Now an RN, how to use my MSW to advantage?

  1. I am currently working as an RN in inpatient psych in Washington State. I also have a masters in social work. Sadly, I obtained that degree in 1987 and did not get licensed due to family difficulties at the time. Now I am wondering if I can become a registered counselor? I don't really want to go back to school for MSN...I am in my early 50's now...any suggestions?
  2. Visit LaruaRN profile page

    About LaruaRN

    Joined: Sep '07; Posts: 27; Likes: 17
    Inpatient Psych RN; from US
    Specialty: 2 year(s) of experience in Psychiatric


  3. by   Thunderwolf
    You need to check with your state licensing boards. In some states, the title "Counselor" is a protected LPN, RN, MD, DO, LSW, LISW. Anyone can call him/herself a therapist...not protected. But, in several states, the title "Counselor" is licensed.

    Check with your state.