I'm wondering what all the experienced psyche nurses feel are the "must have" components for a great orientation?
Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing to getting some wonderful input...
Apr 10, '05
I have just finished writing a manual to orientate new grads to the mental health environment so I'll list a few components from that.
1. Basic Principles of Mental Health
2. Acute Mental Distress through the age contiuum - childhood, adult, aged care
3. Ethics and Staff Attitudes
4. Warning Signs of Anger and Potential Violence
5. Skills in handling difficult situations - De-escalation techniques etc.
6. Use of Restraint
7. Legal issues - Mental Health Act/Law
8. Medications in Mental Health
9. Glossary of terms used in Mental Health