! Privacy just beeing one of many issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MegWorth has 11 years experience.

68 Posts; 978 Profile Views

12 minutes ago, EnoughWithTheIce said:

Where do you clean wounds?

By my desk or when the private bathroom is available.

Where do kids use the restroom??

Private bathroom in the front office

Where do they lay down when ill?? 

I lay a cot out in our spirit room where we sell merchandise. - This room is not private. 

OMG!!! Yes, you need your own office!! Privacy just beeing one of many issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flare is a ASN, BSN and specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

2 Followers; 5 Articles; 4,205 Posts; 35,688 Profile Views

it's all fun and games there until a kid pukes all over the main office floor.  For all the reasons mentioned, it should be a no brainer that you need a private space.  How far is the "spirit room" from your desk?  Can they change that around and make the spirit room your office and put their merchandise elsewhere?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SaltineQueen specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

1 Follower; 881 Posts; 6,383 Profile Views

Is there space somewhere that could be converted to your office or would it be a big remodel?  You absolutely need a private space.

Student medical records are covered by FERPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glitternurse has 3 years experience as a LVN and specializes in pediatrics.

231 Posts; 1,533 Profile Views

I am at 5 sites, 2 sites have actual nurses offices, one of which also doubles as storage. I have one that is a converted storage space and 2 that are converted admin offices, one of which I share with the behavior specialist (it's a nurses office on the days he isn't on campus). I am kicked out of my office at all but one site several times a month for CPS, outside specialists or other admin that need the space to interview students and/or families. I then work in the main office with no desk and sometimes no chair. Not as bad as you have it for sure, but I definitely  can relate to your frustration. It seems everyone else's need for space is more important than the nurse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MegWorth has 11 years experience.

68 Posts; 978 Profile Views

8 hours ago, Flare said:

it's all fun and games there until a kid pukes all over the main office floor.  For all the reasons mentioned, it should be a no brainer that you need a private space.  How far is the "spirit room" from your desk?  Can they change that around and make the spirit room your office and put their merchandise elsewhere?  

The spirit room is about 15 feet from my desk. They cannot turn the room into a nurses office. My hope is they will decided to move my coworker who is using the nurses office. There are several big offices she could share with someone.  

9 hours ago, SaltineQueen said:

Is there space somewhere that could be converted to your office or would it be a big remodel?  You absolutely need a private space.

Student medical records are covered by FERPA. 

 My hope is they will decided to move my coworker who is using the nurses office. There are several big offices she could share with someone.  Thank you for letting me know what FERPA covers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MegWorth has 11 years experience.

68 Posts; 978 Profile Views

4 hours ago, Glitternurse said:

I am at 5 sites, 2 sites have actual nurses offices, one of which also doubles as storage. I have one that is a converted storage space and 2 that are converted admin offices, one of which I share with the behavior specialist (it's a nurses office on the days he isn't on campus). I am kicked out of my office at all but one site several times a month for CPS, outside specialists or other admin that need the space to interview students and/or families. I then work in the main office with no desk and sometimes no chair. Not as bad as you have it for sure, but I definitely  can relate to your frustration. It seems everyone else's need for space is more important than the nurse.

What gets me is a few of my coworkers have a office that they hardly use! I forgot to mention that parents and grandparents have made comments about  me needing my own office for privacy. I let my boss know but I think the parents need to start telling my boss and not me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lifelearningrn has 6 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

2,322 Posts; 24,973 Profile Views

17 hours ago, MegWorth said:

 My hope is they will decided to move my coworker who is using the nurses office. There are several big offices she could share with someone.  

There is a clinic on your school that a non-medical person is using as an office, and you, the nurse, has to assess students in the front office, with no privacy? What is the position of your co-worker, using what should be your office??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ruby_jane has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

5 Followers; 2,790 Posts; 11,625 Profile Views

Holy H-e-doublehockeystics...

Whether it's HIPAA or just plain privacy because not everyone needs to know - this is not OK. I wish you luck in changing it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MegWorth has 11 years experience.

68 Posts; 978 Profile Views

2 hours ago, lifelearningrn said:

There is a clinic on your school that a non-medical person is using as an office, and you, the nurse, has to assess students in the front office, with no privacy? What is the position of your co-worker, using what should be your office??

The assistant to the Principal and VP. She could easily share an office space with someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in school nurse.

1,579 Posts; 14,480 Profile Views

On 10/17/2019 at 8:13 AM, SaltineQueen said:

Is there space somewhere that could be converted to your office or would it be a big remodel?  You absolutely need a private space.

Student medical records are covered by FERPA. 

Private schools come under HIPAA, while public schools are under FERPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.