Jump to content

Reprimand for wanting to Transfer

Relations   (751 Views 11 Comments)
by Christine Benson Christine Benson (New Member) New Member

78 Profile Views; 4 Posts

Hello fellow Nurses, I need some advice. Currently, I am working on Med/Surg, but my passion is Pacu which I worked in for 15 Years in Germany.  Our Policy states, that new hire Nurses have to stay in there Position for 6 Month. Just before my 6 Month mark ( March), I applied for an Open Pacu Position and also talked to my Director about my intention to transfer, just to be told that I have to wait 12 Month since I had more than 2 Weeks Orientation. Background being, that I came from a completely different Healthcare System, and It took me a while to get accustomed to the Charting and Standards in general. Of Course, I let the Supervisor of Pacu know about HRs Decision. So far so good, I was just going to wait for September ( my 1 year Anniversary)  and reapply. Well, 1 Week ago I found out, that the Pacu Lead was negotiating with my current director to let me transfer. Up until then, I had no idea that this was going on in the Background !!  My director took me immediately of the Schedule for the next Pay Period ( August 18)  Now I am having a Huge Problem on my Hand, because something came up, and the offered Pacu Position is not available until the end of September! My concern now is, does my current Director have the right to refuse to put me back on Schedule until the Transfer is complete? What are the steps that I can take to find help? I can not afford not having a Paycheck for 6 Weeks! I feel like I was thrown under the Bus and now being reprimanded for something that I have no part in.  Any advice on what I can do now is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy post, but its a complicated situation, and I am freaking out!

Edited by Christine Benson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

1 Follower; 3,151 Posts; 44,877 Profile Views

Your situation is a mess.  All I can think of is politely, calmly, no accusations, arrange a meeting with your current director. Tell her you really need to, want to, work until the end of September. Ask her if there is anyway you can work per diem, even a different shift or weekends? If she isn't helpful tell her you are going to talk to HR and see if they can  help you. It's just polite to let her know what your plans are. That you're going over her head so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

9 Followers; 3,344 Posts; 24,474 Profile Views

Yes, have a meeting with your current director. Tell her you don't understand the details of what has happened, but that your understanding is that the two of them have been negotiating this - - but now there is a problem and you are going to need to have scheduled hours on your original  until the transfer is complete.

If this is not taken care of pretty much right then, I would immediately schedule a meeting with HR. If you need to meet with HR explain things very clearly: Current manager and future manager were trying to work out the details of your transfer, and somehow without any further input from you, there is now a situation where your current manager has taken you off the schedule 6 weeks before you are needed in the new unit.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

9 Followers; 3,344 Posts; 24,474 Profile Views

By the way, you used the term "reprimand" in your title...

I would not phrase it this way unless you know it to be true. It's very possible you were not taken off the schedule as a reprimand (punishment) but rather a misunderstanding, or an agreement between the two managers that was made in good faith but has since fallen through for reasons out of their control that have nothing to do with you.

Approach this as an oops (mistake) that needs simple correction (you need to be back on the schedule); it seems premature to assume bad intentions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

4 Posts; 78 Profile Views

14 hours ago, JKL33 said:

By the way, you used the term "reprimand" in your title...

I would not phrase it this way unless you know it to be true. It's very possible you were not taken off the schedule as a reprimand (punishment) but rather a misunderstanding, or an agreement between the two managers that was made in good faith but has since fallen through for reasons out of their control that have nothing to do with you.

Approach this as an oops (mistake) that needs simple correction (you need to be back on the schedule); it seems premature to assume bad intentions.

Well, it is exactly what it feels like to me. I tried talking to her but only received the same Answer, that she signed me off after this Pay Period and that it is basically my Problem and that I have to work it out with Pacu. The Unit Manager from Pacu even tried talking to my current Director, to no avail. Pacu is working on having me placed in ICU until the Position opens, as Part of orientation and to fresh up on Ventilator settings, Drips, etc. Tonight is my last Shift on my old Unit and as of this Minute, I don't know when and if I will work next week. I am very upset as this whole situation is out of my control and I feel like I am in the middle of some underlying internal Issues between both Units. I will wait until Monday and then talk to HR as Pacu just submitted the transfer request to them on Thursday. On a side note, I saw my current director this morning after work, waited to say Goodby to her and wanted to thank her for having me working on her Unit, and got brushed off with a mere "good luck", no Handshake, no smile, nothing. To me, that is as unprofessional as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

4 Posts; 78 Profile Views

On 8/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, brownbook said:

Your situation is a mess.  All I can think of is politely, calmly, no accusations, arrange a meeting with your current director. Tell her you really need to, want to, work until the end of September. Ask her if there is anyway you can work per diem, even a different shift or weekends? If she isn't helpful tell her you are going to talk to HR and see if they can  help you. It's just polite to let her know what your plans are. That you're going over her head so to speak.

Oh, I tried several times to speak to her. She will not put me back on, telling me, that I wanted to transfer and that it is pacus Problem if the Position is not available. I have been getting the cold Shoulder Treatment ever since this subject started last week. Thankfully, my new Manager is trying her best to keep me posted and is working on a solution to keep me working until the official date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

9 Followers; 3,344 Posts; 24,474 Profile Views

51 minutes ago, Christine Benson said:

Well, it is exactly what it feels like to me. I tried talking to her but only received the same Answer, that she signed me off after this Pay Period and that it is basically my Problem and that I have to work it out with Pacu.

 

Okay well then it's understandable that you would be incensed given her demeanor. I wasn't trying to chastise you or criticize your feelings; you simply didn't describe any of this in your first post and it wasn't clear if you were talking about "what ifs" or reality. Now it is clear. Anyway, it's still a word of caution that is in your own best interest regardless of her behavior. Let her look like the problem she is. Venting here is good but don't give anyone who could help you reason to think that you are part of the problem. 👍🏽🙂

 

56 minutes ago, Christine Benson said:

Pacu is working on having me placed in ICU until the Position opens, as Part of orientation and to fresh up on Ventilator settings, Drips, etc.

That sounds like a good opportunity.

Best wishes ~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no.intervention.required has 5 years experience as a ADN, RN and specializes in stroke and cardiac nursing.

183 Posts; 4,528 Profile Views

Sounds like you are  not going to be able to work it out with the old director.  Talk to scheduling or time keeper, and ask for any open shifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseSpeedy has 18 years experience as a ADN, LPN, RN.

1,350 Posts; 18,051 Profile Views

On 8/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, no.intervention.required said:

Sounds like you are  not going to be able to work it out with the old director.  Talk to scheduling or time keeper, and ask for any open shifts.

If unable to get orientation shifts worked out with PACU director I would try this. The other option is per diem work with agencies doing whatever you have the qualifications for in the interim. Some have the hiring and hours set up in DAYS, others take about a month. Really depends on how desperate they are for nurses and you for work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DialysisDreamin is a BSN and specializes in Nephrology.

3 Posts; 33 Profile Views

Can you ask to be placed in the float pool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse SMS has 8 years experience as a MSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

4 Followers; 5,819 Posts; 46,077 Profile Views

Are you posting under your real name with your real picture? If so I would change those things immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×