Excelsior: California by reciprocity?

  1. Just a quick question, since I can't seem to find a solid answer.

    I know Excelsior grads can't sit for the NCLEX-RN in CA, but if I am licensed in another state after having graduated from Excelsior, can I be licensed by reciprocity?
  2. Visit Venus Envy profile page

    About Venus Envy

    Joined: May '05; Posts: 34; Likes: 5


  3. by   suzanne4
    First, there is no such thing as license reciprocity. Only the NCLEX exam has reciprocity for all states, meaning that the results are accepted by all states since it is a national exam.

    Each state can set their own requirements as far as what they will accept as far as education. CA will not permit a nurse to endorse that went thru the Excelsior Program and was not enrolled prior to 2003 in the program. They will not accept that program for initial licensure as well as endorsement.

    If you take the time to do a search, you will find several threads on this same topic here.
  4. by   NurseEllis
    Ya look at my thread, if you didnt register w/ EC before the deadline in 2003 then no, you cannot sit for the NCLEX or 'endorse' into CA per the BON at this time.