Jump to content

Nurse practitioner GPA requirements

NP Students   (1,375 Views | 15 Replies)
by Sarah Ihnat Sarah Ihnat (New) New

144 Profile Views; 5 Posts

So I’m just wondering for all you nurse practitioners, nurse practitioner students what your acceptance GPA was into your NP program?? Also what school & state please. I am at a 3.4 and feel it is not high enough to be accepted into nurse practitioner program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umbdude has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

2 Followers; 975 Posts; 14,449 Profile Views

It depends on the program. 3.4 is well within range to get into most NP programs with the possible exception of CRNA program or highly competitive FNP programs.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 144 Profile Views

7 minutes ago, umbdude said:

It depends on the program. 3.4 is well within range to get into most NP programs with the possible exception of CRNA program or highly competitive FNP programs.

Good luck.

Just makes me so nervous! I am in northeast Ohio. I know the requirements say a 3.0, is there anyway for me to research the acceptance rates or the typical GPA they take??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umbdude has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

2 Followers; 975 Posts; 14,449 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, Sarah Ihnat said:

Just makes me so nervous! I am in northeast Ohio. I know the requirements say a 3.0, is there anyway for me to research the acceptance rates or the typical GPA they take??

USNews might have that kind of information, but I wouldn't rely too much on that because it really depends. Are you a Direct-Entry applicant? If so, it's generally known that DE applicants have a higher GPA threshold.

If you're still in school, try to raise your GPA. If you've already graduated, GPA is a number you cannot change. Your focus is better spent on other elements of the application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 144 Profile Views

13 minutes ago, umbdude said:

USNews might have that kind of information, but I wouldn't rely too much on that because it really depends. Are you a Direct-Entry applicant? If so, it's generally known that DE applicants have a higher GPA threshold.

If you're still in school, try to raise your GPA. If you've already graduated, GPA is a number you cannot change. Your focus is better spent on other elements of the application.

Not a direct entry! BSN nurse! Thank you for the help 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JWEMT has 2 years experience and specializes in Critical Care.

162 Posts; 4,711 Profile Views

2.4 GPA I got into my program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 144 Profile Views

22 hours ago, JWEMT said:

2.4 GPA I got into my program

2.4 or 3.4?? Also how much experience did you have??

Just now, Sarah Ihnat said:

2.4 or 3.4?? Also how much experience did you have??

Also was this for RN or nurse practitioner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JWEMT has 2 years experience and specializes in Critical Care.

162 Posts; 4,711 Profile Views

2.4 

1 year nursing experience 

 

NP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SopranoKris is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

3,078 Posts; 32,941 Profile Views

Most programs require at least a 3.0 GPA, but some do look at your nursing grades compared to your overall GPA. I'm in the dual role track at University of South Alabama. They require a 3.2 GPA, but will make exceptions if your nursing course & science/math GPAs meet the threshold. 

When I applied, they did a breakdown of GPA as follows: cumulative GPA, nursing course GPA, science GPA, math GPA, freshman GPA, sophomore GPA, junior GPA, senior GPA, humanities/writing GPA, elective GPA. That way, say if you goofed off your freshman year, but did stellar work your other years, you wouldn't necessarily be dismissed for consideration if you showed improvement. Or if you had a poor GPA when you were young, but went back to school later and had good grades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 144 Profile Views

2 hours ago, JWEMT said:

2.4 

1 year nursing experience 

 

NP

Awesome!! What program?? 

2 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

Most programs require at least a 3.0 GPA, but some do look at your nursing grades compared to your overall GPA. I'm in the dual role track at University of South Alabama. They require a 3.2 GPA, but will make exceptions if your nursing course & science/math GPAs meet the threshold. 

When I applied, they did a breakdown of GPA as follows: cumulative GPA, nursing course GPA, science GPA, math GPA, freshman GPA, sophomore GPA, junior GPA, senior GPA, humanities/writing GPA, elective GPA. That way, say if you goofed off your freshman year, but did stellar work your other years, you wouldn't necessarily be dismissed for consideration if you showed improvement. Or if you had a poor GPA when you were young, but went back to school later and had good grades.

That is awesome! I’ve just been so on edge that I won’t have good enough grades to get into an NP program 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JWEMT has 2 years experience and specializes in Critical Care.

162 Posts; 4,711 Profile Views

College of staten island

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocknurse is a MSN, APRN, NP and specializes in Critical Care and ED.

1,367 Posts; 27,610 Profile Views

Depends on the program and specialty. In my acute care program the requirement was 3.5. I had a 4.0 so no problem, but there were over 100 applications for 15 places so the competition was fierce. Other programs are not so strict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.