Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×

Only using Uworld to study?

NCLEX   (1,817 Views 14 Comments)
by GlitterPrincess GlitterPrincess (Member)

13 Likes; 340 Visitors; 15 Posts

advertisement

Hey guys,

I could really use some second thoughts and opinions to calm my anxiety and nerves! 🙈My NCLEX-RN is currently scheduled for mid-february. I have been using Uworld to study consistently for about a week now (I usually do at least 100Q/day, read all the rationales, make flashcards etc). I am also making charts for lab values, medication-suffixes etc. I feel like it's been an emotional rollercoaster... some days I feel like I am scoring great on the tests, the next I feel like I know nothing. On one hand it can be a confidence booster, then on the other hand it has me questioning my own knowledge and ability. Ultimately though I feel like I have learned a lot, and am more confident in answering NCLEX style questions. I have solely been using Uworld to study, and that's the only formal study material I am planning to use (other than youtube, and other miscellaneous internet resources as I go). I just have a few questions for those of you who have written your NCLEX already and whom mainly used Uworld to prepare for same. 

When did you feel ready to write the NCLEX (is this even possible)? The reason I am asking this is because I have read so many conflicting opinions on this, and I am considering rescheduling mine for sooner. I am set to finish my Q-bank and self assessment by the end of the month, and don't want to drive myself crazy spending more than a few days after that reviewing/studying... thoughts on if that sounds like a good plan or not?

Did you feel like Uworld adequately prepared you to write (and pass) the NCLEX? I have read a lot of people talk about how they took a review course (Hurst, Kaplan etc) or read through additional texts (Saunders etc) in addition to Uworld. I have not taken a review course or cracked open my Saunders text, but I feel like I am getting an adequate review using only Uworld. I am just worrying because maybe I am missing something, or am not actually adequately preparing myself (if that makes sense). Like I feel like I am, but maybe I'm not? I would love to hear from anyone who solely used Uworld, and what their thoughts are on this!

Thanks❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nam6e is a BSN, RN and works as a MICU.

2 Likes; 748 Visitors; 21 Posts

i used world for one of my attempts thought it was close to what i saw on the NCLEX style, but the bad thing was i only learned the material they went over in the the questions. I did not learn anything new unless it was covered in the questions. My critical thinking skills were definitely a hit or miss depending on the question. I thought I was ready, but i went through 265 questions and failed by one category. It was not until i used Hurst that I felt that i was critical thinking. I was learning the bare minimum, but it was enough to get me through the question. It by no means taught me everything, but it got me to my comfort zone. Still felt that i failed when it was over. However, after 200+ questions i found out after a few days i passed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

direw0lf has <1 years experience as a BSN.

26 Likes; 10,332 Visitors; 1,023 Posts

I passed using mostly uworld in 75 qs first time. My school offered us Hurst, and I didn't think it helped. It was very rushed and simplified imo. I thought uworld helped my critical thinking. After reading the reply above me, it just goes to show that everyone will be different.  I guess it's gotta be what works for you.  I will say though that I didn't think the NCLEX was as hard as uworld. The day before my NCLEX exam, I had finished all the uworld questions, and I redid ones to boost my confidence. The morning of the NCLEX, I redid about 20 uworld questions to make my confidence even higher.  You have to really take uworld's rationales to heart, and use critical thinking to expand on what the rationales teach. Good luck! Don't psych yourself out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Likes; 340 Visitors; 15 Posts

23 hours ago, direw0lf said:

I passed using mostly uworld in 75 qs first time. My school offered us Hurst, and I didn't think it helped. It was very rushed and simplified imo. I thought uworld helped my critical thinking. After reading the reply above me, it just goes to show that everyone will be different.  I guess it's gotta be what works for you.  I will say though that I didn't think the NCLEX was as hard as uworld. The day before my NCLEX exam, I had finished all the uworld questions, and I redid ones to boost my confidence. The morning of the NCLEX, I redid about 20 uworld questions to make my confidence even higher.  You have to really take uworld's rationales to heart, and use critical thinking to expand on what the rationales teach. Good luck! Don't psych yourself out!

Thank you so much for your reply!

My school did not offer any additional prep-courses, but I know a few people who took them and paid for them privately (specifically Hurst). One of the nurses I know said his experience with it was... well... to put it nicely, he thought it was a waste of his money because it was VERY basic information, and he said our school does a really good job of teaching us more than that throughout our degree. I took his advice (because we went through the same program), and opted out of taking Hurst... I feel like Uworld is great so far, but I definitely was having second thought about not taking Hurst (mostly just worrying that I was missing out or something). I am glad to hear you also found it kind of useless. As bad as that sounds, but it makes me feel like "okay see you don't need to take it in order to pass"! My plan is to finish the Q-bank, review the flash cards and notes I've made, go over questions I got wrong and then do the self-assessment test. I ended up rescheduling the NCLEX for Feb 5th because I know I am going to drive myself crazy reviewing my notes for longer than a week! 


Again, thanks for your reply it was very encouraging and helpful! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

direw0lf has <1 years experience as a BSN.

26 Likes; 10,332 Visitors; 1,023 Posts

On 1/16/2019 at 11:29 PM, GlitterPrincess said:

Thank you so much for your reply!

My school did not offer any additional prep-courses, but I know a few people who took them and paid for them privately (specifically Hurst). One of the nurses I know said his experience with it was... well... to put it nicely, he thought it was a waste of his money because it was VERY basic information, and he said our school does a really good job of teaching us more than that throughout our degree. I took his advice (because we went through the same program), and opted out of taking Hurst... I feel like Uworld is great so far, but I definitely was having second thought about not taking Hurst (mostly just worrying that I was missing out or something). I am glad to hear you also found it kind of useless. As bad as that sounds, but it makes me feel like "okay see you don't need to take it in order to pass"! My plan is to finish the Q-bank, review the flash cards and notes I've made, go over questions I got wrong and then do the self-assessment test. I ended up rescheduling the NCLEX for Feb 5th because I know I am going to drive myself crazy reviewing my notes for longer than a week! 


Again, thanks for your reply it was very encouraging and helpful! ❤️

You're welcome... I think your plan is perfect!  Also what worked for me was about a week before my exam I really piled on the questions, like 200 a day and did rationales (bc I wanted to finish all the questions) some people that may not work for but my scores improved a lot by doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 Likes; 6,319 Visitors; 522 Posts

I used other programs, like Kaplan and ATI and felt it waste of time and money. I only used them because it was required by my school. I did UWORLD  for a week or so and I passed on my first attempt. If you use UWORLD correctly, you will pass. When I say correctly , you do the practice questions and take your time to go through all the answers and rationale, even on the ones you got correct.  The great thing about UWORLD is the detailed information that is provided on  the rationales of each question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

13 Likes; 340 Visitors; 15 Posts

8 hours ago, johsonmichelle said:

I used other programs, like Kaplan and ATI and felt it waste of time and money. I only used them because it was required by my school. I did UWORLD  for a week or so and I passed on my first attempt. If you use UWORLD correctly, you will pass. When I say correctly , you do the practice questions and take your time to go through all the answers and rationale, even on the ones you got correct.  The great thing about UWORLD is the detailed information that is provided on  the rationales of each question. 

Thanks for your response! 

I have to say the more and more I've been practicing questions the more confident, and less anxious, I have become. My scores are even improving, so I'll take that as a sign that I am getting better at critical thinking and application. I always review the rationales (right or wrong), unless I am 100% positive I know why I got the question correct. I am loving Uworld thus far, and will be recommending it to everyone I know! I have also started listening to the Mark K. audios that someone shared on here. They have been awesome as well! Obviously I'll see how I'm feeling after I write it- it might be feeling a bit different story 😂. I have been reading a lot of people say to be confident going into it, and trust in your knowledge and experience. To just breath, and take it question by question. ☺️

Thank you for your input, it further validates my decision to utilize Uworld as I prepare for the NCLEX! Two weeks until the big day 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Like; 11 Visitors; 1 Post

I solely used UWorld, for 5 weeks, 3-5 hours, 5-6 days a week. I passed in 75 questions! UWorld rocks. What I did was take a 75 question practice quiz each day and then wrote down rationales in a notebook for each one I did not know, whether I got it right or wrong (I totally got some right by guessing). I also wrote down lab values and went through those once or twice a day. 

Edited by QRS1029
Add more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quota has <1 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a Oncology.

14 Likes; 1 Follower; 3,321 Visitors; 259 Posts

I mostly just used UWorld and passed in 80 questions. My school required a HESI exit exam, which we used UWorld to study for really, then we had to attend Hurst review.  I’d agree Hurst review is a waste of time mostly.  It’s a very general review of what you should have learned in school.  A few nemonic were nice but certainly not worth the time.

I can’t say enough good things about UWorld, I think it’s fantastic NCLEX prep.  I went through the entire q-bank a couple days prior to my exam, did one of my assessment tests a few weeks prior and the second after I finished the q-bank.  Read ALL of the rationales even if you get them right, good tidbits to be found in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Likes; 25 Visitors; 4 Posts

I mainly used UWorld and passed in 75 questions the first time. As others have already said, make sure you are reading the rationales and truly understand why you got the question right or wrong. I didn’t make any flash cards or write anything down, just not my personal style. One problem I had was I would do so many questions (like 300+ per day) that my brain started to feel fried and it seemed like it was becoming counterproductive. I think 75 or so per day is a perfect amount. Also, I paid the extra money for the self assessment and thought it was well worth the money as it gives you an idea of where you stand. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quota has <1 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a Oncology.

14 Likes; 1 Follower; 3,321 Visitors; 259 Posts

1 hour ago, Bearcat-RN said:

I mainly used UWorld and passed in 75 questions the first time. As others have already said, make sure you are reading the rationales and truly understand why you got the question right or wrong. I didn’t make any flash cards or write anything down, just not my personal style. One problem I had was I would do so many questions (like 300+ per day) that my brain started to feel fried and it seemed like it was becoming counterproductive. I think 75 or so per day is a perfect amount. Also, I paid the extra money for the self assessment and thought it was well worth the money as it gives you an idea of where you stand. Good luck!

Agreed on not overdoing it on questions each day.  I had a long time between activating my UWorld subscription and actually taking my NCLEX. We got subscriptions through school so activated to study for our HESI exit exam in July, classes ended first week of August and we had a whole month before we got our ATT.  Scheduled my NCLEX for mid September.  I averaged 40-50 questions a day and took a day off a day here and there. No burn out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Likes; 340 Visitors; 15 Posts

UPDATE: I wrote my exam yesterday, and I got my office results today. 

I PASSED 🤩😊🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×