Jump to content

Private Duty as First Job for New Grad?

Nurse Beth   (499 Views 7 Comments)
by Nurse Beth Nurse Beth, MSN (Advice Column) Writer Innovator Expert

Nurse Beth has 30 years experience as a MSN and specializes in Med Surg, Tele, ICU, Ortho.

15 Followers; 88 Articles; 227,865 Visitors; 1,815 Posts

advertisement

 

Dear Nurse Beth,
I am a new grad RN, ADN searching for my first nursing job. I have received two solid offers one in LTC and the other Private Duty. I have worked LTC as a CNA while finishing prerequisites for nursing school so I am familiar with the environment, but I’ve been out of the field nearly 5 years, therefore, I’m extremely anxious about the patient load, veteran nurses, gossip, etc.

I was shocked to get an offer from the Private Duty Agency especially without any experience and I’m intrigued by having just 1 patient for 12 hours. My ultimate goal is in the Geriatric field as well as Hospice or Palliative care. My question is what job should I accept?🤦🏾‍♀️

Dear New Grad,

It is not recommended to take private duty as your first job out of nursing school. You have so much to learn and you need an environment to learn in, such as a hospital setting.

Working private duty will not prepare you for any other job. Your options will be very limited as a nurse with nothing but private duty experience.

It's understandable that you are nervous about the role and the workload in LTC, but don't make a decision based on fear. You made it through nursing school, and you can do this.

Best wishes, 

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

3 Followers; 2,468 Visitors; 1,255 Posts

You say you have your ADN, have you considered starting your BSN? Many online programs out there.  Many hospitals are now requiring it or a plan to obtain, but it varies by area.  Good luck with your job search! As Nurse Beth said, don't take this job if you don't have to.  So many things can go wrong and you won't have that solid footing that experience can give you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BiscuitRN has 4 years experience as a BSN, RN.

1,888 Visitors; 445 Posts

I did private duty at my first job.  They had an excellent new grad program (a MUST if you're a new grad in private duty).  I later became a school nurse.  Some old coworkers have gone on to do pediatrics, ER, L&D, medsurg, rehab, working at some of the top hospitals and facilities in the country.  Some went back to school for advanced degrees and are NPs, directors of nursing at LTC facilities.  If the company has a new grad program it could be a great spot that leads to great opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

877 Visitors; 30 Posts

On 6/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, Hoosier_RN said:

You say you have your ADN, have you considered starting your BSN? Many online programs out there.  Many hospitals are now requiring it or a plan to obtain, but it varies by area.  Good luck with your job search! As Nurse Beth said, don't take this job if you don't have to.  So many things can go wrong and you won't have that solid footing that experience can give you.

Yes! I actually start my BSN program this fall.  I declined the Private Duty job offer due to my lack of experience and have accepted the LTC position.  So far so good, I truly feel that it is the best choice for my career.  Thank you for the advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

877 Visitors; 30 Posts

On 6/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, BiscuitRN said:

I did private duty at my first job.  They had an excellent new grad program (a MUST if you're a new grad in private duty).  I later became a school nurse.  Some old coworkers have gone on to do pediatrics, ER, L&D, medsurg, rehab, working at some of the top hospitals and facilities in the country.  Some went back to school for advanced degrees and are NPs, directors of nursing at LTC facilities.  If the company has a new grad program it could be a great spot that leads to great opportunities.

This position was for a trach & vent patient.  The agency offered no new grad program, just one day orientation and 6 hour training with an experienced nurse at the patients’ home.  Something I should have never considered in the first place.  Thanks so much for the advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BiscuitRN has 4 years experience as a BSN, RN.

1,888 Visitors; 445 Posts

10 hours ago, sweetestc said:

This position was for a trach & vent patient.  The agency offered no new grad program, just one day orientation and 6 hour training with an experienced nurse at the patients’ home.  Something I should have never considered in the first place.  Thanks so much for the advice

That's definitely not enough training.  Sounds like you've decided to go another direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

877 Visitors; 30 Posts

9 hours ago, BiscuitRN said:

That's definitely not enough training.  Sounds like you've decided to go another direction.

Yes, I did it’s LTC for me 😃 Definitely the better choice for me as a newbie I need other nurses to run to if I need it until my skills are perfected and my confidence is solid.  I would have considered the Private Duty position if they had offered a better new grad orientation like suggested like 3+ months 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×