In no way do I want to put down staff nurses, but sups have frustrations and need to vent too!
In that spirit, here is the official, but unfinished, policy book for supervisors. Feel free to add your own ideas.
1) ER staff must greet supervisor with a smile on every visit.
2) A friendly greeting is required before sups will handle anything smelly or sticky.
3) If you are crabbing about a policy for the third time (or more) you will get the next admission.
4) If you have a bright idea but refuse to present it to your manager we do not act as human dictaphones. Put it in writing.
5) Any sup who misses break because she is breaking others has the right to scavenge for edible products on the units. Employee and dietary fridges are fair game.
6) A cardiac arrest entitles the sup to a free soda.
7) So does a death.
8) Or a patient transfer/OB delivery without housekeeping.
9) If we call a doc for the same life threatening issue more than twice they must donate their fee to the Nurses' Day Fund. Double indemnity if they cuss, hang up, or complain about us ruining their beauty sleep.
10) ALL professions must be responsible for their own PI and paperwork issues, nursing is not just a well paid secretarial pool.
11) Noteworthy OB delivery announcements will include the name(s) of the nurse(s)who attended.
12) Any meeting item requiring follow up will automatically be dealt with at the nurses' discretion (if at all) until said follow up is received in writing.